1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I think it all old news. I think the only new quote is the "Lotus executive said that until debt refinancing has been competed, “there is a material uncertainty which may cast significant doubt over the group"" and they created an article around it.

Of course there is doubt about them surviving until the restructuring is finished but that is something along the lines of I could die tomorrow if I run down the middle of a highway.....

These articles are stating the amount of cars sold to the end of March - it's Jan 13th. This is last years info. Production has been up in 13 with the Exige S although it still probably isn't anywhere near where they need/want it.

Based on other recent articles it seems like there is some truth in there but DRB are still cleaning up Danys mess and until they finish, there will be a mess. These reports really seem to be rehashed/re-edited old info to create an article based on a quote....

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
i feel for their position - the danny debacle put new car development years back, and buried them in debt, so they are really painted into a corner now. shoulda,coulda,woulda... it would have been nice if danny had at least left something of value behind....

IF they can dig themselves out of the hole he put them in... they are a fantastic management team.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The Bahar debacle really did set Lotus back years. It's a sizable hole that they'll have to dig themselves out of, and even before Bahar they were behind the competition. I really hope they can do so, but it's a big task.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
This is very old news based on the Financial Results for FY2013, which LOTUS now published. However Lotus Fiscal year 2013 ended last March so all this is related to the DB debacle. Lotus is now nearing the end of their FY2014, which has been a real step forward.

It would be nice if the press did their homework (or at least LOTUS did their PR), but maybe that is just expecting too much.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
before:
treading water with awesome technology (EV tech, and VVA platform) and interesting product in the pipeline (new esprit)

during"
* see my auto signature

after:
ruined business relationships, tremendous debt was wasted on??, awesome technology shelved, new product shelved.

current:
owners trying to salvage the ship danny sunk

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
The Bahar debacle really did set Lotus back years. It's a sizable hole that they'll have to dig themselves out of, and even before Bahar they were behind the competition. I really hope they can do so, but it's a big task.
Lotus was bankrupted long before he was even a concept, if it makes you guys feel better we can all blame Mr, Bahar... but the truth is Lotus doesn't have a product with the workmanship and price worth buying but then again is Bahar's fault for not making those cool looking models lol

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Some may disagree, but I really wish they'd made the new esprit. I loved everything about the look and performance and it could have floated the brand like the Elige. As for it being a heavier car, it think the Elige has the lightweight legacy covered for now.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
In doubt again? Gesh. "How many of you secretly hoped for Lotus to go under". rotfl

·
Registered
978 Posts
Some may disagree, but I really wish they'd made the new esprit. I loved everything about the look and performance and it could have floated the brand like the Elige. As for it being a heavier car, it think the Elige has the lightweight legacy covered for now.
They did make it. It's called the Huracan.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Lotus was bankrupted long before he was even a concept, if it makes you guys feel better we can all blame Mr, Bahar... but the truth is Lotus doesn't have a product with the workmanship and price worth buying but then again is Bahar's fault for not making those cool looking models lol
Lotus was already behind the 8 ball, but Bahar set them back even more. He spent money like a drunken sailor with nothing to show for it. If the funds were better managed, we might have ended up with a new product or two. Instead all we got were some pretty autoshow static models.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Quick, make the 6 cylinder Exige street legal and send her over!

·
Registered
294 Posts
They won't

They lost me as a customer. I would have bought the new v6 exige.

The Evore is outdated and outclassed by all the competition. It offers no advantage over BMW, Porsche, and Corvette. It is behind heavily in engineering and quality.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
And after they satisfy 100% of the demand by selling maybe 2500 over the first two years, then what?

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
And after they satisfy 100% of the demand by selling maybe 2500 over the first two years, then what?
Although I wouldn't fly, how about making helicopters? then again with the cheap velcro they use they would probably all fall from the sky... -eek- rotfl

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Lotus' future has always been in doubt, that is certain. It would be abnormal for it not to be.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
before:
treading water with awesome technology (EV tech, and VVA platform) and interesting product in the pipeline (new esprit)

during"
* see my auto signature

after:
ruined business relationships, tremendous debt was wasted on??, awesome technology shelved, new product shelved.

current:
owners trying to salvage the ship danny sunk
rotfl but nicely summed up:D

·
Registered
952 Posts
To be fair, have they even sold 2,500 Evoras yet? The Exige V6 just seems to be more in line with Lotus' established niche. Granted that niche isn't a money maker, but when your company is reeling, consolidating to your niche and then organically growing out is probably a better plan than abandoning the niche completely. Porsche and Aston Martin went through some lean years, but they are where they are now partly because they never abandoned their core market, so their expansion products had an identity associated with them in the marketplace.

Regardless, this discussion is academic. I'm sure the US isn't an important market in Lotus' eyes anyway.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts