The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am very interested in purchasing a Lotus Elise. I actually found out about these cars when I was visiting Boulder, CO back in January. I saw a Tesla parked in a lot near some restaurant and someone mentioned to me that it's similar to an Elise (which I guess isn't technically true, according to this article: Mythbusters Part 2: The Tesla Roadster is not a Converted Lotus Elise | Blog | Tesla Motors)

But at any rate, I started looking up the Lotus Elise and I was enamored! I really want this car! I joined this forum today after doing some lurking for a while, but I will probably continue to lurk. I figured I would do some research on here before buying anything...

About me....I'm a recent engineering grad (AE) from Parks College at SLU, and I work for a small aircraft manufacturing company near St. Louis. We make all sorts of parts for military aircraft, commercial aircraft, etc. I work in the Quality dept. for the most part but sometimes I help out with shipping and other random stuff.

I think the only thing preventing me from getting an Elise right now is the space. I currently live in a crappy apartment near the downtown area, and I only get ONE parking spot. Gaaah! Drives me nuts. :( But I might be getting a house soon, so we'll see! I currently drive a not-so-exciting-yet-very-practical 2008 Subaru Forester XT. It has 250HP which is pretty sweet for merging on the highway and just zooming around in general. I like to joke that it would be fun to drag race it. ;) hahaha.

So anyway, I look forward to reading more posts on this forum! ;)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Can you park it in a storage unit or friends house? If not than wait until you get a house or condo or better safer place for one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you park it in a storage unit or friends house? If not than wait until you get a house or condo or better safer place for one.
Not that I can think of off the top of my head. But lease is up next month (July 31st) so I will have to outta there by then. But in all honesty I probably won't be ready to buy one by then. I want to do a lot of research first, and it seems like there isn't any for sale at the moment in my area. Would have to fly somewhere and then drive it back to the Lou. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey there, Ace

I lurked here for quite a while myself... on and off again for 7 years :eek: .

Then i bought an Elise about 6 months agohttp://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/2005-elise-silver-hard-soft-top-sport-pkg-104049/.

So - it does work. Eventually, just visiting Lotustalk... you become part of the community. Even lurking, you might easily find yourself in a place where can identify with the people - and even with the cars themselves.

St. Louis will be home again for me in about 28 days - so if/when you see a 2005 Arctic Silver Elise running around town (will be living near the loop), you'll at least know who it is. Let me know if you need a test ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Would have to fly somewhere and then drive it back to the Lou. ;)
The experience comes highly recommended. There is no better way to learn your clutch and the rest of your car, than by being forced by necessity to drive it - a lot. I flew in to a city and drove my car back on a 6 or 7 hour journey that provided a fantastic education in the transmission, handling and everything else about driving in the car on a public road. The last time i had driven a manual was... mid nineties... so... about 20 years ago.

There was some luck involved, however. The car itself was in good condition, though i did not give it a thorough checkout. I have had zero problems since purchace, but i went off of character - the seller was a LT member, and seemed legit to me in person. He pointed out some minor body damage, and provided me with a few more clues that he was being honest and was trustworthy beyond your average seller.

He also trusted me a bit when it came to payment, which was unexpected - if you both commit to a fly in / drive out purchase, sellers will want a cash transaction. Be prepared for that - as most banks will have some problems supplying you with $29,999 in cash on a particular day, and all banks will admit to the seller that even bank transfers are not "guaranteed final" for some time. Considerring the financial aspects of this kind of transaction requires the two of you to have very candid discussions.

But the driving is great. And the car is worth it. And yes, you will eventually find a place in the city of St. Louis with a garage (it took me a while), or just outside the city limits in the county for a reasonable price. You can park your daily commute vehicle in the street. Just expect that.

Then... enjoy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome...

... from another St Louis city dweller. I have an '07 Exige S, which is currently undergoing some cosmetic work, but when I get it back, I'd be happy to meet up, let you look over it, and answer any questions that I can. Also, check out our local Lotus club, STALLS. We usually get together once a month for group drives/rallys/etc.. Hope to see you around.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I took a ride in an Elise last year and was absolutely consumed until I had my very own! Do not limit your search locally. I looked nationally and got the Elise of my dreams. Just be sure to spend the $300.00 to get it inspected by a Lotus dealer and ECU analysis. They are great machines!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for all of the replies everyone. :) This seems like a really awesome community. Glad I joined up!

I haven't driven a manual in ages although I recently practiced on a BMW M3 a month or so ago and it wasn't too shabby. My daily driver is an automatic so yeah... you can definitely get rusty if you haven't driven one in a while. ;)

I am really excited to hear about STALLS maybe I will check out a meet up or something. I'd love to test drive a Lotus and that might be the answer seeing as I can't find a dealership that even has one for sale right now, new or used! The Bentley dealership out in Chesterfield has them from time to time, I think... maybe they'd let me test drive a new one. :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
There is a Lotus dealership in St. Louis, on I-64 west, out near the Chesterfield area. They have some outstanding deals right now on new 2011 models. I think they sell Bentleys, Lambos, Maseratis, Ferraris, RR, Lotus, etc.

What are you waiting on, drive out to see them and find out if they can do anything for you. I believe the website is BentleyStl.com or something like that.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am still debating about buying an Elise. I saw that a local dealership has a silver one for sale but I really want the British Racing Green color.... wondering how long I might have to wait before I can find one, especially one so close to me! Also I saw a silver Elise parked in a lot in Brentwood which is near St. Louis, MO a week or so ago, I am gonna have to post the pic I took in the sightings threads! :D

I feel like a lot of folks probably just end up with a color that isn't their favorite but that they still like since it's so hard to find these cars up for sale...unless you're willing to drive it a long distance home. Hmmm.

EDIT: And yes, I have a house now with a detached garage and it has 2 parking spots. My boyfriend's BMW M3 takes up one spot, and the other is for my Subaru although I basically never park the Subaru inside because it's much faster if I park it in front of my house and there is aaample street parking so I could park the Elise inside the garage. (Altho my BF is considering selling his M3...)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Almost a year since I posted this....Just wanted to update my thread to say that I FINALLY found my dream Elise! The seller is in Atlanta and I am trying to find a trucker to accept the haul that I posted with a broker but no one has claimed it yet. I can't fly there and drive it back because of my work schedule and I am pretty low on vacation days...also it still needs the oil line recalled part replaced and so I wouldn't feel safe driving it that far with the faulty part still in it. Here's to hoping a trucker accepts it soon, because I am dying to get my car! :D

Edited to add that I found a trucker! $750 for enclosed carrier....seems too good to be true. 0___0; My car will be here on Wednesday....I'm about to pee myself with excitement! xD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts