The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hope its ok to post this in this section. it was an article about the Evora, but it was questioning the reliability of Lotus cars in general. so here goes.

there was an article about the new Lotus Evora in the latest Automobile magazine. it made a comment that basically said Lotus reliability has always been questionable, or something along those lines. it was obviously referring to all of the Lotus cars.

how do you posters react to this?

Mike

·
Registered
217 Posts
i hope its ok to post this in this section. it was an article about the Evora, but it was questioning the reliability of Lotus cars in general. so here goes.

there was an article about the new Lotus Evora in the latest Automobile magazine. it made a comment that basically said Lotus reliability has always been questionable, or something along those lines. it was obviously referring to all of the Lotus cars.

how do you posters react to this?

Mike

Did you ever go to an auto parts/tire store/battery store and ask for something that will fit your Lotus? Did you ever hear from the "expert" behind the counter somthing like this:

EXPERT: "You want a xxxx for a Lotus?....Who makes Lotus?...Are you sure it's a Lotus?
ME: /cry.

Now, apply same formula to the auto writing industry. Lot's of boobs, idiots, ill-informed morons who read something back i the 70's and apply it to the here and now BTW, Jaguar has the TOP reliability rating now of any makers in its class. JAGUAR! Wow!:nanner:

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
The reason you see so few Lotuses on the road these days is because fully 95% of them burst into flames and explode within three weeks of being built. My own car has exploded three times. The first time, I was unaware of what was happening and I was killed by the blast. The second and third time it exploded, I was able to get away in time.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Now, apply same formula to the auto writing industry. Lot's of boobs, idiots, ill-informed morons who read something back i the 70's and apply it to the here and now
You mean just like many people on internet forums? :rolleyes:

the article jokingly mentions the "Lotus marques historic propensity for sketchy reliability", and that is a true statement, and while the Elise may not leave you stranded, parts do tend to fall off it

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
The reason you see so few Lotuses on the road these days is because fully 95% of them burst into flames and explode within three weeks of being built. My own car has exploded three times. The first time, I was unaware of what was happening and I was killed by the blast. The second and third time it exploded, I was able to get away in time.
It's true. I was there. Saw 'em all. Here's the proof.

crash.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

107-0779_IMG.JPG

about_elise_3_pic1.jpg

Elise at the fire pit.jpg

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Honestly, I think that at least with the Elise, the reliability is relative. Think about how much handling and performance you are getting for the money. So far, my car has been pretty good, mainly requiring preventative maintaince.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've been on my 15th Lotus. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease don't ever buy a Lotus. I never ever learn. As they say Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
My Elise has been just as reliable as my Honda Civic, so I don't much care what a magazine says.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Plus the fire! You fixed that yourself? Wow! You're like, amazing! :)

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Mine... has not. Multiple warranty repairs plus more than a handful of things I fixed myself.
That stinks... sorry to hear it. How late of a build is your car? You have a 2005, right?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
That stinks... sorry to hear it. How late of a build is your car? You have a 2005, right?
It's a build date of 11/2004. Now I don't want to sound too negative. I still love the car. But it has had some issues. I got caught by the bad rack problem twice, the HVAC control unit had a freakout, the battery cracked, the soft top came apart, it stalled a bunch the first few months, the right two coils arced themselves into oblivion and the brake lights didn't work upon delivery. The rest has just been minor stuff, like tweaking the window alignment and such.

The worst is that the clutch has never been quite right. And the local service department, while great about everything else, bandaided it then stalled and stalled me until the warranty ran out.

Although it's annoying me now as at about 3500-4000 RPMs it sounds like someone cutting sheet metal with a circular saw. The heat shielding is loose somewhere but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It's a build date of 11/2004. Now I don't want to sound too negative. I still love the car. But it has had some issues. I got caught by the bad rack problem twice, the HVAC control unit had a freakout, the battery cracked, the soft top came apart, it stalled a bunch the first few months, the right two coils arced themselves into oblivion and the brake lights didn't work upon delivery. The rest has just been minor stuff, like tweaking the window alignment and such.

The worst is that the clutch has never been quite right. And the local service department, while great about everything else, bandaided it then stalled and stalled me until the warranty ran out.

Although it's annoying me now as at about 3500-4000 RPMs it sounds like someone cutting sheet metal with a circular saw. The heat shielding is loose somewhere but I haven't been able to track it down yet.
Wow, that doesn't sound too good at all. Wasn't there a theory floating around about how later-build 2005s used outside contracted help for assembly?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts