The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have the opportunity to become a Lotus Original dealer but it requires a bit of a commitment on our part (Lotus of Newport Beach) in terms of merchandising and want to get the forum members opinion on this. I understand that some have expressed the prices were a bit too steep however if you take away the VAT and shipping from the UK or Italy and the fact that I'd be stocking things such as key chains, pens, mugs, caps, t-shirts, anything related to Lotus F1...in other words, nothing overly expensive. Just want to get your opinion or see the interest level here.

My opinion, for the longest Lotus has carried poor quality merchandising with only a few that were up to par. I really like the Lotus original stuff and think it would sell well here. You're opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Abe

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The Lotus origianls designs IMO are uninspired and the majority of the clothing is excessively overpriced.

THe mugs and keychains are more affordable but still overpriced.

The current range of items is still Dany influenced. If they revamp the designs to be more relevant to the marque and made them reasonably price they would sell a lot more.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I have several items of clothing, and find the quality to be very good. The prices are competitive with fine quality items sold here if adjusted for taxes and shipping.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Lotus origianls designs IMO are uninspired and the majority of the clothing is excessively overpriced.

THe mugs and keychains are more affordable but still overpriced.

The current range of items is still Dany influenced. If they revamp the designs to be more relevant to the marque and made them reasonably price they would sell a lot more.
Thanks for the feedback Kyle :up:

I have several items of clothing, and find the quality to be very good. The prices are competitive with fine quality items sold here if adjusted for taxes and shipping.
Last years LA autoshow, Lotus allowed us to sell their merchandise and I have to admit, it was definitely up to par with other fine quality, name brand companies. We sold quite a bit to people who buy Porsche, BMW, MBZ and Ferrari merchandising and most thought it was better.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I only looked through it once, I seem to remeber t-shirts being $75?
That's twice what I'd be willing to spend when unlicensed Lotus products can be purchased on eBay for a song.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
what are the contractual commitments to F1 related goodies for 2013? if your investing in that, i would expect you to have in and out clauses if lotus f1 goes away (that is to say - lotus not holding the licensing rights to lotus f1 merchandise) in 6 months time...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Hadn’t really looked into what they offer, when you factor in the 21% VAT not bad on pricing for many of the items. Checked into the F1 and some of the other stuff, several items I’d like to pick up. Hopefully you are ready to take orders before the holiday season starts. :UK:

Here is the website:

http://www.lotusoriginals.com/en/

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'd get some more F1 stuff

As for the rest, nothing really appeals except for the leather jackets..... I'd be all over them if they were more reasonably priced.

I'm with Kyle on the rest of the line also in that I'd be more interested if they were more Lotus relevant rather than misc type numbers etc

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only looked through it once, I seem to remeber t-shirts being $75?
That's twice what I'd be willing to spend when unlicensed Lotus products can be purchased on eBay for a song.
I think it'd be less than that now.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Abe you lost me there about the VAT and shipping, don't you (Abe) still need to pay shipping and how is that going to bring down the prices. I think it's a great adea if you to become a vendor and I will be one of your clients!!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what are the contractual commitments to F1 related goodies for 2013? if your investing in that, i would expect you to have in and out clauses if lotus f1 goes away (that is to say - lotus not holding the licensing rights to lotus f1 merchandise) in 6 months time...
That's a good question and something I've thought of but realistically, if you look at their pricing, none of it is overly expensive and very doable to the average person. That said, I'd definitely wouldn't over stock anything. Thanks :up:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Abe you lost me there about the VAT and shipping, don't you (Abe) still need to pay shipping and how is that going to bring down the prices. I think it's a great adea if you to become a vendor and I will be one of your clients!!
There are some fees that Lotus Original is willing to work with me on and pricing would be slightly adjusted not just in terms of conversion rate but what I'd set retail price at as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If I understand correctly, the $87 dollar t-shirts listed on the Lotus Originals site would sell for something like $69 in Newport Beach? That still seems expensive when you consider that officially licensed Ferrari t-shirts sell for $58 at store.ferrari.com.

My opinion is, while I would LOVE for Lotus branded items to be easily available to me, if your fee and conversion rate negotiations can't bring your prices in line with the perceived value/cost of similar Ferrari stuff, it may not be worth carrying the line.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have purchased a couple items from Lotus Originals and was actually very impressed with the quality of the materials, the construction, and over time the wear. YES these items cost more than the usual run of the mill t-shirts, and the usual dress shirts. But that's part of what I would expect from a higher end more exclusive brand.

I also own some Aston Martin clothing, and I recently shopped some stuff from the Porsche Design lifestyle store. All of these examples were on par with one another for quality vs cost and all were what I would expect from the brands they represent.

I recently had this same discussion with a fellow friend and car guy who owns a Shelby product like me... We both wish that Shelby would upscale the quality and cost of their clothing line... Right now a 35 t-shirt from Shelby is nothing more than a crummy screen print design on a stupid no-name blank t-shirt from the local screen print store. Nothing appears very custom and quality and sense of design sucks. =cheapens the brand in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I understand correctly, the $87 dollar t-shirts listed on the Lotus Originals site would sell for something like $69 in Newport Beach? That still seems expensive when you consider that officially licensed Ferrari t-shirts sell for $58 at store.ferrari.com.

My opinion is, while I would LOVE for Lotus branded items to be easily available to me, if your fee and conversion rate negotiations can't bring your prices in line with the perceived value/cost of similar Ferrari stuff, it may not be worth carrying the line.
Thanks, it is something that I'm trying to get a handle on before truly making the commitment if at all. That said, Porsche sells t-shirts ranging from $38 to $70 as does BMW and MBZ. Still, I need to sort it out where it makes sense for everyone.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
i could play abe dpeending on the product...that leather jacket is nuts

1 - 20 of 51 Posts