The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

i went to the service shop (not the dealer) this morning for a noise coming from the engine. We found that the noise is coming from the snout of the Supercharger.

My mecano asked me to find an explode view of the supercharger/snout and a "how to" manual to change the coupler and bearings... He has a pretty good idea how it is and how to do, but want to be sure.

If anyone have a file, pdf, video, anything on this or maybe tell me where to find this, cause i already have a bunch of shop manual but i can't find this one... Your help would be much more than appreciated.

This is an Elise SC 2007.

BTW, does he need to remove the rear clamshell to do this??

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The supercharger is Eaton M45 Roots-type supercharger.

Can't find anything on this. There is a lot of video on youtube but almost all on the M90... Is it mechanically the same??

We assume the noise is coming from the coupler... But not 100% sure.

If anyone have information on the Eaton M45 Roots-type supercharger, that would be appreciated.

Elise 2007 Supercharged Snout - YouTube

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
As far as I know all of the Eaton M-series supercharger snouts are rebuilt the same way.

Although I don't think the bearings/seals/clips/etc are the same between the M45 and the M90.

FWIW there are repair shops that offer rebuilding services for the Eaton stuff. Such as:
Stiegemeier Supercharger Rebuilding and Repair Services

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible with this video to say if it is a bearing or a coupler problem or maybe the supercharger itself?
I know changing the coupler is easy, but the bearing is something else...

Does the "Eaton M45 roots-type supercharger" is the same as a standard M45? Not sure if "roots-type" means another kind of M45?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Is it possible with this video to say if it is a bearing or a coupler problem or maybe the supercharger itself?
I know changing the coupler is easy, but the bearing is something else...

Does the "Eaton M45 roots-type supercharger" is the same as a standard M45? Not sure if "roots-type" means another kind of M45?
Honestly I'm not sure based on the noise from the video.

But yes the m45 is a roots supercharger. So m45 and m45 roots-type supercharger are one and the same.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help...

Is there a better way i could record this and be sure the problem is in the snout and not in the supercharger itself?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did some test today, i'm certainly not a mechanical god but i do try to learn with this car...

I remove the belt and turned the supercharger pulley by hand. The pulley is tight and i can hear the sound of the rotor pack in the supercharger, that do not sound like a bearing or coupler problem, this is the exact same sound i saw in this video on youtube...

So, i'm not sure if it is normal or not... :confused::confused:

Also found out that the slave pulley is loosed, could this pulley be part of the noise i hear?

Best thing would be to hear another Elise Supercharged (stock) on idle, so i could compare. If anyone have a video of this, please let me know. BTW, i have the stage2 exhaust, but i don't think it change anything for this?:shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Any resolution to this noise as I have the same sound out of a VF1?

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Can you describe the sound because I can't tell in the video. I have something loose in the engine bay, but it sounds like loose change almost. I don't think it's the supercharger. I'm on stock boost and only 18k miles on my Exige S. Haven't checked the oil level or topped it off yet.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Can you describe the sound because I can't tell in the video. I have something loose in the engine bay, but it sounds like loose change almost. I don't think it's the supercharger. I'm on stock boost and only 18k miles on my Exige S. Haven't checked the oil level or topped it off yet.
This sounds like a pinging description of detonation...(I know old thread) but if it sounds like ball bearings rattling in a glass jar check your AFR/boost/timing (ECU).

Glad your SC is running well....my old 911 makes a click noise...my pro mech and myself have checked everything..car runs great/strong...been making that click for 37k miles now....

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
This sounds like a pinging description of detonation...(I know old thread) but if it sounds like ball bearings rattling in a glass jar check your AFR/boost/timing (ECU).

Glad your SC is running well....my old 911 makes a click noise...my pro mech and myself have checked everything..car runs great/strong...been making that click for 37k miles now....
I guess that's what sounds like. Only under low RPM, WOT. Usually when I'm in a high gear. Typically one would not drive that way 5th or 6th gear at 30mph.

The car is tuned but at low RPM WOT, the AFR will be about 15 anyway.

The same strangely enough a similar sound also emanates from somewhere above the passenger footwell just under the dash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts