The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've always wanted a Lotus Esprit, and the S4S is my favorite.
I feel like I've watched every YouTube video available, and searched the Internet pretty thoroughly.
I'm looking to buy one, so I joined this forum, just to get more perspective on what to look for on a used S4S, what to expect as a prospective owner, etc. All cars have their nuances and secrets, and, in my experience, owners ALWAYS know best.

I'm not new to cars, or Internet forums, I am a former Vice President of Shelby American, and the Team Shelby Forum was my baby. I loved connecting with our customers, and helping them learn more about our cars.

Looking forward to any advice you all can offer.

Thank you,

Jer Gervasi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jer,
Welcome! I had the distinct pleasure of visiting the Shelby factory in Vegas a while back. The guy giving the tour fired up one of the Series 3 cars....awesome! shelbys are/were fantastic cars but the Esprit has always been the car for me. I spent a fair amount of time looking for an SE or S4, But then a V8 became available locally so I snapped it up. If you change you mind and Start leaning toward a V8 let me know. Good luck with your search. Graham.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Cool. [and as a Lotus owner let me kindly add.....it's about time Jer!]... ha ha.......overall it's a lot like other cars....but these cars should come with plenty of owner paper documents showing the care the car has had.......find one.....inspect it and put it on a lift......look for parts that look too new, look for patches in the body work from behind the panels as best as you can get a mirror or eyes in there, look for leaks in shocks / fuel tank / hydraulics [and how dark the brake fluid is in the master]/ tranny / head gasket / etc, look for the tire dates, take tires off and look carefully inside the wheel wells & pull on the assemblies, see if there's play in the steering, get an oil sample and get it tested......avoid the car if you can tell some real wrong things are in front of you. Inspect the seats and their mounts and the pedals. If possible, do a leak down test on the engine. I don't know if using a timing light at idle and wound up will give you any insight to the worth of the timing belt or not. Put a stethoscope on the running engine while it's up on the lift - which means someone went up with the car of course. On the test drive, after various brake warm-up passes......do a few hard stops to see if it pulls. Buy one..........drive the snot out of it.......fix what breaks. Enjoy. The best part is you'll know better than many how to inspect.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
EYERACE.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. [and as a Lotus owner let me kindly add.....it's about time Jer!]... ha ha.......overall it's a lot like other cars....but these cars should come with plenty of owner paper documents showing the care the car has had.......find one.....inspect it and put it on a lift......look for parts that look too new, look for patches in the body work from behind the panels as best as you can get a mirror or eyes in there, look for leaks in shocks / fuel tank / hydraulics [and how dark the brake fluid is in the master]/ tranny / head gasket / etc, look for the tire dates, take tires off and look carefully inside the wheel wells & pull on the assemblies, see if there's play in the steering, get an oil sample and get it tested......avoid the car if you can tell some real wrong things are in front of you. Inspect the seats and their mounts and the pedals. If possible, do a leak down test on the engine. I don't know if using a timing light at idle and wound up will give you any insight to the worth of the timing belt or not. Put a stethoscope on the running engine while it's up on the lift - which means someone went up with the car of course. On the test drive, after various brake warm-up passes......do a few hard stops to see if it pulls. Buy one..........drive the snot out of it.......fix what breaks. Enjoy. The best part is you'll know better than many how to inspect.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
EYERACE.com

Great advice, thank you!

Jer

·
Registered
431 Posts
CARFAX will likely prove a joke and waste of time and money. Past owners documents, with mileage noted on papers, will tell you much. I like to either crawl under cars I buy or look for cobwebs when up on lift. Cobwebs indicating the car's been sitting always help when discussing price

1 - 7 of 7 Posts