The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That is a good article and puts Lotus and Hyundai in a good light. Lotus need more of this kind of contract and exposure (most of the engineering consulting is never promoted by contract). The article almost made me want to buy a Genesis (almost).

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I still would never touch a Kia/Hyundai ... not sure if I like that "Lotus" and "Hyundai" are used in the same sentence...
Very ignorant.

·
Less is Better
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still would never touch a Kia/Hyundai ... not sure if I like that "Lotus" and "Hyundai" are used in the same sentence...
They're well built cars today, actually, with the industry's best warranty. I'd buy one tuned by Lotus before I'd buy a BMW or Mercedes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hyundai are not that bad if you need a good DD. Good compromise if you drive a lot to work and helps to have more $$ aside for a fun car in the garage for your weekend...Lotus could use such a partner so we can enjoy support long term for our cars.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Very ignorant.
Saying that's ignorant is the ignorant statement...

Sure, they may be better now than 10 years ago, but that's not saying a lot. They have very little faith in their product. IMHO, they have one of the worst warranties in the industry because its so deceptive.

Let's see... they advertise a 10yr/100k warranty, but the also have one of the most intensive maintenance schedules. The biggest issue for me is the fact that the warranty is only good for the original owner. Yes, if you sell your brand new Hyundai with only 1000 miles on it, the warranty is dropped to a 5yr/60k warranty. Statistically speaking, most people don't keep their new cars more than 5 years, so this is nothing other than a marketing scheme that, to me, shows a significant lack of faith in their own products. For that one reason alone, I would never own one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hyundai has come a long way and they keep moving in the right direction. Give them credit, where credit is due. They're offering great cars at great value.

It's hard to bounce back once your brand is tarnished. Didn't Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all had bad reputations at one point? Hyundai has definitely improved quality control and reliability. And correct if I'm wrong but hasn't Hyundai also expressed interest in Formula 1? Hyundai has the right mindset.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let's see... they advertise a 10yr/100k warranty, but the also have one of the most intensive maintenance schedules. The biggest issue for me is the fact that the warranty is only good for the original owner. Yes, if you sell your brand new Hyundai with only 1000 miles on it, the warranty is dropped to a 5yr/60k warranty. Statistically speaking, most people don't keep their new cars more than 5 years, so this is nothing other than a marketing scheme that, to me, shows a significant lack of faith in their own products. For that one reason alone, I would never own one.
That's very interesting; I didn't know that. Patting themselves on the back for the best warranty in the industry while imposing such a severe restriction against pre-owned buyers does seem a little too self serving.

I'll remember this next time I watch a Hyundai commercial.

To the issue of the article, I'm glad Lotus is getting some recognition for their consultancy expertise. I'll wager most car nuts don't know how much Lotus contributes to the car world beyond its own models. In fact, I wonder how cars in 2014 would handle and how racing would be different if Lotus and its innovations never existed!

-Jerry

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Saying that's ignorant is the ignorant statement...

Sure, they may be better now than 10 years ago, but that's not saying a lot. They have very little faith in their product. IMHO, they have one of the worst warranties in the industry because its so deceptive.

Have you owned one?No? Then you don't know what you're talking about. I've owned two 100K each and never required a repair of any kind. Best daily driver I've owned in terms of build quality, reliability, and utility.

You say you don't like Lotus and Hyundai in the same sentence, then base your claim on the warranty. What is Lotus' warranty? Oh, yeah. Hyundai's scaled back warranty on a second owner car is still better than Lotus' new car warranty.

An aside...Kia bought the tooling and rights to the Lotus M100 Élan and produced it for a few years.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Interesting media exposure. I'm not sure who will benefit the most from this.
Any press(if at all) is a good press for Lotus at this moment, especially if it's free.

On the other hand... Lotus had its hand in the development of the GT-R, but no one really talks about that one... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Can you elaborate? Didn't know that one!

-Jerry
According to quick googling...

NISSAN GT-R press information... said:
<Aerodynamics and Cooling Performance>

Working 2 years with Group Lotus in Europe to develop more efficiently, and 1.5 years with Yo****aka Suzuka in Japan for aerodynamic development using moving belt systems, the vehicle has successfully balanced low air-resistance (Cd:0.27) and greater downforce - something formerly believed to be impossible - to realize aerodynamic performance on a par with racing cars. Higher front and rear downforce gives the Nissan GT-R better grip, improves active safety performance, reduces air resistance (Cd:0.27) and raises fuel-efficiency.
NISSAN GT-R press information...

I think they may have done a tad more than aero for GTR, but can't find a credible source.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts