The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 March 2008 NEWS RELEASE

2008 Lotus Europa Range
Group Lotus plc unveils a new updated and significantly enhanced range of Europa’s at the
78th annual Geneva International Motor Show. The new entry level Europa is priced at £27,950
MSRP / 37,500, with the range topping Europa SE available for a competitive £32,995 MSRP
41,500 /Euro prices are without taxes, delivery & other related costs).

These new Europa variants have been designed and developed especially for European
customers and will be sold exclusively across Europe from June 2008. The Europa is now
available to a larger target audience with the entry level car providing a more accessible way
to own a Europa and the SE designed to appeal to those who are even more style conscious
and want increased levels of performance.

Mike Kimberley, CEO of Group Lotus plc commented: “As the true driver will know, this Europa
range, offers access to Lotus’ unique DNA for those who perceive the Elise and Exige as a
little too uncompromising for everyday use. The new Europa SE sits at the more refined end of
the Lotus spectrum, providing a terrific mix of performance, agility and style, but incorporates
Lotus’s values and heritage”.

The Europa has a mid-mounted 2 litre turbo charged engine, tuned in the SE with an all new
calibration to 225 PS and with 300 Nm of torque to offer effortless cruising capability. Even
though the Europa is engineered with more relaxed driving characteristics it provides amazing
performance, with 0-60 mph in the SE dispatched in 5.5s (0-100 km/h in 5.7s estimated) and
the sprint to 100 mph (160 km/h) taking just 13.0s (estimated). Given the legal opportunity to
stretch its legs, the Europa SE will hit a top speed of 143 mph (estimated).

The Europa now offers increased levels of comfort over the Elise and Exige whilst enhancing
the focused driving experience that you would expect from a Lotus. These models are both
equipped with race car derived double wishbone suspension to give an exceptional driving feel
with Lotus DNA. The sleek Europa body work, together with the assistance of the flat
underbody, generates positive downforce to provide balanced handling at speed.

The Europa SE has attractive and light weight new wheels, which are shod with wider, high
performance tyres, for increased levels of grip. These new high performance wheels are larger
with 17” rims up front, and larger 18” rims on the rear. The new wheels house high
performance AP Racing four pot brakes and larger (308 mm) diameter discs.
The SE interior has been updated by Lotus Design with a stylish new design that works in
harmony with the premium avant-garde Ice White of the Geneva Show car. The interior is
finished using 4 hides of soft, lightweight high-grade leather, to ensure that every surface has
a luxuriant tactile feel.

As with all 2008 Lotus road cars, the Europa and Europa SE come with driver and passenger
airbags and an engine start button as standard. The Europa interior is furnished with leather
sports seats and comes as standard with a high quality stereo system.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the Eagle will actually be called the Europa?
No, this is a variant of the existing Europa. Just an interesting news item from Lotus, we will not see this car in the US market.:coolnana:

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Not my favorite looking car (the body looks distinctively Japanese to me), but if it gets more people interested in the Lotus brand...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In general, my experience is that in person the car looks a lot better and most people end up really liking it.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i think it looks awesome

·
Registered
570 Posts
The only thing that I don't like about it is that the lights don't have simple straight line at the bottom. I really like the looks of the car and can't remember a car from Asia that even comes close.

I'm amazed that Lotus didn't think that Americans would never go for the Elise/Exige and only import the Europa. I'm glad that they made the decision to bring the smaller car here.

Ken

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
It would seem to me the Europa would be more suitable as an underwater model than the elise.....

·
Registered
582 Posts
Is this the one that was going to give Aston's, Lamborghini's a run for their money or is that the Eagle?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neither.

The Esprit will go up against the Lambos. A quick rundown of the cars.

Elise/Exige - Car presently sold. A track day car for the street. Car is designed for road fun and feedback. A good compromise for a street car.

2-Eleven - Elise variant for track use. Hard core car with anticipated low volume sales. Not street legal in the US market.

Europa - Designed for Malaysian market but ended up being sold to Europe market. Lower sills, more plush interior. Turbo engine. More torque and leather. Some are critical of the car as being too much of a compromise. This car has been available for some time in the Europe/UK markets and Lotus has sold a good number of cars. It is not for sale and will not be for sale to the US market. The press release above is a new range or Europas being sold.

Eagle - new car coming start of '09. Will debut in London at British Auto Show. There will be variants of this car including a 2+2, retractable hardtop model, and more. Uses new VVA chassis, Toyota/Lexus V6. Considered a mid-level car by Lotus, more than the Elise, less than the Esprit. Rumors have the car possibly resembling the M250 concept car.

Esprit - The Super Car from Lotus. Will compete at the higher levels using possibly a BMW supplied V8 engine. This car will arrive in 2011.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'm amazed that Lotus didn't think that Americans would never go for the Elise/Exige and only import the Europa. I'm glad that they made the decision to bring the smaller car here.
Well, considering that the Elise preceded the (new) Europa b y at least 10 years, and the US spec Elise pre-dated the Europa by several years before they even started designing the Europa, I don't think it's amazing at all... ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts