The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LCS is tossing around the idea of a Lotus Spec race car. I think it's a great idea, but I'd like this thread to be a depository for ideas on what the ideal Lotus Spec race car should be.

IMO it should be everything a Lotus can be as a track-only car without creating a black hole in our financial universe. I'd say $40-50k worth of car all in.

That said I think it should be a lot like my car (rotfl) - seriously:

Naturally aspirated Elise or Exige
Remove side screens
Fuel cell
Rollcage SCCA legal
Racing seat and 5-6 pt harness
Central extinguisher system
hardtop bolted on
Spec shocks/springs (something high spec - not track pack)
Spec tires (R888 IMO) in LSS sizes on LSS wheels OEM
Stock engine with header, valve springs optional, decat optional, any muffler, Cup air box
Stock ECU with spec tune for 100 oct fuel optional switch for 91 oct
spec diffuser - extended for race use like Innovative Mounts'
spec rear wing - adjustable - APR CF
spec front splitter - something useful, not the Exige OEM
Spec weight min 2140 lbs w/ full tank of gas and driver
Airbag switch or remove airbags
All else to be stock

Note that this spec creates a very capable track car that can likely hold it's own against Exige S track cars too, but still allows cars to be street registered for driving to the track which I think is important at this stage of the game.

·
Registered
330 Posts
add Center net, LH side net, steering arms and swaybar.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Is the hardtop necessary? It is non-structural and a cage is already in the plan. Save $$ plus weight high up. :shrug:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Is the hardtop necessary? It is non-structural and a cage is already in the plan. Save $$ plus weight high up. :shrug:

Might you then run into issues with taller drivers needing taller roll bars to meet safety (clearance) specs?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Might you then run into issues with taller drivers needing taller roll bars to meet safety (clearance) specs?
The helmet should be within the cage whether or not there's plastic sheet over your head. A plastic hardtop should not get you a pass from the broomstick test. If anything, I'd think losing the hardtop would make it easier for taller drivers because you could raise the hoops up a bit on a custom cage.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
The helmet should be within the cage whether or not there's plastic sheet over your head.

Should ....but what do enclosed car rules say? My only experience is a long time ago with SCCA Formula Vee. If you have an enclosed car now, is there a broomstick test? What are your options if you don't pass it?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Should ....but what do enclosed car rules say? My only experience is a long time ago with SCCA Formula Vee. If you have an enclosed car now, is there a broomstick test? What are your options if you don't pass it?
I don't believe there is a broomstick test for enclosed cars. But do you want to formulate the spec as a loophole for taller drivers that sacrifices safety?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I don't believe there is a broomstick test for enclosed cars. But do you want to formulate the spec as a loophole for taller drivers that sacrifices safety?
No. :D

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Glen, it depends on how 'spec' you want to make it. For example, my spec racer ford class is as tight of a spec class as you can make it. The engine is sealed by SCCA enterprise. We all have the same shocks, and the engines are dyno'd at 105 HP within 1 or 2 HP below. No aero mods. Obviously, all same
headers,exhaust, etc.
There is more wiggle room for example in the spec miata class.

My vote would be for the spec lotus to be as tight as possible. This is the only way it will be truly mono é mono.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Glen, it depends on how 'spec' you want to make it. For example, my spec racer ford class is as tight of a spec class as you can make it. The engine is sealed by SCCA enterprise. We all have the same shocks, and the engines are dyno'd at 105 HP within 1 or 2 HP below. No aero mods. Obviously, all same
headers,exhaust, etc.
There is more wiggle room for example in the spec miata class.

My vote would be for the spec lotus to be as tight as possible. This is the only way it will be truly mono é mono.
Yeah, Spec Miata turned into an arms race with high-power 'crate' motors and such.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, Spec Miata turned into an arms race with high-power 'crate' motors and such.
You would mean to say Spec Similar Miata wouldn’t you? ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
What is the goal?

Before identifying the configuration of a spec Elise/Exige, perhaps it makes sense to define what the purpose of the series is. Are any of these goals in the mix:
  • Identify and cultivate new talent;
  • Broaden the appeal of Lotus;
  • Provide a cost effective, competitive series;
  • Invite arrive-&-drive businesses;
  • ???
Unfortunately, I don't see any of the above to be feasible for our cars/marque. When I think about the range of sedan-based spec series, I think BMW e30, Spec Miata, Ferrari Challenge. Each of those has a very targeted reason for existing. What is LCS?

Even though I doubt I would participate, I'd love to see this happen, especially if it became a support race for a bigger series.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Before identifying the configuration of a spec Elise/Exige, perhaps it makes sense to define what the purpose of the series is. Are any of these goals in the mix:
  • Identify and cultivate new talent;
  • Broaden the appeal of Lotus;
  • Provide a cost effective, competitive series;
  • Invite arrive-&-drive businesses;
  • ???
Unfortunately, I don't see any of the above to be feasible for our cars/marque. When I think about the range of sedan-based spec series, I think BMW e30, Spec Miata, Ferrari Challenge. Each of those has a very targeted reason for existing. What is LCS?

Even though I doubt I would participate, I'd love to see this happen, especially if it became a support race for a bigger series.

As a member of LCS, I can say that the series has already met the above goals. It has a ton of rising talent. The appeal is such that the events are all maxed out at around 25 cars. Its much cheaper than the Ferrari challenege. Some members do arrive and drive. The competition is excellent amongst all levels.

I think the purpose of a spec class is to tighten up the competition amongst the lotus drivers. In the demo races, the cars have all different mods from superchargers to gearing to tires.
If we all had spec'd cars, the winner would depend on the driving....we'd be better than F1, which clearly shows what a better 'car' can do!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
LCS is tossing around the idea of a Lotus Spec race car. I think it's a great idea, but I'd like this thread to be a depository for ideas on what the ideal Lotus Spec race car should be.

IMO it should be everything a Lotus can be as a track-only car without creating a black hole in our financial universe. I'd say $40-50k worth of car all in.

That said I think it should be a lot like my car (rotfl) - seriously:

Naturally aspirated Elise or Exige
Remove side screens
Fuel cell
Rollcage SCCA legal
Racing seat and 5-6 pt harness
Central extinguisher system
hardtop bolted on
Spec shocks/springs (something high spec - not track pack)
Spec tires (R888 IMO) in LSS sizes on LSS wheels OEM
Stock engine with header, valve springs optional, decat optional, any muffler, Cup air box
Stock ECU with spec tune for 100 oct fuel optional switch for 91 oct
spec diffuser - extended for race use like Innovative Mounts'
spec rear wing - adjustable - APR CF
spec front splitter - something useful, not the Exige OEM
Spec weight min 2140 lbs w/ full tank of gas and driver
Airbag switch or remove airbags
All else to be stock

Note that this spec creates a very capable track car that can likely hold it's own against Exige S track cars too, but still allows cars to be street registered for driving to the track which I think is important at this stage of the game.
Glen,
We are working with lotus to identify a strict criteria for the cars.As soon as we develop a list of approved parts we will advise everyone. I appreciate your efforts and LCS welcome everyones comments on what I feel will be a very popular class.
The goal is to keep the cars as stock as possible with the benefit of safety equipment, spec tires and brake up grades to handle the track.
With 05 elise selling for low to mid twenty's this would be an excellent way for people to enjoy the series without worry of being out done $$$.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts