The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
[sigh] One of the reasons I recommend against hockey puck is that my nice chunk of wood is less slippery and covers a much larger area (~5" x 8").

Both of these factors are significant and result in much smaller chance of a mishap.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,214 Posts
Use block of wood, or ramps if possible. I have seen this many times before, the aluminum is very soft and needs protection when using a jack or stands.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've always used a jack from Canadian Tire with a small chuck of rubber on top. The rubber was a fragment from an inner tube I think.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
In my mind, the contributing factors to having an “accident” when lifting your car using a floor jack, is purely human error, it‘s got nothing to do with whether you use a piece of wood, a hockey puck or some other magic contraption in between the lift points and the jack. Paying attention to what you are doing is paramount, make sure not to lift the car too high so the angle becomes too much and making sure the jack rolls in under the car as you lift. If you have those two thing under control, then nothing bad is going to happen. That said, I lift using a hockey puck and bring one side up high enough to get my double wide 6”x6” under the wheels, then go to the other side and lift to get two double wide 6”x6” under and the back to the first side and repeat.
I have been do this for a very long time on both my Porsche and now the Lotus as well with no problems what so ever.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Don't agree, but thanks.

Yes, human error, but a sizable piece of wood affords a much greater margin of "error".

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I can see you feel very strongly about that piece of wood. 🤪

Reactions: sege

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Perceptive. Should I post a photo??

This discussion has been going on about 15 yrs. In that time, no one reported any problem with wood; only with dumb-ass pucks.

Uh, I have no photo of beloved block. But this device is for my XRS. Guess what it's made of...

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Be glad this is all that happened. I busted the fiberglass a good many years ago, an awful crack-crunch sound.

I don’t like hockey pucks much either, especially ones with paper logos etc on them. Just plain slippery.

My deal was simply because I did not get the jack positioned far enough inboard, that simple. I have lifted that car probably 100 times though, so a pretty good percentage of non idiot experiences.

Put several rows of black tape over the wound and ran track only for at least two years. Eventually a track mishap led to bigger repairs and we replaced the whole panel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think hot glue will be strong enough to pull the aluminum. I just went out and used a wide hard sharp edged tool I will not name due to ridicule it will entice, between the sill and the aluminum. I was able to deform the aluminum without cracking the glass. Your results may vary. Another option is to epoxy a pull stud. Carefully grind it off without overheating things when you are done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I need to look at the ops pics again, but I jack mine up with a harbor freight jack with no problems. Also I even jack the front by putting the jack in the center of where the front structure has a beam across for the front suspension. Understanding where the frame and body are strong can allow lift points

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
820 Posts
Do have a look at one of the many photos of a bare Elise chassis - it will help you understand where the strength of the structure is. That outboard flange is only there to allow bonding some things together, and to form a corner for extra rigidity - it's not meant to bear the weight of the car, as you unfortunately discovered.

I also use one of the harbor freight racecar jacks with a wood block on top. It definitely increases the allowable range of error.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
anyone can make a mistake like that jack stand was placed where sticker was i jacked the car in all other jack points as i was changing tires the frame only bent on one side ( **** happens!!
Just so I understand, the damage seen is from the jack stack? So you jacked up the car, placed a jack stand where the sticker was located then proceeded to jack up at the other stickered points and as the car rose it crumpled where the jack stand was placed? Is that is true? If so, it sounds like you used the wrong type of jack stand. Round flat surface stands and using pucks when jacking up the car will not result in the damage you experienced..

Please clarify if I got this wrong?

Just trying to help others explain how this could happen and what to do to avoid this from happening to others.
These car are not that fragile but there is a process to adhere to when servicing.
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
car will be fixes in a week or so when fixed i will post picturesof the repair! my panel beater said he can get the panel 100% straight like it was original he works on ferraris mclarens lambos all day long so i should not have a problem fingers crossed 🤞

·
Administrator
2,116 Posts
I would leave alone. Any feathering in will remove anodization. Slap a big sticker over it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I used aluminium polish to remove as much as i can got most of it out. Now i will put a sticker as you said 😁

·
Registered
10 Posts
Post a pic with the new sticker 😉. Lots of good info here. Passenger headlight just went out might have to jack up the car. Ill use my harbor freight jack with a piece of wood shaped like a hockey puck 😂

21 - 40 of 53 Posts