The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally took the plunge. '07 exige S. would like to just go get it and drive it home, but 1,200 miles away, and just don't have the time. so, any recommendations on auto shipping companies? to ship 'open' requires 4" of ground clearance - and I know these things have pretty delicate under-bellys. have looked around and not really found any info on ground clearance - but suspect it's probably in that range. any suggestions / recommendations appreciated.

thanx !

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
From where to where. There are lots of people going different places...that could use a 1 way ride for multiple reasons.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
finally took the plunge. '07 exige S. would like to just go get it and drive it home, but 1,200 miles away, and just don't have the time. so, any recommendations on auto shipping companies? to ship 'open' requires 4" of ground clearance - and I know these things have pretty delicate under-bellys. have looked around and not really found any info on ground clearance - but suspect it's probably in that range. any suggestions / recommendations appreciated.

thanx !
Do yourself a favor and just say NO to open shipping.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I'll drive it for you... 25 cents/mile + expenses ;)

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

thanx !
I took delivery of my 07 Exige S a few weeks ago.

I had it shipped from Michigan to CA (2300 miles) using "Reliable Carriers, Inc.". Reliable Carriers was recommended by Auto Europe, a Michigan Lotus dealer that estimated it used Reliable over 200 times (without incident).

Reliable ships via closed carrier and does not use traditional "ramps" to load the cars. The rear door of the truck opens flat to the ground. Just drive onto the now lowered door and it is raised to the level of the carrier. From there, the car drives straight onto the truck. No issues with the front splitter being damaged on the ramp. Additionally, the car was wrapped in light plastic (like saran wrap). The truck driver cared for my car like it was his own.

Without question, I would use them again to ship a car. They are probably a little more expensive than other shippers, but worth it. They ship all over the country. Their Michigan office number is 734-453-6677.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just say NO to open shipping.
+1 -- don't even consider open shipping if you want to see a clean, undamaged car show up at your destination.

·
Registered
217 Posts
finally took the plunge. '07 exige S.
Don't mean to take your thread on a tangent, but was this a used '07 Exige S or a NOS '07 from a dealer? I'm also looking for an '07 Exige S and would appreciate it if you could PM me the price you paid and which options the car had (if you don't mind sharing that information).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
going from SD to TX. sounds like enclosed is the way to go. thanx for the suggestions & links. '07 phantom black. touring, track, TC, LSD, SS. 1800 mi. $45.5k.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts