The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
This is my first post on Lotus forums. I bought my 2005 Lotus Elise 2 months back from a private party in LA (he was the first owner). I decided to get it checked up last week at Lotus of Scottsdale (I'm in Phoenix, AZ). They came up with 3 recommendations:

1. The lever to shift the gear to reverse (the spring thing) had a crack, they had to replace it. $72.50

2. The guy said that they felt that the brake pedal is low and needs to be adjusted and the brakes needed to be bled. $165

3. Wheel alignment $290

Is this too high? I asked him to do the first 2, but $290 for wheel alignment seemed too high. :(

Oh yes.... and they charged me $200 to inspect my car!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those are fair prices. Even the alignemnt for a dealership is a low price. If you take it to an alignment specialty shop that do them day in and day out they will have a better price usually because thats all they do, but for a dealer, that is a cheap price compaired to what I see.

all the best,

J

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you, TrackDreams!

I just got back my car.. got the first 2 things done ... they charged me only $280. They even cleaned my car! Everything is now good, except for the alignment which I will get it done soon.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Please make sure that you address the alignment quickly. The steering system is close tolerance and alignment will have a major effect on conering. Plus at the price of tires we spend on these, it will help save that precious rubber we pay so much for!

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
Please make sure that you address the alignment quickly. The steering system is close tolerance and alignment will have a major effect on conering. Plus at the price of tires we spend on these, it will help save that precious rubber we pay so much for!
+1

These cars are very sensitive to alignment and getting it right is critical to handling feel and tyre life (out of spec rear toe can wear out a set of rear tyres inside 1000miles).

In terms of the other two did they replace the brake fluid when bleading the system? It is recommended annually (and is worth it!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts