The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lotus, meet Possum (need bodyshop advice)

This is what happens when you hit a lagre Possum at 80 miles per hour.

Note anything missing? Yep, my entire front grille. Left somewhere in the middle lane of I-80, along with what's left of said Opossum.

So, the inevitable question is... does anyone know a good shop around Sacramneto that dealt with Elise before? All lights are fine, but I'll need a new clam, new grille, a respray and starshield. I already filed a claim with Wawanesa and the adjustor will get back to me on Monday, but I'd like to find a shop by then.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Funny thing is, I have a set of HID lights that was ready for me to install them tomorrow. With them I may have seen the goddamn animal.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I dodged quite a few skunks in Missouri when I picked up my exige. I'm sure they're not as big as an opossum, but it sure is nerve racking. Glad you're ok and hopefully you'll be on the road again soon.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Been there. Hit a fat raccoon at just 30 mph and got the same result. Shattered grille and all. I bought some HIDs also just for this and may even consider attaching a front plate from BWR's front plate bracket just for "extra" protection, although it's no guarantee.

Keep your current clam in case you want to repair it and use it again.

Hey, check the tow hook rod and see if there's blood and fur on it. Bwahaha.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
This is what happens when you hit a lagre Possum at 80 miles per hour.

Thursday at work I covered 'Train vs. Car'....and the train won.....Later in the day I covered 'Bus vs. Pedestrian'.....and the bus won......but I see in 'Elise vs. Possum', nobody wins.

Sorry. :(

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Only thing I ever hit was some stupid opposum that tried to play dead. Unfortunately, he was into method acting.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Yeah, no one wins when you hit animals with your car. Even with a regular car against an animal the size of a opossum, the front end takes a beating. I hit a fat raccoon once with my old BMW 5 series after nearly missing it as I swerved away from the direction it was lumbering across the road. Unfortunately, it saw my headlights and decided to turn around and run back in front of me. Just before contact, it reared up on its back legs and impacted into my drivers side fog light, bumper and spoiler. The impact punted most of the raccoon into the ditch and left other parts of it stuck into my broken air dam, fog light and grill. The whole driver's side front was a broken stinky mess. When I got home the shattered fog light housing was hanging by the wiring harness, the spoiler was dragging on the ground, and rest of the front corner was all dented up. As I was inspecting the damage, my dog walked up to the car, gave it a sniff and lifted his leg on the dangling fog light!

It is amazing how much damage a small animal can do to a regular car much less a Lotus. Sorry to see the aftermath of your opossum encounter and I hope you can get it repaired properly and quickly.

·
Registered
807 Posts
holy crap :eek:

i was just joking on another thread about star shield protecting you from possum guts, but i guess i was very wrong.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I dodged quite a few skunks in Missouri when I picked up my exige. I'm sure they're not as big as an opossum, but it sure is nerve racking. Glad you're ok and hopefully you'll be on the road again soon.
You're lucky you didn't nail a possum in Missouri. That's possum world headquarters! They just sit in the middle of the road and stare at you with their beady little pink eyes. Thank God I never hit one while living in Missouri.

Terculees,

Sorry about your cracked clam. :(

Tom

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
sorry for the loss.
i did in a raccoon, of course there was the deer, too.........
i like my new driving lights a lot, and my new radiator,....and my new grille....and the fiberglass work....

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the clam seems to be separated in to two distinct sections, the radiator surround (upper) and the "bumper", or lack thereof. There is not one scratch of damage to my upper. Can just the lower clam be replaced or is this an all-in-one deal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, that seems like it was a hard hit! Good thing you didn't loose your small front lights. Those have been known to pop out even hitting small cones at autoX... Definitly need a new from clam shell and grille. The paint needs a few days to fully cure before the star shield is actually applied. Some people even take the car home for 30 days before they re-apply the star shield. But realistically you only need 3 or 4 days out on bright sunny days or if you're in a real rush 2 days on a spray/bake booth on long heating cycles can do the trick. If you like, once the car is finished with repairs I can bring the car back to my home (10 minutes away) for storage for a week to let the paint cure nicely... apply the star shield and you can pick it up at my shop when everything is finished. Reguardless the repairs are very easy to do and the color isn't a problem to match.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
So the clam seems to be separated in to two distinct sections, the radiator surround (upper) and the "bumper", or lack thereof. There is not one scratch of damage to my upper. Can just the lower clam be replaced or is this an all-in-one deal?
Sorry, but the clam is one "piece". It is made of two moldings that are bonded together (which creates the seam), but it really can't be easily repaired along that seam. If it cracks along the seam, it can propagate unseen farther along and separate much later after other repairs have been made, which is why it is usually a good idea to replace the clam if the cracks cross the seam...

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I already sent you my recommendation with Cars Dawydiak. It's nice you're having insurance cover it. Walter will take excellent car of you and do a top notch job.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What, no pictures of the Possum? :shrug:
Actually, if you look at the 3rd picture, you'll see a chunk of fur sticking out of the crack. I wasn't about to go into the middle lane of the freeway to photograph the rest of that bloody mess.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts