The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
In 1986 Lotus was a subsidiary of GM..... I bet you can thank the GM ownership for the FWD experiment (90's Elan).

Anyhow....
Chevrolet Corvette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wiki said:
In 1986, the Corvette team approached Lotus, then a GM subsidiary, with the idea of developing an ultra-high performance vehicle based on the C4 Corvette. With input from GM's "Corvette Team" of engineers and designers, Lotus designed a new engine to replace the traditional pushrod L98 V-8 that powered the standard C4. The result was the LT5, an aluminum-block V-8 with the same bore centers as the L98, but with four overhead camshafts and 32 valves. Lotus designed a unique air management system for the engine to provide a wider power band by shutting off 8 of the 16 intake runners and fuel injectors when the engine was at part-throttle, while still giving the ZR-1 375 hp when at wide open throttle. As Chevrolet had no facility available which could manufacture the new LT5, construction of the engines was subcontracted to Mercury Marine, a company in Stillwater, Oklahoma which normally specialized in high-performance marine engines.

Lotus also aided in the development of the ZR-1's standard "FX3" active suspension system, which would provide the basis for active suspension systems found (as optional equipment) on all Corvettes since.[/b]

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Elan was a pretty good handling little car tho....Id own one just to have it honestly =D

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
[offtopic]^^^ Ahh but would you trade your Elise for one? Or would you trade a classic Elan (FR setup) for one? Is it any wonder that Lotus never made any other FWD cars before or since? :D[/offtopic]

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Uhhh..no.. fwd was being looked at by Lotus a year prior to GM's involvement and purchase of Lotus.

History of the Elan M90
Soooo GM not saying "no" is the same thing as saying "yes"?

I don't claim to know how much autonomy Lotus was given under GM ownership. No matter FWD & Lotus no longer mix, so it's sort of a dead-issue :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
In 1986 Lotus was a subsidiary of GM..... I bet you can thank the GM ownership for the FWD experiment (90's Elan).
Soooo GM not saying "no" is the same thing as saying "yes"?

I don't claim to know how much autonomy Lotus was given under GM ownership. No matter FWD & Lotus no longer mix, so it's sort of a dead-issue :D
Lotus was working on the FWD Elan prior to GM buying into Lotus. Lotus was planning on using a Toyota engine/trans, and GM stopped that and changed it to a GM engine (Isuzu).

The Engine in that Corvette (I'm assuming it's a ZR-1) was designed by Lotus for GM. Lotus makes much of it's money consulting for other manufacturers - including GM. That was why GM bought into Lotus - not for the cars, but for their engineering expertise.

As for the people that constantly "bad mouth" the M100 Elan, it is because you never drove one. The M100 Elan is every bit a Lotus when it comes to handling.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ I'm not here to badmouth the M100, that would imply I care about it. *shrug*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts