The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a stock lotus supercharger installed on new engine exactly 1 year and about 2 months ago. History--new engine because of oil line failure under recall--decided to add SC after new engine installed--so as not to void 3yr warranty on new eng. was told only a stock Lotus SC, installed by Lotus dealership would be acceptable-- so $7800 later I have 2005 Elise [SC] . Ok all's good, love it. take it in for 2nd recall on oil line fittings last month and ask them to listen for a slight sound coming from engine area. They believe it to be coming from the SC. Find small amount of oil leaking in SC. Of course Lotus says 2 mo's out warranty [was given 1yr on SC ], they won't pick up labor or parts. Lotus dealer says best to send it to Magnuson in CA and let them check it. You can help me out here-- is it a Eaton[sp] manufactured or vise versa, sold to Lotus ? Well, Magnuson is going to replace everything except the housing. All I've been told is the coupler leaked and for lack of oil, bearings are shot. Magnuson is charging me about $1900 for this plus shipping. Dealer's cost not sure yet. Their cost will include taking it out, shipping to CA. and reinstalling. 5k mi's on SC- not driven hard. ??? is did I just have bad luck or is/was this SC defective in some way. I would think 1yr and 5k mi on a $7800 SC with normal driving should not fail. Opinions ???:shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hard Luck story man, u got screwed!! I would hope the dealer would honor the warranty being so close to expiration date and with the low miles. Especially if they did the install and benefited from that fee.
Unfortunately you are at their mercy given the warranty expiration dates.
I have a newly installed BOE TVS unit. Supposed to be bulletproof. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dealer puts it on Lotus-Lotus says no- dealer says they will try to get back together as quickly as possible cause they feel bad, that's worth what its worth--they haven't got it back yet--posted this ? hoping someone here has similar problem with better result or solution if you know what I mean !

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Was your an MP45 or an MP62?

·
Less is Better
2,818 Posts
Some investigation should help to point the finger in the right direction. Does Magnuson think this was due to an installation error? Can they provide any guidance as to whether Lotus' installation is in agreement with their guidelines? How about a manufacturing defect?

An independent shop that knows superchargers may also give some insight as to the reason for the failure.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a factory SC in a 2008 model with no problems (knock on wood) and 5100 miles.

I'm *guessing* installation error or mfg defect...neither of which would be your baby.....

I'd recommend what others have said....have Magnuson tell you what they think caused it and get an independent opinion if they are less than forthcoming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts