The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I'm months and months away from getting my car, I'm thinking about having letters LASER cut out of mirror-finished st.st. and then using thin double sided sticky tape to apply them.

Would anyone else be interested? How much would anyone be willing to pay to help offset the cost?

The choices for thickness are .060, .075, .090, and .125 It could be more or less, but I think in that range would be best. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
As long as the font is the same and the letters match size with the factory ones, I'm in. WHat finish are we looking at?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mirror finish. It's called a #8 finish in the metal biz. I think the letters on the car are shiny as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
confusion reigns!

Not having L-O-T-U-S spelled across the back of our cars could be dangerous. Imagine other drivers getting closer and closer for a hint as to what kind of car you're driving. Maybe we should replace the stock letters with six inch high contrasting vinyl lettering.
Seriously, I like the idea of removing all lettering from my cars. With the Lotus, I'll leave the badge on the nose, but clean is better. And less is more. Or is that Moore? Hm-m-m-m...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'd be reluctant to put metal lettering on the car. In just 3 weeks, my front badge was unceremoniously ripped from the car, probably by neighborhood kids. I suspect they'd do the same with the lettering. Why ask for trouble?

·
Registered
291 Posts
pinmagic said:
I'd be reluctant to put metal lettering on the car. In just 3 weeks, my front badge was unceremoniously ripped from the car, probably by neighborhood kids. I suspect they'd do the same with the lettering. Why ask for trouble?
I was thinking of debadging mine when I get it. I know you must have been pissed, but how does it look without the front badge. I mean is there bolt whole or was it just glued on?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It's just double-stick foam tape. There are 2 small pins on the badge, which line up with 2 small holes in the hood. So, with the badge gone, you do see the 2 small holes.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
pinmagic said:
It's just double-stick foam tape. There are 2 small pins on the badge, which line up with 2 small holes in the hood. So, with the badge gone, you do see the 2 small holes.
Who else but someone with the name 'Pinmagic' would know that pin-holes are under the front
emblem? You can't make up this kind of stuff. It's as if 'CC' is orchestrating even these minor tidbits from the great beyond.

·
Registered
219 Posts
lotuscar said:
I guess no one wants laser cut letters.
The area the letters are placed is flat in the horizontal, but is it flat in the vertical? I thought it was concave... 1/8" ss might have a mind of it's own if it's not bent to match the curve prior to application. And if it's not bent to match it quite well, it could look quite poor.

Just a thought.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,113 Posts
lotuscar said:
I guess no one wants laser cut letters.
I think you'd find people who are interested. Various people have requested that look before. Keep the SS thin so it conforms to the body. Apply the acrylic foam tape before the letters are laser cut so that the adhesive fully covers the entire letter. One downside is that it is a pain to wax around. It should be much more durable than the current decals.

I don't understand the objections about the increase in weight! :huh:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Its really inexpensive to do that kind of lettering. Just go to a local shop that does vinyl lettering and they could do it for probably 20 bucks. At least thats about what the shop I worked for charged for metallic letters.

-Whit

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would be interested in that or>>>

doing the Euro approach...the Lotus badge in the middle. The present set up surprises me...really not in keeping with the rest of the car. I think satin aluminum letters would look great...IMO.
PinMagic...sorry to hear about the unauthorized debadging...what a pisser! I almost debadged my Audi TT due to a spat of slim bags stealing the TT rear symbol...method of removal choise was to ram a screw driver thru rear fascia and pry badge off... such a lack of respect for others property..

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
pinmagic said:
These are currently on the MSN Japanese auction site, but the opening bid is about $140!
LOTUS Letters
Those look similar to the letters that are standard on my Elan. Last time I bought replacements (it has been a few years) they were on the order of $5 each... $25 total...

They do need two holes in the body for each letter...

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I'm gonna get 6" letters in purple neon that blink. I haven't decided if they all should blink at the same time on-off-on-off, etc., or go for the "L", then "LO", then "LOT", then "LOTU" and finally "LOTUS" before all blinking off together. What do ya think?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MickOpalak said:
I'm gonna get 6" letters in purple neon that blink. I haven't decided if they all should blink at the same time on-off-on-off, etc., or go for the "L", then "LO", then "LOT", then "LOTU" and finally "LOTUS" before all blinking off together. What do ya think?
I think you either need something productive to do while waiting for your Elise, or you need a Civic...:no:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts