41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Use a larger rectangular piece of wood.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just to confirm with what people are saying about jacking points, because my stickers are in a similar place, hockey puck, wood, etc should be placed slightly inboard of where the sticker is, shown by the red circle below, instead of on the edge? I'm assuming because that fastener is there, that's is where the actual structural bit of the car is?

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I made these large wooden “plates” for the many restorations projects I have done with Elan’s and Europa. They have a box below them to hold the lift point and the top is covered with rubber flooring material to prevent slipping. These would also work well for the Elise as it spreads out the load and is virtually impossible to slip.

Even though I made four of these for a four point lift, you could also make this for a floor jack.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just to confirm with what people are saying about jacking points, because my stickers are in a similar place, hockey puck, wood, etc should be placed slightly inboard of where the sticker is, shown by the red circle below, instead of on the edge? I'm assuming because that fastener is there, that's is where the actual structural bit of the car is?

View attachment 1274204
You need to ignore those stickers and put your jack where the shop manual says to put it. I posted the page from the shop manual. Just because someone put a sticker there doesn't mean it's the place to jack the car, as can be seen in the above photo.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
291 Posts
You need to ignore those stickers and put your jack where the shop manual says to put it. I posted the page from the shop manual. Just because someone put a sticker there doesn't mean it's the place to jack the car, as can be seen in the above photo.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't his sticker match where it says in the manual page you posted?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Next time car is jacked up jack will be more further in where the rivet is so there is no damage again.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Doesn't look like it to me, Danny. "Show me where on the doll it hurts..." I mean, which jacking point on the drawing? Exactly where? It isn't real clear from the pic, but it looks to me like the jack was put way lateral, far enough out to damage the fiberglass when it bent. I don't see any place in the drawing that would do that.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have the stickers. How many do you need?

I also have the ones for the lower panel to help you quickly find the "A" jack point used to lift the entire side.

Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
291 Posts
Doesn't look like it to me, Danny. "Show me where on the doll it hurts..." I mean, which jacking point on the drawing? Exactly where? It isn't real clear from the pic, but it looks to me like the jack was put way lateral, far enough out to damage the fiberglass when it bent. I don't see any place in the drawing that would do that.
That is true. To me it looks like the "A" Spot. They could define it more clearly. To me it is obvious that the sides are exagerated in the manuals jacking point page. But if you do look at that cirlce it is circling the point directly across from the seams, right where the sticker is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
That is true. To me it looks like the "A" Spot. They could define it more clearly. To me it is obvious that the sides are exagerated in the manuals jacking point page. But if you do look at that cirlce it is circling the point directly across from the seams, right where the sticker is.
Mate get your facts right the car was not damaged if the fiberglass was damaged i would have know lol

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
291 Posts
Calm down turbo, at which point did I mention the fiberglass damage?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts