The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My front splitter on my Lotus Elise decided to part away from the front clam. The wind blew over the splitter instead of going under it and so it ripped the splitter out of the clam.

I made this video at past midnight so my apologies if I didn't speak too clearly, I was trying to keep it down and i was tired as well.. of course being upset didn't help either.

Video link down below.

Lotus Front Splitter Shattered (Ripped splitter bolts out of the front clam) - YouTube

Do you think I can bondo the splitter back to the clam?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't think that was wind. It would require too much down force to do that. From the looks of your splitter, looks like you hit some thing and pushed the whole front end back.

That clam is toast. The only possible way is to rebolt both into new holes but the rigidity of the clam will be weaker and not recommended.

Sorry to see that....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Clam is not toast at all, can EASILY be repaired.

The lip I would trash, not worth the time to repair it.

Like he said, wind didn't do that, you hit something.

No offense, but if you are asking a question like this then this repair is above your level. Visit a local body shop.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
What Chazz said, air flow did not do that! and that clam can, maybe even be fixed with out removing it. Next time use 1/4" plastic rivets to attached it, so when you hit something the rivets will shear and not tear big*** holes in your clam.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure I didn't hit anything, The previous owner had a splitter and he cracked it over driveway and took it off, so I think that made the previous bolt holes not strong with little fractures on the underneath of the clam. & overtime through vibration they got worse and finally gave out.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I'm not going to say it wasn't the wind, simply because the splitter was installed so poorly that it might have just taken time for the bolts to pull through the material.

Repair the clam and install a new splitter properly. A properly installed splitter won't get separated from the clam by "the wind".

San

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good luck fixing it it honestly doesn't look TOO bad, it couldve been worse!

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
I've had a splitter for years ((Is that a lowtush splitter??) if it is it is VERY well built. You hit something!! Bird, road debris etc. Sorry but it happens. Mine has withstood years of 130+ mph lap after lap esp at WGI and Monticello.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
absolutely fixable - and use a thick bead of highest quality GE Silicone on the front clam/splitter join line to eliminate the possibility of wind working the joint. Will add more adhesion too. Sorry bro - but easy fix - you can glass it yourself... i did mine. Grab the Harbor Freight detailing gun and some paint & clearcoat w/hardners, hi build primer from a good paint shop, laquer thinner for cleaning the gun, some S glass, E Glass, peel ply, SP resin, sandpaper, 150 watt 2 head halogen lamps (HF) for softening the star shield and curing the glass, respirator and have a clam bake party! 12 hours work with a lunch break in there. That includes paint and clearcoat.
Also - IMO Sir Lotus's clam plates will do a much more effective job of protection. But the splitters look cool, and serve a function...... above 80mph+/-?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Splitters are consumables.
Fix it and move on.
I mostly agree, but they shouldn't fail if properly installed with no contact. One of the reasons I can't justify the Reverie front splitter. Just a matter of time/bad luck before it's toast.

San

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
whoa just watched the video, insane!

good luck having that fixed.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Pull the clam and get the fiberglass reinforced at the chin. The splitter looks fixable and would be easy to repaint black. I think your main problem is the fact that I don't see washers. Without the washer the fiberglass is not strong enough because the load is not distributed. Those bolts also look pretty long and may rub against the oil lines. I would check them if you decide to take the clam off.
I recently hit the concrete stop at a parking spot with a big bang and was surprised not to have any damage. The splitter if put on right and with a reinforced clam will protect the chin.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i personally dont think he hit anything either... based on that video there are no cracks or even structural damage to the splitter itself...

it looks like some heavy bolts were used to install it (that could certainly work against the install if wide enough washers weren't used)... i would agree that the install itself may have caused the splitter to start sagging at a certain speed & it finally gave out after enough force ripped the bolts from the clam

its certainly fixable as other have said, but when you reinstall it, make sure to have enough contact area from washers & much smaller bolts so it doesn't rip through again

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it was a Lowtush splitter & the hardware from his kit was used. But it's not the splitters fault, the underside of the clam wasn't completely rigid to begin with because of the previous owner cracking his front splitter . I had used the same holes that were there before.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The wind isn't supposed to deflect off and go underneath the car. That's not how a splitter works. It's very design is to produce down force. And the amount of downforce produced isn't enough to break off a splitter (unless it was poorly installed and broke off due to vibrations).

I think you must have bumped the splitter one too many times, and add to that the vibrations going over even minor bumps at speed (like in the video) combined with a crappy installation (lack of washers and possibly overtightened nuts) caused it to break through the clam and come loose. Next time use proper washers, and supplement with VHB tape between bolts.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
The installation was done by an amateur.
Fender washers should have been used at the least and
preferably an aluminum bar connecting the mounting locations.
Laying a few extra sheets of fiberglass inside the clam mounting
points would be good as well.

Another poster had a better idea of using plastic rivets instead of
noncompliant steel bolts as fasteners.

You are very inexperienced and need help.

-Robert

·
Registered
338 Posts
Before you guys are too hard on him, remember that sometimes these things are more important than 100 how-to threads. How many lotuses are saved annually because of that iconic qball pic of a lotus resting vertically? Could/should he have used better mounting equipment? Yeah....but this is a lesson he's not going to forget.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
I've had a splitter for years ((Is that a lowtush splitter??) if it is it is VERY well built. You hit something!! Bird, road debris etc. Sorry but it happens. Mine has withstood years of 130+ mph lap after lap esp at WGI and Monticello.
What did you use and how did you attach your splitter?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts