The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All:
I just got off the phone with Doug of Newport European, and he informs me that the estimate is for my car to arrive this late November. Knowing how long it takes for Lotus to make the car, have it ship over here, to the west coast, and to the dealership, I'd imagine that they should be building it as we speak.
Doug had no build date, vin number, or anything for me, and only mentioned that at this rate they are receiving about five cars each time. There was no clarification as to whether this was a monthly bunch or not.
For those in the know, procedurally what comes first? I've read some discrepancies and different inputs in some of the threads. Is it that Lotus allocates a build date first, and then upon completion they slap a vin number on it? Or is it the other way around? Is there any other number I need to be aware of? This is all in my effort to verify what I hear from the dealership.
- dechien

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yes.

Lotus allocated a build date. They know that Joe Schmoe's car is going to be built on November 8. When the car is completed or nearing completion, it has a VIN assigned.

If a car is scheduled to arrive on the West coast late November, I expect it will have to be built by mid October or earlier, which means it would start production now...or already be in production.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Yes.

Lotus allocated a build date. They know that Joe Schmoe's car is going to be built on November 8. When the car is completed or nearing completion, it has a VIN assigned.

If a car is scheduled to arrive on the West coast late November, I expect it will have to be built by mid October or earlier, which means it would start production now...or already be in production.
Randy: Make sure to remind him that Saffron cars are always
given 'top priority' over all other colors.:cool:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I was given a build date, and I'm told that I will get some kind of order number when I am sent confirmation of my order (I mailed the second deposit last week). He said that he'd get in touch with me again when my car is built to give me a VIN number and a good idea of exactly when the car is to arrive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Newport Euopean

I called NE last week and was told that my car was coming at the end of the month (a ship is supposed to arrive on October 23-25.)
I asked about Vin # and Steve seemed unacquainted with this part of the procedure. No one has ever asked for a second deposit. I hope that I am getting accurate information and not a runaround, which is the reason for inquiring about the November delivery date that has been reported. Please advise whether you are in the top 25 on the list at NE.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
AutoEurope in Michigan asks for an additional deposit when you place your order with Lotus. This deposit (plus your initial deposit) then becomes non-refundable. I'm locked in (which is almost a relief...).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Even before a VIN number is assigned a build number is assigned, it is a 5 digit number that is used during production. Every car going through build has the build number on it. Once you car is scheduled for production your dealer will have the build number.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Newport European

Dear All:
Thanks for the input. I am now officially doubting the representation that my car will be delivered this November. I have no numbers of any kind, build date, vin number or otherwise.
GJPBSP, I placed my deposit with NE October of 2003. When I was asked to fax in my specs March of 2004, I was given the number 29. When I spoke to Doug a few weeks ago, he told me that 9 cars have been delivered, and that two were due to arrive at any moment. He also mentioned the interesting fact that I was about 13 down on the list. I was unable to confirm whether I was 13 down from 9 or 11. Either way, it would put me within that first 25 allocation. I suspect that some of the people have dropped off the list somehow?
What number were you given? It sounds like you are far ahead of where I am, having been given an arrival date in October. Let me know, and let's try to keep everyone posted.
Regards,
- Daniel

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been told that my Elise will be built in October so I am hoping for a December delivery. We shall see...

I am in the mid 20's so it appears that my dealer has a larger allocation...(Maplecrest)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dechien,

I was told and have seen the spiral notebook that listed me as #16 when I presented my deposit in August 2003. I hope that this helps, and I sure would like to have access to information regarding delivery dates and such without having to feel like I am imposing by calling the dealer. I also am uncomfortable with the mystery in all of this. One would think that there would be a central computer that could be accessed by the dealer or by the customer or both that would indicate the simple answer to the question... When am I getting my car? Your suggestion that you will try to assemble information that will assist in understanding the answer to this question is encouraging.

·
Registered
724 Posts
im more confused than ever and for me thats saying somthing. i just got off phone with behlmans and they got info on my car verified everything and told me they had a VIN #. the thing is they only have the last 5 digits so is it the vin # or the build # because they havnt built it yet-but im still supposed to get it in about 5 weeks. does any of this make any sense to anyone? oh by the way the # is 30818. can i see the light at the end of the tunnel or is it a train?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gjpbsp:

When I ordered my last vehicle, I understood the basic transaction to be : 1. Place deposit 2. Order car 3. Pay money 4. drive off in new car. This whole Lotus purchase experience has taught me a great deal about myself, and specifically my interest in the Elise.

If Lotus had sustained specific problems or set backs, I will fully understand. I find it most disturbing and insulting in that someone affiliated with Lotus (manufacturer or the dealerships) unilaterally decided that I either should not or could not understand what's going on.

Given that the sources cannot or will not let us know what's going on, one must conclude that something has gone awry. It's pointless to speculate as to what this may be.

Your #16 with an October arrival date is great news, despite how that necessarily casts great doubt on my #20+ arriving in November. I think there are many others on this board that are ahead of me as well. Maybe we should start a new thread: Newport European Watch, who's driving and who's waiting?

Don't lose faith. Do what I do. Test drive other cars to remind yourself that the Elise is what you really want. And remember that you can ALWAYS get that other car.

- dechien

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
dechien, your post looks exactly like one of the many I have written myself. The whole process is totally horked, and I'm experiencing a wide dynamic range of emotions I never associated with car buying. :)

The endless confusion and conflicting information regarding the purchase process and schedule details appear to be endemic to most of the Lotus network, but uniquely concentrated in Desert and Newport European.

Latest word I heard regarding DE was #14 in early November. I don't know how the NE and DE lists compare, but so far their processes have been similar.

Hogfan: The number you received looks like a VIN number to me.. the last five digits of every US VIN so far has been "30xxx". What I found interesting is that you received this number and they called it a "order number", which has a different format and sequence. My dealer did the samething -- sent me 30xxx and said it was the order number. I suspect the dealer doesn't really make the distinction, so long as they have an ID.

A VIN number of 30818 would be the highest heard so far. One post last week said the factory has built 550 cars for the US by mid-September. There are about 150 cars "in transit", which agrees with most reported delivered VIN numbers around 350-400 lately.

Supposedly my VIN is in the mid 600's and due around early November.

None of this agrees with the info from Clyde at LOG who said the VIN is first communicated to the dealer when the car is loaded into the ship, built. The dealer will certainly know the VIN when they are invoiced as the car leaves port/prep. Whether they know it sooner, I don't know.

Randy believes the VIN is not assigned until the car is finished being built, but Lotus could choose one sooner and even tell the dealer sooner.

Your 818 number is really a puzzle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hogfan,

What # wre you on Belhmann' list. I am #16 and have just been told my car is scheduled to be the second build car for Behlmann in November, with an expected delivery of 6 weeks after that. How does this information jive with what you have been told?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ralbertina said:
Hogfan,

What # wre you on Belhmann' list. I am #16 and have just been told my car is scheduled to be the second build car for Behlmann in November, with an expected delivery of 6 weeks after that. How does this information jive with what you have been told?
ever since placing my order at behlmans i was told i was #11 however when i contacted them in sept my # was 13 i dont know how i moved back 2 spots but was still told i would get car in oct. however today i called them and thats when i was told they had my vin# and it should be about 5 more weeks. they have also told me they should get 5 per month after their 1st 10 cars arrive (july thru oct) so i guess that could work i get my car with the 1st 5 cars in their 5 per month allotment and you would get yours in the second 5 which would be 1 month after mine. but no one should have to sit around and try to figure this out!!!! ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the numbers hogfan. That makes my #26 at Behlmann about February. Probably right, just because it's the latest estimate so far!:(

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Paul said:
Thanks for the numbers hogfan. That makes my #26 at Behlmann about February. Probably right, just because it's the latest estimate so far!:(
Always allow 'at least' another month for zig-zagging the ship may have to do in order to avoid old U-Boats that are 'definately' in the hands of terrorists by now. Remember, anything flowing out of England to U.S. is 'tops' on their list.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Always allow 'at least' another month for zig-zagging the ship may have to do in order to avoid old U-Boats that are 'definately' in the hands of terrorists by now. Remember, anything flowing out of England to U.S. is 'tops' on their list.
LOL not to mention the hurricanes :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
And St. Louis does get blizzards. I think it was "72", I came thru headed for Bellville for Christmas and was greeted by 11" of snow. Took 3 hours to cross the Veterans bridge. Good fun!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts