The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is at a highly reputable shop getting repairs done to the right rear quarter panel that was tapped while parked.

The issue is LOTUS parts. Apparently they sent the body shop a replacement clam but after it arrived the body shop did a thorough inspection and determined that their were stress cracks at the mounting points. :wallbang: He stated that this is somewhat common from LOTUS and that it was agreed that they would send another clam.

Is this typicle for LTOUS OEM parts? It frustrating to have to wait an additional 2 and a half weeks...going on 6 weeks total because of faulty OEM parts. :shrug:

My dealings with LOTUS thus far have not been good. Oil line recall that has been pushed to the back burner and now the issue with faulty OEM parts being shipped to body shops. :popcorn:

Is this an anomoly or par for the course when dealing with LOTUS for parts? :confused:

I bought the car for summer weekends and now it looks like I will miss 2 months this year. :mad:

Tim

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
prior to buying my Elise i read that getting clams from Lotus delivered in a sane amount of time was laughable at best, so i just really try to avoid accidents when i drive & hope for the best... i also knew about the oil line issues but decided that my DIY fix would ultimatly be much more reliable than whatever Lotus felt like spending $ on.

with that said, one of the reason i bought the car was because of the avaliability of drivetrain parts (sourcing it from Toyota wasnt that bad a move on Lotus's part, even though many of us wish they would have signed a deal with Honda instead)... but atleast it wasnt rover powered, so i suppose we in the states cant bitch that much

but yes, dealing with lotus especially with the changes they are going through now (& have been for a couple years now) will continue to make it difficult for owners when it comes to lotus specific parts/service

i suppose thats a price we pay for driving an affordable exotic huh?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Getting parts from lotus is generally a huge pain in the ass. Last time I needed something the sent the wrong part.

I ordered wheels through lotus. Lotus USA had three, and the fourth was shipped from England.

Why would they only have three?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Getting parts from lotus is generally a huge pain in the ass. Last time I needed something the sent the wrong part.

I ordered wheels through lotus. Lotus USA had three, and the fourth was shipped from England.

Why would they only have three?
Because they sold the fourth one.:shrug:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah..bottom line is that it's a huge black eye to the company. Fire and forget mentality for owners is not going to keep the loyalty among owners.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've bought two clams from a dealer that were damaged in shipping and rejected by the original owners. It looks like Lotus just ships them loose and hopes for the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts