The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Lotus Cars USA has announced a recall that affects 860 vehicles which have been fit with a faulty oil cooler hose.

The 2008 to 2011 Elise and Exige along with the 2011 Evora are being called back in because the oil cooler hose may detach, causing oil to spray all over the tires and or the engine compartment. This increases the risk of a collision due to slick tires and it increase the odds of a fire if the oil hits any hot components.

The oil cooler hose assembly will be replace on the Evore while the oil cooler hose fittings will be replaced on the Elise and Exige. Lotus has not yet provided a schedule for the recall.

This isn’t the first time Lotus has recalled these cars for oil leak issues.
For all the details about Lotus Recalling 860 Cars for Oil Leaks visit AutoGuide.com.

·
not your dad's puns
1,765 Posts
Wow. So I guess this is part 2 of the original oil recall campaign, or a totally new one?

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
wait...what? this is a recall on the recall for the Elise/Exige? I just literally had mine done a few days ago.

Oh nevermind. This includes ALL elise and exiges ever made. It was cutoff originally to the early MY07 cars. Now it's been extended to all MYs.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
surprised to see the Evora on the list now... (not so much the remainder of the Elige since they 'looked' to be of the same components)

Lotus had to of known about this issue prior to that car ever hitting the roads... wtf were they thinking?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
surprised to see the Evora on the list now... (not so much the remainder of the Elige since they 'looked' to be of the same components)

Lotus had to of known about this issue prior to that car ever hitting the roads... wtf were they thinking?

Probably wasn't thinking.

·
Registered
829 Posts
This is the third (or maybe fourth?) recall for the same thing, they just keep extending the recall forward to include more (later build) cars. The last recall (preceding this one) was back in Feb. 2013, and included MY '07 and some early build '08 Eliges (including my '08 Exige S240).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they delayed the recall as to not overload the dealers with claims. Probably figured the newer cars will have their lines let go later than the older cars...

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,610 Posts
Not gonna lie. Trying not to feel smug knowing it's been done on mine!:cool:

I got two new oil coolers and a ProRad radiator with puller fans and 170F thermostat in that visit!

Wish I would have waited on the thermostat and saved the cash, but at the time I still had the IRRATIONAL FEAR of taking off my clam... silly child I was then playing with butterflies and every once and awhile finding a pretty flower :sheep:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
jesus. Not again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Had my 11 Evora S done this past spring.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Isn't this a new problem, different from the 2 previous recalls for Evora oil line issues? Reading the NHTSA site, it seems like the fittings on the oil cooler hose are faulty this time. Last time, the hose was rubbing on something. (The first time involved the oil feed hose.) :crazyeyes

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

·
Registered
676 Posts
no one wants to be the next GM

·
Registered
172 Posts
I never got the recall mail. Who can I call ? Mine is a 05 Elise

·
Registered
479 Posts
What the hell. I just took the clam off last weekend to do this. The car is in pieces in my garage.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,935 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Taking the clam off is really easy. Just take your time first go and get help lifting it off. Also, put masking tape on the overlap areas near the door jam.

And screw the OEM lines, get Sector111's kit and never deal with this BS again. If anyone in the NH/MA area needs help hit me up :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Has anyone with an '08+ Elise or Exige done a comparison to the pre and post-recall '05-'07 fittings?

It sounds like they changed something in '08 that they thought fixed the issue but turned out to fail again. That it carries all the way through to the first Evora is a bit worrying... I wonder if there's any implication for the '05-'07 recall kits that were installed on most of our cars.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts