The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to be taking a little trip to Boston next week and I was thinking on taking the Lotus instead of the normal DD. Do you think it would be safe to take the car for a few days and have valet park it? Plus, in terms of the roads, are the pot holes going to be an issue? I know the Palisades Parkway and NYS Thruway are hell. Hence forth I've yet to take the car out yet.

Also, I have no front plate. Are the troopers going to bust my balls on this? Around NYC and NY, they've left me alone cause I have a PBA badge. However, outside NY, not too sure if that's going to help or not.

Open for advice. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'd say go for it, because you'll always look back and wish you had if you didn't!

For cops: They will most likely only look at the back plate (speeding).
For valet: If it's in a private lot, you won't need to worry about a front plate. I would print out a small illustration on "how to shift into reverse" for the valet.
For public parking: Bring your front plate and zip ties if you need peace of mind (bring something to cut the ziptie too)

Buy a "go Redsox" vinyl sticker and put it on your rear window. Remove when back in NY ;)

Let me know how it goes...you're also my guinea pig haha

·
Registered
676 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
The front plate should not be an issue in MA since it's a NY plated car, not MA. Yes, it's an issue in NY but I can't imagine that a MA cop could give you a ticket for not having a NY front plate. That would be like a NY cop giving you a ticket for windows being tinted too dark but it's a car plated in Florida where it is legal.

As for Valet, no freaking way would I let them touch it. I have spoken to so many people who were valets and they all said the same thing. "We have so much fun with the cars we park, especially the high end ones!" Park it yourself

PS - I took mine to Boston two weeks ago from lower CT and so glad I did.

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked and there is a parking lot right next door to the hotel. Score!!! Just need to see if the luggage can fit in the back seat. Not too sure I want the luggage in the booty for so long. Could be a bit hot back there for a four hour drive.

I ordered the Simpson Strong-Tie from HD. Anything I need to know about installing it? Is it similar to the way I installed the one for my Elise a few years back?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Some of the ones in NY are pretty muckin huge.
T'was ever thus. In the old days, the ALFA Romeo dealer in NYC sold all cars with a rally skidplate since so many cars had broken the alloy oil pan when a front tire dropped into a pothole.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Go for it

I driven to Pittsburg, Watkins Glen only reason to stay clear of potholes don't want to blow a tire. Two dealers along the way one Ct the other in Ma. As for valets I live in Manhattan too and when I park in a garage I tip the valet $5 bucks to park and lock leaving them the keys. If that's not an option tip the $5 and show them the immobilizer ask them to put it in a spot where they won't have to move it. One more thing if the hotel has a driveway tip $20 and ask them to leave it out in front. Have fun and stay out of everyone's blindspots.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I ordered the Simpson Strong-Tie from HD. Anything I need to know about installing it? Is it similar to the way I installed the one for my Elise a few years back?
Just test fit first. You might have to make some bends and holes, but if you are handy you should have no problems. You'll need an m8 screw to screw on the tow hook i believe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
As for Valet, no freaking way would I let them touch it. I have spoken to so many people who were valets and they all said the same thing. "We have so much fun with the cars we park, especially the high end ones!" Park it yourself

PS - I took mine to Boston two weeks ago from lower CT and so glad I did.

Do what I do when I valet. Tell them you will self park in the valet section up front and pay them extra to look after it. I take my keys with me and tell them because they wouldn't be able to start it without knowing the algorithm

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
All of you driving your cars already. None of you are concerned about salt?

Mine don't leave the garage till at least 3 rains.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Checked and there is a parking lot right next door to the hotel. Score!!! Just need to see if the luggage can fit in the back seat. Not too sure I want the luggage in the booty for so long. Could be a bit hot back there for a four hour drive.

I have gone on a 6 + hour trip with luggage and camera gear in the trunk, no problem. Now I would not put any thing heat sensitive or perishable in the trunk for that long. With my 2+0, I have a good amount of room for a get away. I agree about the valet parking, i have never let them touch my car!
Ron:clap:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I work in Boston and park the Evora here weekly (it's an hour drive from my town and I have no front plates). Depending on where your hotel is I can give give you a few parking garage recommendations. You definitely want to be indoors, several floors deep.

If your hotel is in back bay, definitely park at 131 Dartmouth. The 4th floor is wide open and there are several supercars down there.

And if you want any bar/restaurant recs I'd be happy to help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts