The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Lotus inspired Mid Engine VW Bug build

9K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Bugzilla 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. When I started on my Bug project, I really wanted an Exige but they were out of my price range at the time. So I figured I would build something I could afford that would be similar to an Exige. So that is what I did. Now I am ready to sell it and get an Exige but thats a story for another time. Here is a quick run down of what I have done.

1970 VW Bug
Chevy Ecotec powered (destroked 2.4L with blower 425hp @ 7800 rpms)
Getrag F23 trans
Miata spindles with big Wilwood brakes
Custom double wishbone suspension
Full tube frame
Wide body
Almost the same width, wheelbase, weight and weight distribution as an Exige

Let me know what you guys think and I can go into more details if anyone wants! And if anyone wants it, yes it is for sale or for trade.

Attachments

See less See more
1 5
#2 ·
Dang. Impressive.

#5 ·
LOVE IT!!!!! Wow, well done sir!!

T.J.

#6 · (Edited)
Here are a few more of a little photo shoot from a few months ago. Wasnt all the way painted at the time.

And from my last race...

Attachments

#9 ·
Here are some pictures from 5 years ago when the project started. This is when I had no idea how to design a chassis or suspension. Lets just say I have built the entire car 3 times in 3 different ways by now. Lots of trial and error when you think you know what you are doing but you really dont.

Attachments

#10 ·
The first design of the suspension was just horrible. It had crazy bump steer and camber gain. Once I figured that out, it was time to redo it all and do it the right way. The original frame was also designed to use an engine and trans that sat longitudinal. That didnt last long.

Attachments

#11 ·
After I figured out I didnt want to spend $7500 on a transmisson, I decided to flip the engine sideways and get a lot cheaper of a trans. This is where I tried to make it work with the frame how it was.

Attachments

#12 ·
Since I decided to flip the engine sideways, my original exhaust idea was not going to work. So I moved the muffler around, added a second one and built a pretty close to equal length snake looking header.

Attachments

#13 ·
Long time no update for me. Not much has changed on the Bug as its just about complete. I custom made a front splitter for it though. Next up is putting the windows back in and its going up for sale. Need funds for my next project car!

On a plus note, I have been searching for an Elise and finally found the right one. Hoping that I can seal the deal by the end of the week!

Attachments

#16 ·
I am currently building a VolksRod......but your skill level is far superior to mine.

Still......it's nice to get inspired and this build has done it!

I tore a bicep tendon just moving my project around and have been ignoring it.

Good luck with your sale!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.