The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dollar fell to $1.5504 per euro today and some say it will hit $1.65 per euro by the end of the year... What does that mean for future sales?? For Lotus? Are the '09, '10 Elise cars going to be considerably higher priced?? Is this something to worry about..??

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Personally I think it's good for the brand. When I bought mine in 2005 I felt like I was stealing the car. What you get in the way of performance, styling, and maintenance is far superior compared to similarly priced cars.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
my future predicting abilities aren't working today.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Personally I think it's good for the brand. When I bought mine in 2005 I felt like I was stealing the car. What you get in the way of performance, styling, and maintenance is far superior compared to similarly priced cars.
HA! good thing you started off with "personally". Some of us NEED to steal it in order to get it! At this rate I won't afford one for another 3 years!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Well, if you like, you can always pay over MSRP (Loanshark, ahem).

Seriously, couldn't Lotus "hedge" the currency? Honestly, I'm never really understood how that worked but I've heard other companies like Porsche doing something similar.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The more relevant exchange rate is between the $ and the GBP, and that has been holding pretty close to steady for some time now. So price changes other than inflation may not be as bad as the fluctuating $/Euro rate might suggest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If we head into the recession that's predicted (Buffett says it's already here) I don't see how the price can raise.

If you look at resale trends of cars in the 50k-80k range right now, they're slowing. Been looking for a new daily lately, and BMW / Merc dealers have offered pre-owned cars often 5-7k under the Edmunds or KBB values in an effort to move them.

Even with a weakening dollar, which will continue downward before it improves, I'm sure, I don't know if Lotus can mark the price up much more.

Aren't most dealers "flush" with cars at the moment? It would only get worse...

JM

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I thought the same thing... :)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Its more likely that if the dollar continues its downward spiral, Lotus will pull out of the USA market, not that they'll raise prices too high, since they can't really do much about the exchange rates, a lot of europe is flourishing, UK too, so they'd be doing better over there anyway. I'd imagine they'll have to adjust them somewhat, its just not a high profit car for them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
...and the dopey politicians on both sides of the isle just want to keep printing more money...:no:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If Europe and the UK are flourishing, I am sure Lotus will allocate extra cars to that market making less available for the US market.

Not sure the prices will change too much, but if you compare Early 2005 prices to 2008, they have slowly been on the rise....

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Pshaw! Perfomance and style is fine, but this'n here Elise won't tow a horse trailer! It won't transport a pack of screaming, puking, dribbling toddlers to Chuckie Cheese for a pizza party. It can't pick up the entire filthy junior soccer team to drive them home.:huh:

Wait a minute. This is WHY I bought this car for. To ESCAPE this insanity!:coolnana:

YAY! :clap:

--Hal

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I may have mentioned this before but Lotus could help offset the effects of a recession but partnering with a lender like GE Capital to offer low interest. That way, you don't necesarily need to discount the price of the car and the customer gets a lower payment. It may also be an incentive to finance (even for a very short term) instead of paying cash. Alternatively, a factor offerred leasing program would also help since the Elise and Exige are report to have high sale values.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I may have mentioned this before but Lotus could help offset the effects of a recession but partnering with a lender like GE Capital to offer low interest. That way, you don't necesarily need to discount the price of the car and the customer gets a lower payment. It may also be an incentive to finance (even for a very short term) instead of paying cash. Alternatively, a factor offerred leasing program would also help since the Elise and Exige are report to have high sale values.
the ineterest rates arent all that high to begin with, but any little bit helps.

i think it would be very detrimental for lotus to raise prices. imo, its already a pricey little car. i dont want to start a debate on performance per dollar, but looking at the exige 240, 70k is a lot of beans for a little car with a 1.8 toyota engine. huffed or not.
what isnt my opinion but probably grim reality is that raising prices will shrink lotus' target market down even smaller. there just arent enough of the die hards who "have to have it to auto x."
at 70k plus, i have to think many folks start looking at cayman s' and putting r compounds on them.

im also not so sure abt lotus' profit margin being so small. they have several slightly different cars all using basically the same chassis, engine, interior, etc...so i think as time goes on whatever their profit margin is will grow.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
The Krauts are always on top of things!

Seriously, couldn't Lotus "hedge" the currency? Honestly, I'm never really understood how that worked but I've heard other companies like Porsche doing something similar.
Apparent that Lotus is'nt the best run company around. As for this being a "good thing for the brand"...no way. The coming recession will kick the crap out of the toy sales.

:(

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
...The coming recession will kick the crap out of the toy sales.
:(

Hmmm... making the Elise even more rare as time passes...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
the ineterest rates arent all that high to begin with, but any little bit helps.
And there is the fundamental problem right there. Stock market is slowing down? Let's lower the interest rate! (by printing more money)

Let's just keep making that bubble bigger...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
06 exige's are going for $80K, how much higher can they possibly go.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
As much as I'd like to get into a new Lotus, possibly an '09 Exige S 255 (if that's the case), they'll prob start hitting 75k-80k at the rate they're going.

Makes my '06 that I paid less than 60k for, and owe less than 30k on seem like a bargain.

Lets see... pay off my '06 for 30k, or buy a new one for 80k? Makes it easier to appreciate my N/A Exige... Happy I got in early.
Cheers,
Skottoman

1 - 20 of 81 Posts