The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to put together a database of all the lotus in the US?

This was done for defenders.

http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Defender/index.html

I think it would be interesting if someone has the resources to make it happen.

PS this is just my selfish attempt to have someone try to figure out how many autumn gold and other weird colors were made.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are nominated to compile it.

I will kick in $25 for the carfax subscription.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
That would be some list if you are counting "all" lotus cars.
Don't forget that some individuals, (museum collections excluded), have more than one car.
Is that what you are looking for or just the Elise/Exige derivatives?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All lotus elise, exige, exige S registered in the US or canada. Should be about, what 5000 or so.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Good luck with this, more power to you.

Years ago somebody tried to create (did create actually) a Lotus Esprit registry. Never was complete or caught up.

Remember, it's probably safe to say that fewer than half Elise/Exige owners even know this current site exists, or if they do, visit regularly, let alone post.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What we need to do is get all of the VINs and put those in a database. Take a look at the defender one linked above.

·
Registered
803 Posts
As mentioned above, there's an older one at sandsmuseum.

Display:
http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/registry/displayall.php

Add:
http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/registry/add.html

The registry in general:
http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/registry/

Believe it could use some updating to allow for changes over the years to the options. For example the Type72D pack, SC option, etc.... Not sure he's been maintaining it lately.
I was thinking about updating the registry. Since I have an Exige now, it is time to update the registry to allow for them as well.

There are problems. It is almost impossible to keep track of colors, running modifications that happen anytime, and options. It is a bit easier to track various models.

First, I am happy to transfer the registry to the next person in line. I was not the first and will certainly not be the last. The current registry uses PHP and MySQL.

Assuming no one steps up, I am happy to make another round of changes and let it run another year. I need to know what people want changed and what information is really needed. For example, I doubt you all care when the texture for the gas door changed from straight to circular, yet this level of detail was there originally.

Finally, a registry is only as good as the entries members take the time to add. There is no way Lotus will provide all the VIN numbers for all the cars imported. We only get the VINs of those cars entered by individuals.

I was excited about the registry at the start. We could see changes Lotus was making as they made them, middle of the model year. Upon reflection, I now really do not care when that small detail change was made. I think the registry has more power as a way for people with like cars to contact each other. However there were concerns about privacy and the email addresses are hidden, as is the real VIN. It might be fun to make the email visible and allow more information about the changes an individual is making to their car. Pictures are there but not everyone takes advantage.

Finally the search could certainly be improved. What information do you want to get out of the registry?

I will be ready to make changes in a couple of weeks. Let me know, here or privately (see my website for email address)

Michael

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"We only get the VINs of those cars entered by individuals."

Are they not sequential?

I want something just like the defender one, if at all possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts