The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to NYC and was basically wondering what people thought about taking a Lotus there. I have an Elise and am coming from NC. I haven't driven in the city before but know how crazy traffic is.
Does anyone own a Lotus in the city? How bad are the roads?
Does anyone have any suggestions for good/accessible parking over there?
Am I likely to scrape my clamshell over inclined areas?

I'm not convinced yet if I should take it, but the drive to NYC would be a lot more fun than using my other car.

Interested to hear thoughts from you guys.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Going to Manhattan? The roads are not your problem. The cab drivers are the problem. For that reason alone, do NOT take your Lotus to Manhattan.
If you get tagged by a cabbie, it WILL be a hit and run.
I grew up in NYC, lived there 46 years.
The risk is too high for a car so small.

I'm planning a trip to NYC and was basically wondering what people thought about taking a Lotus there. I have an Elise and am coming from NC. I haven't driven in the city before but know how crazy traffic is.
Does anyone own a Lotus in the city? How bad are the roads?
Does anyone have any suggestions for good/accessible parking over there?
Am I likely to scrape my clamshell over inclined areas?

I'm not convinced yet if I should take it, but the drive to NYC would be a lot more fun than using my other car.

Interested to hear thoughts from you guys.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I visited NYC a few weeks ago for the first time, and I wouldn't dream of bringing my car into the city, even if I had it with me. The cab drivers are absolutely insane.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
on the positive side... the food is GREAT! But you won't be driving to the restaurant in your Lotus if you are smart..

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was in NYC last weekend, and you shouldn't take any car you care about over there.

Roads are in good shape compared to what I see everyday in Montreal. But that would be the last of your concern.

Traffic is insane. Manhattan is a massive traffic jam cluster****.
Cab drivers are insane.
Getting in and out Manhattan with a car is insane.
Parking in Manhattan is insane. I saw some 9$ / 30min parking spots....

·
Registered
119 Posts
No. Even in the suburbs the roads are terrible. Most major highways are a mess. If your coming from NC you're probably taking NJ turnpike and head over from Holland or Lincoln. It'll be hard to take quick maneuvers against taxi's and other drivers with all the blind spots.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I can write a book about owning a Lotus in New York City, having done it for several years with a car I care about keeping pristine.

- Almost all of the roads are miserable, but the roads are almost as miserable in a lot of North American cities. You need to be vigilant because there may be something wrong with the road that can damage your car. After you've lived there a while you start to remember where those places are. FDR Drive is in poor condition and there are a few areas there that can damage a Lotus. The West Side Highway/Hudson Parkway are in better shape and have wider lanes and fewer traffic engineering fails. You are going to scrape your clamshell in NY. Buy clam protectors from SirLotus.

- People are usually conscientious about parallel parking with a car this nice and most of them will not try to park by braille. It helps that it's a short car so there's likely to be more space. Obviously don't park it in a space that's two inches longer than the car. Along the avenues works for limited amounts of time and I have gotten away with it pretty consistently. If you leave the car parallel parked for a long time, someone will eventually come back to their car, forget there's something behind it that they can't see, and ram it heartily. This has only happened to me twice and both times the clam was already damaged, or else I wouldn't have left it there. Owning an already damaged Lotus in NYC is a liberating experience.

- A lot of smaller lots will not take the car. They are worried rightly about liability. A garage is nearly as likely to bump you as some random person on the street.

- I have only been tagged by a cab one time in my life, and I was driving a big BMW so there was no damage.

- There is obviously a lot of aggression and a fair amount of retardation on the roads. I've never damaged a car because of any of that though, only because of the condition of the road itself. I am an alert (and aggressive) driver.

The bottom line is, you can do it if you have clam protectors and are really familiar with maneuvering in a type of traffic that normally exists only overseas.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's good to hear from different perspectives.
I want to take the Lotus but if I do I'd park it outside the city and commute in. I still am not sure about that either though. I'm considering different options still, but will definitely not take the Lotus inside the city..

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm driving mine to the north jersey shore tomorrow.

It would be nice to visit Manhatten while so close, but lets not be silly..

A lotus in NYC is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed Alicia Keys drives a lotus in NYC. Lol

I'm sure she won't have a problem if she gets it totaled though.

I see this guy also drives his Lotus in NYC.....he's showing exactly why it isn't a good idea to take it there.
Look at the mod. Anyone from the forums?

·
Registered
676 Posts
The roads are not the problem. Its the danger of parallel parking as people may bump into youtr clam when parallel parking. And dont think you are safe in a garage. Ive had my fair share of damages to my other cars from garages! Also pedestrians and rude bicyclists. Contrary to popular belief, I think the taxi drivers are the best drivers. They just seem bad because they are aggressive.

The mayor also installed a 25mph speed limit in the streets of manhattan.

My first new car in 1995 was a honda civic, and some ahole rollerbladed on my hood. Enuff said.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not as bad as most posters make it out to be. I drive my Elise into the city on rare occasions and park in a garage. I always pay the attendant an extra $20 to park the car myself and keep the keys. They are more than happy to accommodate and let me park the car in the front of the lot and block it off with orange cones. Then you have the tourists who start taking pics of the car thinking it's a ferrari :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I lived in Manhattan for a few years and always thought driving the Elise was simply not a pleasant experience. I initially parked it in the Battery Park Garage near South Ferry station which was a ripoff but felt somewhat safe. I only to the Henry Hudson Parkway to get in and out of the city. I actually got a ticket one of the few times I drove in the inner streets, for not having a front plate. Bottom line, chances are you won't enjoy it, can drivers will annoy you, potholes might damage your car and you will be in constant agony. Park in the places I suggested and take the subway.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Quite a few years ago a bunch of us crazy types took a ride though NYC in 7-8 Eliges. Driving in a brightly colored pack helped;) It was a circus trying to stay together - somehow we managed it.

Besides that I've taken the Elise in a couple of times to pick people up. You have to drive very aggressively and make sure to avoid the yellow ones - they hunt you. It's a bit stressful but it's also fun to see peoples reactions. I made the mistake of turning into Times Square with the roof off only to get stuck in traffic. The comments from passerby's were hilarious and the amount of pics taken was:crazyeyes

Saying that, I wouldn't take it in and park it.... The last time I stayed over (at one of the better hotels) the valet took forever to return my TT. The doorman made some comment to me about not bringing a sports car to the city....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts