The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus of Portland (in conjunction with Motocorsa) is sponsoring two track events at PIR this year. The first is on Monday, 4/21. The second is on 10/06. To sign up, call Motorcorsa at (503) 292-7488. Information on their events can be found here:

http://www.motocorsa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.trackDays

As I've done for the past few seasons, I will be running the ground school for novices. Dave Levy will be responsible for instructor-student pairings, and Eddie Nakato of Adrenaline Racing will handle tech and other issues.

I hope to see some of you at the track.

All the best,
Twin

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
In the event of rain, can we get a "credit" or money back?:shrug: I got the card in the mail concerning the discount but I refuse to run in the rain. Never know when someone in front of you will end up in the tire wall.;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't raised the issue with Lotus of Portland, but I'm not supportive of giving anyone a credit or returning his/her registration fee in the event of bad weather and I don't think any of the car clubs at PIR currently do so. Once an event sponsor's agreed to take a particular date, the sponsor's on the hook for the track-fees, regardless of what happens. You're not alone in terms of your reluctance to run in the rain, but typicaly most days offer some dry sessions even if it rains on and off across the course of the day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great event last year...

Definitely putting these on my radar. Could be tight as I have to fly down to CA 4/22. Last year's Motorcorsa/Lotus of Portland event was excellent.

Just got out yesterday on the newly repaved, reconfigured track with AROO. The conditions were ideal: a cool, dry day; warming around noon to the lower to mid 60s. Showed up and registered at the track. They had small run groups and lots of open track. Got a good look at the new setup. I like it, if for no other reason than it offers some new twists. It was a nearly perfect day.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I have to be in Texas for the April date but I will definitely set aside the time in October.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I haven't raised the issue with Lotus of Portland, but I'm not supportive of giving anyone a credit or returning his/her registration fee in the event of bad weather and I don't think any of the car clubs at PIR currently do so. Once an event sponsor's agreed to take a particular date, the sponsor's on the hook for the track-fees, regardless of what happens. You're not alone in terms of your reluctance to run in the rain, but typicaly most days offer some dry sessions even if it rains on and off across the course of the day.
:shrug::shrug:Gran Prix does! I'm not so worried about myself taking it easier in the rain as I am about some other dumbass taking me out in the process of showing how big his balls are.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Duck,

I hadn't know about Gran Prix Import's, but my sense is that their events are mostly geared toward business development -- i.e., toward staying engaged with their customers so that when one of them is ready to trade in their $250K Lambo, there's a positive balance in the goodwill account.

For the clubs -- and, for that matter, for Lotus of Portland which does a relatively small volume of slim-margin business -- I tend to be sympathetic toward the argument that the club shouldn't be on the hook for the track-fees just because everyone bailed because of rain.

In any event, what I can promise you is this: if our April event takes place in the wet and you observe *anyone* driving in a way that leaves you feeling at risk, I'll want to know about it, and I'll do what's necessary to keep everyone playing nicely. For that matter, if it's dry and you observe anyone driving unsafely, I'll want to know about it, and I'll do what's necessary to keep everyone playing nicely.

For what it's worth, I don't worry about anyone ahead of me because (in my view) the responsibility for my staying out of trouble lies with me. I can always give more following distance if I believe someone spinning in front of me is likely to put me at risk. I also don't worry too much about folks behind me because I can dial my own driving back a bit to add an extra margin of safety.

Where I do get concerned is when high HP cars nail the throttle to get around me in the wet because there's always a moment when, if things go badly for the passing car, you don't have many options.

In any case, I share your concerns. Still, I'd encourage you to come out anyway.

Best,
Twin

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Don't get me wrong...I always want to come out to the Motocorsa days. I do however like to leave myself options in the event it does rain. BMW club will let you cancel with 24 hours notice and forward your payment toward another track day. Lotus NW track days are still a bit different. You pre-register and on the day of the event it's all or none. If it does rain the option is to drive or not to drive. If any car enters the track...it's game on. If nobody sets foot on the track, they are not obligated financially to the track time. I'd be interested to see how many people wait last minute to sign up for one event vs another.:shrug:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NEW INFORMATION:

I just learned that Dave Simkin from Lotus, a Lotus factory tech, the factory driver, the head of PR for Lotus, and Brian Sheppard from marketing will ALL BE at the event on 4/21.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I already signed up and will be there, but first it's going to be the Porsche Club day for me next week...:shift:

C'mon Steve, don't be such a sissy...-poke-
I ran the Cascade day in March in the pouring rain and it was fun!
All this talk about how you can't drive those cars in the rain is BS.
You do need to be a little more careful, especially when you are out there on AO48's (I hydroplaned a few times on the back straight), but overall it is a great experience and a lot of fun.
I'll be there, rain or shine...:coolnana:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK Evil, I'll bite...........Why?
Because I'm suffering the dreaded "ice-mode" with my brakes and after turning record-fast laps at Thunderhill this past weekend, the factory is going to sponsor me next season for a new American race series.

Okay, none of that is true (well, the ice-mode is certainly true). I think it's just an exercise in goodwill and touching base with the customers. Either that or they heard that Portland has a great restaurant scene, and Ron Tonkin is treating them to dinner.

Twin

HerrC, I, too, will be at PIR for the PCA event on 4/9 (and at Pacific Raceways teaching for the BMWCCA event on 4/11), so I'll see you next week.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Come to find out I can't make it anyway.:( Have to be in Sunriver for an Athletic Director show.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone up for a drive this weekend

I cant wait, My 2005 lotus will be out of the shop tomorrow with the new big brakes and the sector 111 supercharger. This will be my first track day with lotus I have only done track days with pro drive. Anyone up for a drive this weekend

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many track days have you done in total, Tod, and what group are you registered for?

Herr C, good to see you yesterday at the PCA day. Sorry that I didn't have much time to talk. I tend to get pulled in several directions at these things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have done 2 track days with my lotus and one in a atom. I will be the intermediate group. I don't what to hold any one up but I don't want be be held up:shrug:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a note of caution, but you're reaching the point where you are most likely to have an off-track incident, and you've just added pretty serious horsepower to an already quick car. You're also putting yourself in a group where you will not have an instructor, which means you won't have anyone to spot you as you get near the limit. The Lotus is a joy, but it's also an extremely unforgiving car. Pls. be prudent and stay in your comfort zone. I understand your concerns about "not wanting to be held up", but I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with your running without an instructor with only three track days under your belt. I'll give it some thought, but I'd encourage you to reconsider. Just because the car is fast on the straights, doesn't mean that you'll be fast on the corners. At yesterday's PCA event, I kept up with and passed a C6 Z-06 driven by another instructor. It's really not about the car -- and all about your skills.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
How many track days have you done in total, Tod, and what group are you registered for?

Herr C, good to see you yesterday at the PCA day. Sorry that I didn't have much time to talk. I tend to get pulled in several directions at these things.
Hello Mr.Twin!
Looking back I have to say I had the best time so far at the track on Wednesday.
Even though it was a very diverse day.
Initially I tried to sign up for the novice group, but it was booked out and so they put me into intermediate, which made me a little nervous.
One very good thing about the Porsche day is that you can request an instructor, even in the intermediate group. And it turned out that my instructor (Scott) is a colleague of mine at work.
My first session in the morning was pretty much a nightmare! It was raining, the track was wet, the car was all over the place, I didn’t find the right braking points, …:shrug:
I felt like I was driving my car for the first time ever.
It might have been the combination of AO48’s, rain and cold weather.
But I also think that I was nervous about running in the intermediate group for the first time and didn’t know what to expect.
And then came the second session and the track was dry or only slightly damp by then.
And from there on everything turned around 180 degrees.
I became more confident, found my line, hit the braking points right etc.
It was the first time that Scott had been in the Elise, and after the first session on the dry track he mentioned that he was scared a little as I was still on full throttle past the 400 mark on the front straight and the 250 mark on the back…But he said that with a big grin on his face.
During the four sessions of the day I only got passed twice total, once by an Audi RS4 and once by a M3.
I remember passing a guy in his Z4 M twice in one session.:huh:

Scott was very aggressive and encouraged me to try different lines and push my limits when it was safe. A great experience after all and kudos to him.
At the end of the day he told me that I should no longer run intermediate but rather move on to advanced.:eek:

I take this as a big compliment, but on the other hand I want to keep the horse in front of the cart and not get too self confident.
I went and changed my group for the Motocorsa day from Novice to Intermediate, but that’s where I intend to stay for a while before moving on.
There are still a lot of things I need to learn before that.

I don’t have any issues being “slowed down” every now and then. Usually you only have to back off a little for half a lap before the slower guys let you pass.
And on the other hand I have no issue if someone in a faster car (or a better driver) passes me. It’s not hurting my ego.
The others do their thing, I do mine.
And at the end we all play along nicely and have a good time.

So yesterday when I showed up at work I had a couple of guys stop by at my desk telling me that Scott was talking to them about Wednesday and what a great time he had riding along with me. (and no, I have no influence on his salary – he’s higher up in the food chain then I am…).

Anyways, since yesterday I have new brakes on the car and did my oil change / tech inspection, and I can hardly wait to get out there again on the 21st…:shift:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts