The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
John Henry Dale here, aka Dalotus on the LT forum. I don't yet own a Lotus but am VERY actively pondering the purchase of a 2020 or 2021 Evora GT. The one hitch keeping me from pulling the trigger right now is knowing with 100% certainty whether or not Lotus will bring the long-rumored Evora GT roadster to the USA. There was obviously lots of discussion of this circa 2015-2017 both on forums and in magazines and blogs, and I talked with my local Lotus dealer here in Miami who seems to think it won't happen. But I haven't seen official word from Lotus HQ via Gales or now CEO, Phil Popham. Does anyone here have any reliable, official word from Hethel that the Evora Roadster is not happening? It seems like such an obvious move and one that I imagine would help do perhaps double the sales volume of Evora GTs in the US. So what's the official word here?
Thanks!
JHD

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Structurally too much work.

·
Administrator
2,732 Posts
Welcome to LT! Looks like you'll becoming a Lotus owner one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They are absolutely not going to build an Evora roadster when a new sports car platform is on the horizon

Reactions: XHILR8N!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Too difficult, because as Lotus themselves have said many times over the past 10 years, the roadster structure was designed in from the beginning.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies, all, very much appreciated!

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
The Evora is done, unless they can come up with a new stripe or such. A great car, great experience, but has run its course. No telling what’s next.

Brings back when we were ardently awaiting the Evora, termed the Eagle before it was officially announced with the “True character” ad program. Arrived even better than we expected, maybe can happen again even with very different people developing it.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,032 Posts
Hopefully not blasphemy...but perhaps you should consider a Jaguar F-Type roadster?

Reactions: Hulgar1

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
Jag = weight. Anti Lotus

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Jag = weight. Anti Lotus
No doubt. I drove our Evora and an F Type back to back to back to back and came away very sure why Lotus suits my style. So much more free and easy.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully not blasphemy...but perhaps you should consider a Jaguar F-Type roadster?
I'd definitely consider the Project 7 if it were at the right price, and I do actually think the Jags are an attractive convertible with a nice exhaust note, but I do feel they're a bit too common for my taste. Part of my rationale for getting a Lotus, as I'm sure many people here share, is the uniqueness and ""boutiqueness" factor. But I do love the styling on the project 7 and you definitely don't see those on the road every day!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,032 Posts
P7s aren't worth the extra coin IMO.
Kinda like the World Challenge Esprits from the early '90s. They wanted a HEFTY premium for the "limited edition", and they sat and sat on dealer lots. They DO command a lot more than 'common' Esprits these days, though.

·
Registered
2006 Elise, Krypton Green with hard top and Touring Package..
32 Posts
I have the "British car disease" and own 4 ..... 2 of them are older Jaguar XKEs ('63 and '67). I love them for their styling and technology advancements compared to their peers of the day, The new Jags are just too heavy for me and the opposite of a Lotus. And, as a bonus my Elise and its Toyota engine are a relief in that it is nice to have it start every time. If I need parts, there is a chance they will be cheaper if it is one of the Toyota ones. Same for my MINI convertible. In the end, it depends on what one enjoys driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts