The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any aspiring F-1 drivers out there? I was in England last week and stopped by Stratton Motor Company (a Lotus, Aston, Morgan dealer about 8 miles from the Lotus factory) and saw this car in the showroom. The Top Gear TV show did a spot on a car like this a while back, I think Jeremy was the one who got to drive and Jean Alesi was the pro but don't hold me to that. What an amazing vehicle. The suspension was a work of art. I didn't get any more details than what was on the price tag. Group buy to share driving time anyone? ha ha

Cheers,
Severin

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
:drool: Man, I would love to get ahold of that thing!:shift:

·
Registered
653 Posts
If I had million.. That's the price.. Roman would be out of a job by the end of the week.. Kimi and I would be drinkin buddies too

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
time to apply for a new auto loan.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Interesting that the Norwich, UK dealer is posting the price in $...

·
Registered
153 Posts
The rear pushrod appears to be a standard steel tube with that pretty aerodynamic carbon over it. Looks closely and you can see a weld at the powdercoated black part at the top jutting out of the carbon. I wonder if all the suspension is like that- alloy steel tube with carbon sheathing to make it pretty and aerodynamic yet still cheaper and not as fragile in off-track excursions as a full carbon suspension would be.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
The rear pushrod appears to be a standard steel tube with that pretty aerodynamic carbon over it. Looks closely and you can see a weld at the powdercoated black part at the top jutting out of the carbon. I wonder if all the suspension is like that- alloy steel tube with carbon sheathing to make it pretty and aerodynamic yet still cheaper and not as fragile in off-track excursions as a full carbon suspension would be.

Current F1 cars all have bonded titanium lugs in the ends of their carbon wishbones. That's how they make adjustments to the suspension. Carbon fiber composites by themselves are not great for abrasion resistance in moving joints.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh I know how current F1 push/pullrods are designed- I've desigend a few! (I used to work in F1).

But what I see here is not how we made pushrods. There is no inser that is bonded in. In my attached pic, the yellow line points to a split line and mismatch in the carbon weave- this is indicative of a non-structural part- most likely they make the wing shaped part and the end cap separate and bond them to the tube. That is the worst place to have a fiber discontinuity if this was a stressed carbon part.

And my red arrow points to a weld- looks like a steel tube end insert weld powdercoated black, with a gold jamnut on top of it- exactly how normal steel pushrods are made.

If it was a titanium insert (like I used in a design I did for a now defunct team that this current Lotus team has some of its roots in...) it would not be welded- the titanium is profile machined and usually necks up into a shape that allows a spherical carrier to be staked in.

I'm not saying this is car's design is bad or anything- it is perfectly awesome and carbon A-arm fairings are lightweight and have great potential for aero benefit especially at high speeds- they also probably use hte fairings to hide brake and sensor lines too. I just wanted to point out how this car is different from a real, current Formula 1 car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
IIRC it is noticeably slower too. Still bonkers fast, but just not the same power or insane aero that a real car produces

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't get how people can still be fauning over this, it's not a Lotus apart from the badge (sound familiar?)

You might want to lookup Elan technologies And their DP09 superleague car, wee bit of re-styling, jobs a carrot.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Having been in a number of high G force cars on the track all I can tell you is most people couldn't handle the G forces for more than a couple of laps. If your not in great physical condition, it doesn't matter how much money you have, you can't drive the car.....especially an F1 car. Just sayin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts