The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds good. Following Lotus's previous platforms it may last 10 years or longer. Adaptable to hybrid or full electric propulsion if regulations ban new car combustion sales (Sweden, California, etc).

I'm new to Lotus and have been thoroughly enjoying the Evora's design and handling characteristics. A BMW 2000-esque car that is extremely lightweight would be delightful. Lotus Carlton type vehicle.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
why do we need two threads on same topic?

·
craigyirush
1,536 Posts
With current battery tech there’s no way (afaik) to make a truly light EV. So I’m glad we’re getting one last ICE Lotus sports car with a manual transmission (I assume). Let’s hope it’s as exciting an engine as the 2zz, though I’m skeptical it will be.

Reactions: glemmons and Kubera

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would like to see more hybrids instead of just a jump to EV. There is nothing stopping the creation of a hybrid manual. Its a slightly strange combination but Lotus is the king of slightly strange.

300HP in EV mode with the option to add 250HP from a small ICE in race mode could make for a really cool hybrid.

They are working on nailing down hybrid batteries that are part micro-carbon structure allowing both an increase in peak power and less weight.

There is no chance in hell I would ever buy an EV Lotus. There is a reason I bought a Lotus. If I wanted to also have an EV I would have also bought a Tesla.

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
251 Posts
I would like to see more hybrids instead of just a jump to EV. There is nothing stopping the creation of a hybrid manual. Its a slightly strange combination but Lotus is the king of slightly strange.

300HP in EV mode with the option to add 250HP from a small ICE in race mode could make for a really cool hybrid.

They are working on nailing down hybrid batteries that are part micro-carbon structure allowing both an increase in peak power and less weight.

There is no chance in hell I would ever buy an EV Lotus. There is a reason I bought a Lotus. If I wanted to also have an EV I would have also bought a Tesla.

I would buy an EV Lotus, but they must figure out how to keep weight down so its momentum is not a penalty in the curves. Imagine an EV Elise with 2000lb curb weight, 350+hp/350+tq, low center of gravity (skateboard battery), 300mile range, and a manual transmission.

Check out this new EV motorcycle with a 4-sp manual. Pretty cool:

Lotus could do the same thing to keep the driver's engagement level high. Build a lightweight EV with a manual...I'd consider buying it.

However, If Lotus built a lightweight hybrid (ICE to avoid range anxiety) that uses brake regeneration, that would also be great. Store the "wasted energy" slowing down for stop signs when you brake and use it later for a quick 50-100hp battery boost when you want to pass 5 cars in quick succession (like KERS in F1). :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imagine an EV Elise with 2000lb curb weight, 350+hp/350+tq, low center of gravity (skateboard battery), 300mile range, and a manual transmission.
Just not the same without the noise and RPMs lining up. I've been in a Tesla and while it was pretty fun, I would not drive it the way I drive my Lotus.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Realize a manual transmission in an EV car is a complete waste. or the tranny weight to make it feel old school would be completely unnnecessary.

Reactions: georgiadawgs98

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would not be surprised if this is a mid/front engine car- an excel/eclat type design based on the statements that this is going to be a daily driver with usable interior space.

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would not be surprised if this is a mid/front engine car- an excel/eclat type design based on the statements that this is going to be a daily driver with usable interior space.
Just my opinion, but this upcoming model doesn't sound exciting. First of all, they don't mention anything about light weight so it won't be a real performance Lotus and also I was told by a Lotus dealer that went to UK to see the Evija that the Evora 400 and Evora GT are the last "mechanical, old school" type of Lotus cars. The new car won't be manual and it is all about "comfort" inside and practicality. That is not my thing. I will keep my 2017 Evora 400 and perhaps trade it in for a 2021 Evora GT.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, I don't really see the point in making a less expensive Evora and if the new car uses the Evora chassis/frame with a mid engine then I'm also not sure how different its interior space etc can be. On the other hand, with the Geely investment perhaps they have the resources to do something new. How about a modern day Lotus Cortina to take on the M3/RS5? I'd seriously consider that as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
I disagree. Lotus needs an entry level car....like 50K is entry level for most folks (reality check here). The Elise replacement is/needs to be fun, agile and best in its class like the Elise was once upon a time. Sedans are passe as they move people and in our current era, more seats is not better. The 3 box design has had a long run but except for moving people it has its limitations. A sporty hopped up hatch to compete with the Stelivo Quadrofolgio would have my attention. Absolutely LOVE my Stelvio. I waited for Lotus to no avail and Alfa has, once again, filled my needs with an overachiever.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Yes, they need a less expensive, higher-volume car. Agreed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I doubt its an SUV. If its built on the Evora platform it might be a 4 seater with a stretched passenger cabin-a modern day take on the Ferrari Mondial perhaps- this car was a mid engine 2+2 with a transverse V8.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
I'd love to see a study that actually tells us how often rear seats are used in the USA.
Notice I said hot hatch...that is exactly what a Stelvio wouldbe/is if you drop it 2-3 inches as i have seen. Lowered it looks like a 21st century wicked wagon.
My view is the IC motor will be with us till 2050 our until a power source far lighter, quicker charging and environmentally friendly than a battery is invented.

·
Illegal Alien
4,987 Posts
I doubt its an SUV. If its built on the Evora platform it might be a 4 seater with a stretched passenger cabin-a modern day take on the Ferrari Mondial perhaps- this car was a mid engine 2+2 with a transverse V8.
Some vague info has about this car is lurking about: a pure 2 seater, weight slightly less than Evora; hydraulic steering (still, thank god); Evora chassis, about same wheel base, maybe wider track; manual and auto options; engine selection pending with eventual power options of about 400 to 600 Hp, top end my be hybrid; some Evija body style features; some Volvo integrated dash interface.

Reactions: brgelise

·
Illegal Alien
4,987 Posts
I'd love to see a study that actually tells us how often rear seats are used in the USA.
Notice I said hot hatch...that is exactly what a Stelvio wouldbe/is if you drop it 2-3 inches as i have seen. Lowered it looks like a 21st century wicked wagon.
My view is the IC motor will be with us till 2050 our until a power source far lighter, quicker charging and environmentally friendly than a battery is invented.
May well be sooner than 2050. Norway, Denmark, UK, France, Germany, China, India, ... , have plans to phase out totally by 2025 to 2050 country dependant

·
Registered
201 Posts
Some vague info has about this car is lurking about: a pure 2 seater, weight slightly less than Evora; hydraulic steering (still, thank god); Evora chassis, about same wheel base, maybe wider track; manual and auto options; engine selection pending with eventual power options of about 400 to 600 Hp, top end my be hybrid; some Evija body style features; some Volvo integrated dash interface.
So it sounds like its a lighter faster Evora but paradoxically more of a useful daily driver and for less money. I'm interested but skeptical that is is an economical proposition.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, most people in N. America that would consider these kinds of cars have multiple vehicles so the "utility" issue is less of a concern. I have an E63 AMG wagon a Volvo XC90 and SL500 and various other cars in pieces. But I still find myself not taking the Evora if I might have to pick up a significant amount of groceries or if there is a possibility of having to drive additional adults even a short distance for a drink or dinner after work. This is less of an issue with a 911 which has more interior space and can seat adults in the back seats for short distances. For a car that they can sell around the world to people who only have one vehicle I could see that Lotus might think that a real 2+2 is an attractive proposition. But who knows. We will just have to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts