The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the thread for sharing your parts hoarding problems. For me, I have plans to keep the car forever, and since 90915-10004 oil filters seems to be discontinued, I've built up a stockpile of 19 of those filters. Hopefully, that'll last close to the lifetime of the car!

Anybody else want to share their hoarding problems?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Er, a quick search shows that filter isn't gone entirely. It's just replaced by 90915YZZF1.

The Toyota bits should stay easy to find for a while, since there's a ton of 2zzge and similar engines out there. The hard-to-find bits are the Lotus ones. In particular, clams are periodically hard to find. Smaller bits too, but you can usually find aftermarket parts for stuff like the back hatch cover, etc.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Er, a quick search shows that filter isn't gone entirely. It's just replaced by 90915YZZF1.

The Toyota bits should stay easy to find for a while, since there's a ton of 2zzge and similar engines out there. The hard-to-find bits are the Lotus ones. In particular, clams are periodically hard to find. Smaller bits too, but you can usually find aftermarket parts for stuff like the back hatch cover, etc.
I just bought that filter last week at my local Toyota dealer. I think it is used by a few of their models so probably will be around for quite some time.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yup, it has been replaced by 90915-YZZF1. Prevailing internet wisdom is just that 90915-10004 is better, which is why I stocked up.

·
Registered
903 Posts
meh I have been using the K&N filter and since they switched production to mexico the filter now is absolutely terrible - half the packing, totally different internals, etc. I just went and picked up a Mobil1 filter per the teardown tech wiki post on BOE.

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
of all the parts to hoard, why would you pick oil filters? there are plenty available that are better than oem....

If I had the spare cash and cheap space I'd be hoarding clams and other bits that are lotus specific and don't have much of any availability from other manufacturers

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
^this x 1000. Buy used, damaged clams. Maybe headlights too if you can get a deal.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Drivetrain parts will be around for a long time to come, and almost everything else that's functional (suspension, steering, braking, cooling) is addressed very well by the aftermarket.

If I were to hoard anything I'd hoard the hard-to-replicate big and/or transparent body parts: clams, headlight covers, taillights, and marker lights. Everything else (trim, interior pieces, grilles) is less frequently damaged and much easier to reproduce either by forming fiberglass glass or CF or by 3D printing.

Honestly I only worry about clams, but I think the aftermarket will step up on US clam replicas sooner than later now that they're on perpetual backorder.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
of all the parts to hoard, why would you pick oil filters? there are plenty available that are better than oem....

If I had the spare cash and cheap space I'd be hoarding clams and other bits that are lotus specific and don't have much of any availability from other manufacturers
The problem is I don't have the space. Oil filters are tiny.

Besides, the point of this thread is, what hoarding problems do YOU have?

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
The problem is I don't have the space. Oil filters are tiny.

Besides, the point of this thread is, what hoarding problems do YOU have?
I already shared that. My hoarding problems are not enough money and cheap storage space :D

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
This is the thread for sharing your parts hoarding problems. For me, I have plans to keep the car forever, and since 90915-10004 oil filters seems to be discontinued, I've built up a stockpile of 19 of those filters. Hopefully, that'll last close to the lifetime of the car!

Anybody else want to share their hoarding problems?
Ya, I have a "mild" problem with Lotus parts hoarding. :eek:

What would be interesting is to have a place in the Marketplace Parts Market forum where others can post their "inventory" lists of things "not for sale". And then others could see who has what and make offers that "they can't refuse". Because even though I'm not using my 3 full sets of black LSS wheels with A048s mounted on them, I'm not planning on selling a set. ...unless the price was right. :rolleyes:

Kind of like a 'pickers' virtual environment that would eliminate all the traveling but keep all the negotiating excitement.

Hey, nobody better go out and build a "virtual pickers" site now!!! That's MY idea!!! e-Pickers :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
meh I have been using the K&N filter and since they switched production to mexico the filter now is absolutely terrible - half the packing, totally different internals, etc. I just went and picked up a Mobil1 filter per the teardown tech wiki post on BOE.
Boo. When did they do this? I put a new one in a couple months ago and bought a couple extras :[

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Because even though I'm not using my 3 full sets of black LSS wheels with A048s mounted on them...
That's an interesting issue with parts hoarding, spoilage. What good will those A048s be when they're too old to be safely used? Not many other parts on the car that go bad with time that I can think of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts