The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if your Gents will be intrested in this but a lot of people over here in blighty are. Vauxhall (GM) are about to give every Hot Hatch driver his dream car..........Lotus Astra!

Well everything expect Lotus Astra in name, its called the VXR ( based on a 3 door hatch)and its got a a Turbo 240 BHP motor! 6 speed Shift stick Recaro seats.....Looks great, but the best bit is that Lotus have spent years on designing and devolping the handling.

Talk is of Porsche drives around the "Ring" in Germany getting leathed by this blizing Hatch.

More to come, we hear.

Cheers
Mega

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Cool car! Front wheel drive though, right? I wonder what VW will do to their next GTi to make it more competitive in that segment.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
One of the executives at Lotus told me we would be surprised at how many car companies Lotus helps. The only thing is most make Lotus sign confientiality agreements so they can't disclose any details.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another heavy, boy racer, front wheel drive, chav.

I really wish Lotus wouldn't affiliate themselves with this kind of stuff. (although they have to to keep the money coming in)
The input Lotus had with GM on this has been kept quiet and most people won't find out about it.
It's a Vauxhall / Opel, and is marketed as such.

If only we could get them to spend their money on a mark 2 VX220

The only Porche that the Astra VXR might be able to keep up with is the Boxster.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I look at the picture, and all I can think is UGLY. A performance car should look like a radical performance car. The Elise fits that bill. The Corvette shys away from looking like a performance car.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
It's a hot hatch- there's only so much you can do with the type to make them look attractive.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
_JD_ said:
It's a hot hatch- there's only so much you can do with the type to make them look attractive.
That's just it, it's an institutional mentality with this concept. Although, there are some great home runs such as the 206GT and the Alfa.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Jd, i don't think it will beat a full on GT3 911, But Aston Martin with their AM V8 have done just that........Porsche are not happy!

Many years ago i drove a Proton GTI, a Hot Hatch that Lotus had worked for Proton. THe Engine was a dog, 0-100 in +30 Secs when everything else was around 20 ish. But Bloody hell the grip and handling where almost un belivable!

It rode like a limo, but gripped like a racer........even by Lotus standards it was WOW. They talked about a Supercharger version...but it just didn't happen......another wasted chance for Hethel!.

Cheers
Mega

·
Registered
758 Posts
MattG said:
Cool car! Front wheel drive though, right? I wonder what VW will do to their next GTi to make it more competitive in that segment.
VW already has a set of cars in that segment in Europe. The R32 and the RSi. I just wish they'd bring the RSi over here :(

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Boy, the Corvette sure looks like a performance car to me. And it's still one of the best values around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts