The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hust joined today and need information on how to buy a lotus. I live near a lotus dealership in Minnesota. I heard that you have to order one and it may take up to two years for it to arrive. Is this true? Also i heard i comes to America at the end of june. I looked on my dealership site and they only had a esprit. Will i have any trouble buying this car?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Hi Tippmann,

You can go to any lotus dealership and place a deposit on a lotus elise. This will put you on a list. The list size and wait time will vary by dealership, but expect a year lag time before the elise arrives. This is if you want to buy a car at MSRP! (*although some dealerships have shorter lists at MSRP+~$2500).

Now some dealership are offering cars above MSRP! The amount above depends on the dealership/time you make the deal. Someone in San Diego just bought one at $7K over MSRP so that he could have a car within the next couple of months.

So it all dpends on how much money you want to spend, and how much time you are willing to wait.

I would call you local dealership and ask for details. There are also lots of posts here (use the search function) that can tell you which dealerships are offering shorter lists above MSRP.

Hope that helps. Welcome!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I put my deposit down after a test drive just after I turned 17 (October). My parents were not with me and I put it in my name. They didn't seem concerned about my age at all. Good luck with the puchase.

-Eric

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you are not of legal age you could not put a deposit in. This would not be a binding contract. I would not take a deposit for any car unless the person is of legal age.

Good luck to you and take your Dad with you if you are not 18.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
If you suspect that the dealership could treat you unfairly due to your age (and it does happen unfortunately), then definitely bring your father. They may have good reason, as Mr. Duncan has pointed out. No offense to Mr. Duncan, but salespeople do seem to "analyze" young customers sometimes because there are kids looking for free joyrides, etc. Seems totally fair to me. If I were in his position, I would want to have an idea of how serious the customer is about buying the car. Often, people put down deposits on cars they cannot get now, but anticipate being able to by the time the car arrives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts