The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, does anybody own this helmet for track days and can recommend? For me it looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It looks like its a motorcycle helmet, not a car helmet. They have different impact ratings/standards. Most track day organisers will require an SA (ie car) helmet.

It does look great though

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the U.S., most track event organizers require Snell certification, currently SA2020. Check the rules wherever you're located.

My opinion: get this if you like to accessorize with a helmet :)

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
In the U.S., most track event organizers require Snell certification, currently SA2020. Check the rules wherever you're located.

My opinion: get this if you like to accessorize with a helmet :)
As far as I know, SA2020 will not be released until October. So, the current standard is SA2015.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
The ad says it’s a motorcycle helmet. Can’t use on track for DE events. Here is my custom painted Lotus helmet just to give you another idea.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Guys, does anybody own this helmet for track days and can recommend? For me it looks awesome.

When I autocrossed I had a G-Force helmet similar to this. Paint/decal to taste.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's not full face - so buy it and stick on a shelf next to your trophies - don't use it in competition - that it's suede lined not nomex says it all. Remember the boxer Mike Tyson? He wore simple and solid black trunks in the ring and was ferocious..I use a plain white full face helmet....and spend the $ on tires instead of a fancy-schmancy paint job for a helmet. You can't see your own helmet paint when driving. The Lotus helmet looks nice - so do expensive hookers

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
It's not full face - so buy it and stick on a shelf next to your trophies - don't use it in competition - that it's suede lined not nomex says it all. Remember the boxer Mike Tyson? He wore simple and solid black trunks in the ring and was ferocious..I use a plain white full face helmet....and spend the $ on tires instead of a fancy-schmancy paint job for a helmet. You can't see your own helmet paint when driving. The Lotus helmet looks nice - so do expensive hookers
Another advantage to plain white, your brain doesn't fry while sitting on grid in 90F heat waiting to go out because the track needs to be cleaned up after some wanker forgot to tighten his oil filter properly....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Another advantage to plain white, your brain doesn't fry while sitting on grid in 90F heat waiting to go out because the track needs to be cleaned up after some wanker forgot to tighten his oil filter properly....
Nah.....I've been fried since the 60's

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
From many years ago

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Helmet cert is like expiration dates on canned food IMHO. I've seen plenty of mint SA2010 helmets out there in FAR better shape than a lot of SA2015's. To me, for a passenger, a PROPER fitting helmet in excellent condition is far more important than the age to a certain extent. JIMHO. I wish they would start allowing some SA2010's to be recertified based on condition. Example, my wife has the smallest helmet available and it has been worn maybe a dozen times. It is kept boxed , like new condition. Surely it is NOT unsafe.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Helmets, like all things, change with time. Heat/Cold - expansion and contraction. This may cause micro fratures of the fiberglass. From years ago, I was under the impression the difference between a M/C and Car helmet was the Fire rating..... Also a crappy helmet was better than no helmet.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Helmet cert is like expiration dates on canned food IMHO. I've seen plenty of mint SA2010 helmets out there in FAR better shape than a lot of SA2015's. To me, for a passenger, a PROPER fitting helmet in excellent condition is far more important than the age to a certain extent. JIMHO. I wish they would start allowing some SA2010's to be recertified based on condition. Example, my wife has the smallest helmet available and it has been worn maybe a dozen times. It is kept boxed , like new condition. Surely it is NOT unsafe.
Have your Wife answer this question.......thinking a new helmet is +/- $500.....is your life worth $500 ?

.....and to WestCoastLotus > right, the only significant difference between an SA (Special Applications) and motorcycle helmet is the Nomex lining makes it SA

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Have your Wife answer this question.......thinking a new helmet is +/- $500.....is your life worth $500 ?

.....and to WestCoastLotus > right, the only significant difference between an SA (Special Applications) and motorcycle helmet is the Nomex lining makes it SA
This whole discussion came up a long time ago in a racing series I was part of. I talked to the helmet manufactures and what I found out was the Nomex lining for a car and multiple impacts for a motorcycle.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
67 Posts
The SCCA has approved for use ECE 22.05 helmets as of last year for autocross. I autocross in Canada and the ASN in Canada has followed suit with the approval as well. In Canada all autocross is governed by the ASN, and makes the ECE approved helmets nation wide for Canada solosports.

The rules may be different for full track days, and local clubs may have rule sets that follow other governing bodies though, so it's always best to check with the club that you intend to drive with.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
Motorcycle helmet ratings changed a lot in the early years of this century. Snell foundation initially was testing for a helmet that protected better against point impact intrusion than it did against flat surface collision and friction (bang helmet against road while sliding on pavement). The Snell 2005 standard was pretty close to a modern SA helmet except for fire resistance testing. Safety researchers eventually persuaded Snell to move toward the EC and DOT standard for motorcycle helmets - that's the 2010+ standard. FYI: The EC standard is my favorite right now because it requires large sample sizes and annual rechecks to maintain certification, saving you from a cost cutting measure or poor QA endangering your gray matter.

If you're strapped into a car, you're much less likely to hit a flat road surface with your helmet and much more likely to hit a hard projection (the roll cage, the door frame, the steering wheel). You're also more likely to be exposed to fire. The Snell SA standard recognizes this. If you motorcycle and track a car, get a helmet for each. They're not that expensive...

·
Registered
918 Posts
I wouldn't recommend an open face helmet. There are plenty of things that you can hit your face on in a crash, not to mention the burn risk associated with an open face helmet. I was in a burning car on track once, in a burning car on the street once. Both times were uneventful because I was able to get out quickly enough. Neither fire involved fuel, which would have been more problematic. In any case, I commend to you a closed face helmet and the full allotment of safety equipment before going on track.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts