The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

While Lotus's philosophy of making its cars as light weight as possible has obvious benefits on the race track, owners of non-supercharged Elise and Exige models can attest to the fact that the tiny Toyota-sourced engines don't always deliver the sort of thrust one might hope for.

To help remedy this situation Lotus has just announced a new factory engineered, warrantied and 50 state legal supercharger kit. Using the same supercharger and intake manifold as found on the Elise SC, this kit also includes high flow fuel injectors and a reprogrammed ECU which can be bought and installed at any authorized Lotus dealer in the U.S. and Canada.

Compatible with any Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine the Lotus supercharger kit boost engine output from 189hp to 218hp and torque from 133 ft-lbs to 155 ft-lbs. Torque also comes on earlier at just 5000 rpm (as opposed to 6800 rpm in the naturally aspirated mode) to deliver a stronger powerband.

"Lotus Elise and Exige owners are genuine driving enthusiasts and that's what has attracted them to Lotus cars in the first place," said Lotus Cars USA, Director of Operations Arnie Johnson. "They will fully appreciate the dramatically enhanced driving character these Lotus Supercharger Kits will bring their vehicles and the peace of mind from a fully warranted, factory engineered kit."

More: Lotus Offers Supercharger Kit for Elise, Exige Models on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If it's against the law in California to modify stock cars for power, why is a factory kit legal? Or is it?

·
Registered
538 Posts
If it's against the law in California to modify stock cars for power, why is a factory kit legal? Or is it?
Simple, because it's CARB approved. Car manufacturers have to jump through hoops to meet regulations while your regular tuner guy can give a rats *** and do whatever they want regardless of state regulations (or is it government now?) Anyways, it is legal.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
CARB = California Air Resource Board

Wiki quote:

Due to its pre-existing standards and particularly severe automobile-driven air pollution problems in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the U.S. state of California has special dispensation from the federal government to promulgate its own automobile emissions standards. Other states may choose to follow either the national standard or the stricter California standards. States following the California standards include Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona (as well as the District of Columbia and Bernalillo County, New Mexico) and are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions since the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.
It's cheaper than buying a used 2007 Exige S ... I think? $7000-$8000 to have kit installed.

If you aren't one of the listed states, you can go to town on your car.

Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just had mine installed on my 07 Elise by Fox Valley in Chicago. $5650 +tax installed. Call John Nichols at 603-654-9000. T.J. (LT member and Lotus tech at FVMC) will take great care of you.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
$6000 for 29hp?!!??

Why cant they turn it into a 260? Then it would be worth it

You know.... Lotus is too conservative. They will never beat Ferrari, nor Lamborghini.

·
Registered
538 Posts
$6000 for 29hp?!!??

Why cant they turn it into a 260? Then it would be worth it

You know.... Lotus is too conservative. They will never beat Ferrari, nor Lamborghini.
I'm sure it has to do with costs and at 29hp, it is worth it simply because it's CARB legal (for the folks in CA)

Somehow, I doubt Lotus is trying to beat Ferrari and Lamborghini but when they do, I think the Esprit replacement will do it. :D

·
Registered
944 Posts
Lotus Factory Supercharger

My install began today at SportDurst in Durham, NC.
It is there first factory install.
Looking foward to feel the result.

·
Registered
344 Posts
98 Espirit

The 98 Espirit v8 twin turbo was the quickest production car of that year, stomping everythings ass. It failed to get top honors in the top speed catagory but not due to a lack of power it simply ran out of gear.

I believe it's top speed was 180mph +/- which it achieved with authority.
How often does anyone push beyond that?

Neither Ferrari nor Lamborghini posted acceleration numbers near their Lotus counterpart.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, (You always do) but I'm thinking that an Elise with 270+ whp is going to be tough for any car to contend with.

I get that this is about a 29 horsepower gain and nowhere near 270 at the wheel. But isn't the rest merely a matter of managing Head temp, charge air temp and tune, safely up to the 250hp to 270hp range without necessarily having to go through the internals.

I see nothing wrong with 350whp out of a properly built engine. I'd, in fact, like to see a ferrari or a lambo try to take on a 300whp Elise.
I'm certain the Elise would dominate.

If the oilfield business kicks off again soon, I'll be tickled to show you.

Bottom line is a kit like this one is a respectable jumping off point for someone who feels it prudent to progress in stages.

It's like adding beef to your stew, or adding weenies to you pot of beans.

I've read about a little plug that likes to go all the way through the little hole in the supercharger and really tears up engines. So be careful if you intend to install it yourself.

It seems the supplied 1/8" npt plug may not be tapered.

Darrell

·
Registered
852 Posts
Problem is, there just isn't much left in the MP45 beyond 220-230hp or so for our 1.8L engines. The MP45 is already spinning near peak RPM when the engine's at 8500 rpm to make that much power, so the only real way to get to 270hp would be to scrap the supercharger and mounting system including the manifold and move up to the MP62. This is why most other solutions use the MP62, including the stock Exiges.

John

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm surprised its so hard to get 300whp out of this engine. I am not to familiar with it, but I know its nothing to get 350whp out of the 2.5l boxer engine in the STi or 350 whp in the 2l 4b11t in the current Evo, and that is 17 percent drive train loss due to AWD. (All for about 4-5k dollars) I would think it would be relatively easy to at least get 290-310 in the Lotus. Of coarse I'm Lotus stupid as this point, and don't have one in the garage yet.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Factory SC

Lotus of Durham is currently doing my install now. They went "clam off" today.
I am kind of surprised they had to take it off.
Others that have gone factory, did they take off the clam??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts