The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen their name yet but sounds like Renault about to buy the Lotus F1 team.

Renault set to complete Lotus takeover next week

Sounds imminent so the race this weekend may be interesting since the car seems to finally be getting competitive. At least they have a shot now.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
So, will it be a Lotus-Renault with a Mercedes Benz - AMG engine?
1st thing I thought of, and funny.

Sunbeam Tiger had the Ford V8. Ford provided the usual short warranty on their cars and engines.

But, at that time Sunbeam was part of Roots(?), owned by Chrysler...which had a 5 yr warranty on engines.

So, Chrysler had to warranty the Ford engines for longer than Ford did.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
So, will it be a Lotus-Renault with a Mercedes Benz - AMG engine?
1st thing I thought of, and funny.

Sunbeam Tiger had the Ford V8. Ford provided the usual short warranty on their cars and engines.

But, at that time Sunbeam was part of Roots(?), owned by Chrysler...which had a 5 yr warranty on engines.

So, Chrysler had to warranty the Ford engines for longer than Ford did.
Also not unlike BMW Sauber with Ferrari engine in 2010. BMW unloaded the team back to Sauber at the end of 2009. :facepalm

Renault unloaded the team to Genii to be engine supplier only in 2009 since the world economy took a major dump. Bahar paid the team $$$ to become a title sponsor. With Bahar out and money run out, the team kept the name (probably due to concorde agreement and the politics involved). Now, Renault will probably be buying the same team at heavily discounted prices. The team would've been bankrupt if it weren't the freak/well-played 3rd place finish at Spa.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
There's actually a bit more to it too.

Somewhere around the Dany fiasco where his money was running out and Reanult wanted out and Genii didn't have a ton of cash, the Lotus sponsorship was turned into a loan from DRB for something like $30m and if Genii defaulted they were to get the team. I don't remember much more and typical of F1, details were hard to come by but I'm sure if any of this is in place we hopefully will see the Lotus name still in F1 until at least 2017 when at whole circus was to renew. I'm kinda thinking there's something to it and that's why Renault isn't looking to take the whole thing.

Of it works out that the Lotus name stays and it becomes the 'works' Renault team then I think it's only a good thing and there's a good future ahead of them

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look like this is now nearly done. Still foggy on what the team will actually be called.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts
Interesting things are to come, but if the Lotus name gets dropped from F1 it will be a sad day, as they have brought whole slew of new fans to the F1 series races. :sad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts