The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering taking the two day Lotus course. They have one happening next year on my birthday, what a nice gift to myself. I wonder if you that have taken it would pay for it. I would appreciate opinions based upon what I'd like to experience. I have never taken a performance driving course, I only want to take it to learn how to drive the Lotus better, and I don't expect to use it on the track ever. Just simply to know how the limits, understand better how to drive, etc.

Opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I've been out with the instructors and i know a couple of them , they're good guys its well worth it plus the track is a blast.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I did the 2 day course and it is first class. You will learn a lot, have a great time and come away very impressed with the abuse the Lotus can take. You also get a bunch of seat time.

·
Premium Member
11,945 Posts
How much does it cost? Versus, say the Bertil Roos or Skip Barber courses?

Is in the Atlanta area?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I took the class at the Lotus factory, which has + & -'s: lots of Lotus folks, great track, etc. But, RHD in the rain... It was also before I look delivery of my Elise, so I spent the whole time just learning the car.

I think it is a great course and I heartily recommend it.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Premium Member
11,945 Posts
thanks. I don't know what's worse, Atlanta or Myrump, NV.

Course looks pretty safe, not much to hit...aside from other cars.

ANY performance driving school is fun and useful. In this one, you get to drive something similar to what you own.

Price doesn't seem too bad either.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I am considering taking the two day Lotus course. They have one happening next year on my birthday, what a nice gift to myself. I wonder if you that have taken it would pay for it. I would appreciate opinions based upon what I'd like to experience. I have never taken a performance driving course, I only want to take it to learn how to drive the Lotus better, and I don't expect to use it on the track ever. Just simply to know how the limits, understand better how to drive, etc.

Opinions?

Thanks!
Do it -- you love Spring Mountain.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Might somebody provide links to the Atlanta and MD schools? I can only find information on the NV school

Thanks

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I wonder if you that have taken it would pay for it.
Hi Joe -

I'd definitely pay for it...for myself. :D
I would appreciate opinions based upon what I'd like to experience. I have never taken a performance driving course, I only want to take it to learn how to drive the Lotus better, and I don't expect to use it on the track ever. Just simply to know how the limits, understand better how to drive, etc.

Opinions?

Thanks!
Quite seriously, I'd do it in a flash. I had a track session with Alastair McQueen at the LOG track day in TX last year and it was eye-opening to say the least. I've been fortunate enough to have also had a track day with Alastair at Hethel, as well as a Lotus Extreme Driving Experience day there. Wouldn't have missed either for the world.

Great b'day present to yourself. Like the Nike ad sez, "Just DO IT!" :coolnana:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It's around $1750, and should be well worth it. I just took the one day and learned a lot, since I have Zero track experience. Do not do it from JUne to september in Vegas, too hot. All the guys were great and very patient.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
most of the track has good run off, theres only a couple of spots where you could have a short chat with a wall, theres a couple of interesting turns and a very long straight, theres also a couple of brothels close by and a musem of brothel art, but not much else.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
most of the track has good run off, theres only a couple of spots where you could have a short chat with a wall, theres a couple of interesting turns and a very long straight, theres also a couple of brothels close by and a musem of brothel art, but not much else.
Charlie,

I believe the Lotus school only uses the 1.5 circuit...looks to be very safe. Besides, don't you get to drive their Elises. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I took the 1 day class this July. Agreed on NOT going during the summer months. They get it started at some crazy hour in the AM to keep out of the afternoon sun. It is an almost perfect first class for an intro to the track. On the 2 day they also do heel toe shifting, which would have been fun. I think tacking a class on track is fun, but getting to do it in the same car you own means everything translates perfectly for when you get home. Instructors were all good and I think this would be a good start to going out to HPDE events. (Which are only $250 a day w/ your own car, so not nearly so pricey)

Hope you enjoy it,
Adam

1 - 20 of 107 Posts