The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the situation is at Newport Beach Lotus? They've put everything on hold there because of questionable allocation numbers and rumors. As such they havent taken my deposit yet (#51). If the deadline, I read from other users, is Jan 10th to finalize orders, what's going on with the top 10 deposit holders?
thanks to all

·
Registered
40 Posts
newport beach lotus? is "newport european motorcars" located in costa mesa the one you are referring to? who put things on hold...im kind of confused by your post...care to clarify? i'm suposedly #6 on their waitlist (thats what my previous salesman said, but now hes gone i couldnt get that confirmed). i have yet to get a call from them about ordering.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
was 'Newport' one of the originally listed 38 dealers that appears on the US Lotus site? If so, I wouldn't worry. If not, then
you could have a big problem. as reported previously, a Lotus exec mentioned that increased dealerships won't occur for two years.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The dealer is listed in the Lotus brochure as "Lotus of Newport Beach". The actual dealership name is "Newport European Motorcars" and they are currently located in Costa Mesa in the old Lotus dealership building. I don't recall if the name of the previous dealer was Lotus of Newport Beach, or if it's just a mistake in the brochure. There never was a Lotus dealer in Newport Beach, it's just a more presitguous name. A lot of businesses do that here.

Newport European is a new store owned by Dessert European Motorcars, the largest Rolls Royce and Bentley dealer in the world, located in Rancho Mirage.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, the dealership is on the list in the brochure. It is the one in Costa Mesa, Ca (phone # 919.515.6200). The story is, from my point of view, I went to Scottsdale, AZ to the only Lotus dealer in Arizona and drove a type 111 s2 elise (yellow, 120hp, 5spd). A blast to drive by the way. I was amazed at the entire experience. I called the Lotus dealer in Costa Mesa the next day (Dec 8th) to place a deposit. The saleswoman told me that the dealership was no longer taking deposits and that she would contact me and send me an info packet when deposits are welcome again. I recently called them back a few days ago and the story was the same because they weren't sure how many cars they would get on top of the rumors about the MSRP changing (which it did from 38500 to 39985). They've gotten more calls for deposits and everything is logged by date so hopefully I'll be #51 when everything is straightened out after the LA Auto Show. Lotus has an excellent display there, but I was hopeing that they would have a strom titanium elise, the same color as the esprit there.
thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Christine at Newport European answers most calls

She's very honest and as been great to deal with.

The reason they're not accepting any more deposits is because they're not sure what their allocation is. They don't want to take a deposit from a customer and find-out later that they can't fill the order. I think the cut-off was around #45 (I'm #43).

Personally, I'm impressed that they (Newport European) would do this. It doesn't leave a prospective buyer "dangling" and disgruntled in the end.

Bob K.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Christine, that's who I spoke with. I initially spoke with her when the list was at 40 but I didn't want to place it at the time without actually looking and possibly driving the car. She also told me at that time that they would be getting 10 or 12 cars a month, but now I think it may be more like 8 from what other members are saying on this site. That's why after I drove the car in Scottsdale, AZ, I called them back to place the order. At that time she told me that they were at 50. Have you heard of anything else, RTKING? The folks at the LA Auto Show said that dealers will be getting demo cars in May for deposit holders to drive.
thanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hi Shay2nak:

I haven't heard of anything lately... but that's because I'm in Minsk, Belarus currently and haven't had a chance to speak with Christine on the update.

If you're going to be at the Auto Show, Christine will be at the Lotus booth on Saturday (January 10) from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM. I plan on swinging by and chatting with her then and to sit in the cars. (I'll also swing-by and say "Hi" to Randy too!) Hopefully Newport European will get a Federalized Elise as a demo car.

If I hear anything, I'll post it here or PM you.

Take care!

Bob

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
is Peter the one that is no longer there? He is the salesman i dealt with there. I was supposedly number 12 i think but he said that he didn't even need a deposit from me. I'm probably screwed but don't really care that much. Anyone else deal with peter and not give a deposit? I don't have the energy to actually call ;)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
offroadr35 said:
is Peter the one that is no longer there? He is the salesman i dealt with there. I was supposedly number 12 i think but he said that he didn't even need a deposit from me. I'm probably screwed but don't really care that much. Anyone else deal with peter and not give a deposit? I don't have the energy to actually call ;)
Peter has been gone from Newport European for quite a while. He left after they had the blue Elise and before the yellow one arrived.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
dwei42 said:
i'm suposedly #6 on their waitlist (thats what my previous salesman said, but now hes gone i couldnt get that confirmed). i have yet to get a call from them about ordering.
Call them immediately!!! They need to submit the first 10 orders very soon (most dealers I hear about are portraying a sense of urgency to their customers), so if they havn't called you, I'd be concerned...sounds like you're not #6 anymore. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
so did anyone get a call from newport european for ordering? i try to call them today to ask why they didnt call me to order (assuming im still #6) however i believe they are closed by now because no one answered. If someone has already ordered, then that will mean that i am obviously not #6 on the list =( . damn dealers, never know wuts going on.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Bob, for the info about Christine's attendance at the LA auto show on Jan. 10th. I'll go back and talk with her. It sounds like it would be a good idea for all deposit holders, no matter what number, to talk with her to know what's going on. However, I'm sure you'll see it here anyway.
thanks all

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anyone have any updates to share?

·
Registered
40 Posts
update is that dealer is full of ****. my salesman andres promised me #6 position in line but obviouslly he lied. hes not longer with them but i talked to christine about it. she was reluctant to give me my waitlist #. she just said "if he said you are then you are". i still havent recieved a call to order...so obviously i was lied to. chirstine could have at least told me the truth if she was genuine but she is still a sales when it ocmes down to it. i heard they are charging 2500 over msrp.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I don't understand why, if the dealer believes being on the 'up and up', he
makes sure that when a reservation #
is given, that number is marked on a
master control sheet so as to not be duplicated. If the number is also put on
the P.O., a copy of which goes to the customer as well as the dealer, how hard is it for someone to double-check each day to make sure reservation numbers were not duplicated? At worst,
the customer would know of a different reservation number in a day.....or two and not left out of the updated information loop for weeks and months on end.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yep, I just don't understand these dealers being so vague about place in line unless they might be doing some shifting around.

Kinda worries me.
Chris

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Yep, I just don't understand these dealers being so vague about place in line unless they might be doing some shifting around.

Kinda worries me.
Chris
- I know Lotus doesn't want to get involved with dealer/customer relations, but what would be the harm for them to ask all
dealers to send out to customers a short
note telling them where they are in line?
It wouldn't be time consuming and I'm sure the receptionist could do this in between her smiling and staring into space.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I can't speak for LCU, but I think they may be trying to distance themselves from the whole deposit list thing because of the fiasco with deposits during the bugatti years in the US> Several of the Lotus/Bugatti dealers had taken huge deposits well in advance of the eb110 being built. As we all know, Bugatti went belly up and a lot of the depositors never got any money back, though the deposits were taken and held by the dealers, in the end Lotus took the heat.

Agreed, definately depends on the dealer exactly how well communications are with deposit holders, the ones who seem to be playing around with the numbers would seem to have something to hide. Personally I think quite a few of these dealers won't be handling Lotus a few years from now. Hopefully as the elise popularity continues, LCU can be a bit forceful with the dealers (something they really couldn't do with the Esprits because of the small volumes.)

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts