The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you’re on LinkedIn see if you can connect with, or at least follow Morris Dowton and/or Roger Putnam, Lotus royalty from the hey days of Lotus.

Morris was production manager during the later Elan, Europa, G Body Esprit, Eclat years. He frequently posts photos from the era, in which he appears with Chapman, Andretti and others.

Roger was in sales at a major dealership, and later an engineer. This week he posted pics of him driving his first Lotus company car: the Prisoner 7. Not a 7 that looked like it. It was THE Prisoner 7. He also had pics of him driving THE Emma Peele Elan. In the rain. With the top down.

Both share amazing stories from back in the day. About Chapman. The cars. The racing.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

L to R: Mike Kimberly, former Lotus CEO and designer of the Europa Twin Cam; Andretti; Elio DeAngelis; Putnam. The Essex Esprit was Putnam’s, and Andretti insisted on driving it when visiting Hethel because he knew it would be properly sorted.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Awesome. Sadly this is what current ownership/management is distancing the company from with their all-EV "global brand" (aka mass appeal) approach going forward. 🙁

Reactions: Verichai

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Survival requires change. In the year 2022, most folks want a car that starts every time they request it to.
Safety regs are the biggest drivers of increased size etc..If you don't follow the law, you don't survive.I am pretty certain if you put a current Evora on a track and ran it 8hrs straight it would survive in stock form. I strongly doubt any Esprit would survive for 8 hrs non-stop. PROGRESS!
Wonder if this is the same feeling over at the P world with the release of the new Cayman in the future?? Not saying I love it, but I am saying I am willing to experience it.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
I wasn't really referring to the cars themselves so much, or critiquing Lotus' incorporation of modern technology/reliability. Personally I would have been thrilled with updating the Esprit design to something like the circa 2010 prototype, especially if it had a new Lotus designed V8 as was planned. Too bad the management/finance side back then couldn't make it happen. Seems like the design engineers did their part admirably.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Was referring more to the heritage/legacy where the Lotus you bought for the street had at least some degree of traceability/lineage back to their past or present race cars with their iconic drivers, mechanics, and team members. On the current (no pun 😖) all-EV path that link, if it exists, will be primarily Formula E, which for me doesn't count for much.
Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting White Automotive design

1 - 4 of 4 Posts