The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Lotus, This Is What Customers Want

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  emilgh 
#1 ·
The purpose of this thread to address important customer relations issues that Lotus needs to be aware of. The first concern for many here is that they do not have any official information on when our individual cars are expected to arrive. Lotus must have some idea of there build and delivery schedule. This information should be shared with the customers. A good example is Mini's Website where orders can be tracked. Information such as VINs would be very useful also.
Information on dealer installed options and pricing could readily be made available via the official US website.

Most here would agree that valid information from an official source would aid greatly in reducing the amount of rumors and speculation that currently proliferate the Internet.
Many Lotus customers frequent this website, so it would be in Lotus' interest to take note of what we, the customers think and what we expect from a car company.

To all others... Feel free to post your important customer relations concerns that you would like Lotus to be aware of.

#2 ·
Derek, thanks for starting this thread. I agree with you a 100%. More quantifiable facts would settle the rumors and speculations down. To me this is the Lotus website, there is NO other, simply because the Lotus corporate site while pretty to look at does not furnish any valuable info, such as stated above by Derek. Another issue I have is the way some customers have been treated at certain dealerships, in my case Symbolic of La Jolla. The service there is quite simply horrible! Now, I realize Lotus is not responsible for dealerships' service, but somehow this inferior service is reflective of the Lotus brand, unfortunately. I've heard good things about Lotus' service in the UK, I just believe we deserve the same.

Neil

#3 ·
Ideally, I'd love to see some documentation on build scheduling on the whole, and specifically when the car I ordered is being started, finished, and shipped.

A real bonus would be a photo build book of the car (for which I would be willing to pay obviously). If the book could be signed by those putting the car together that would be swell too.

I'm not too hung up about extra options, but I can see how other buyers would be chompinig at the bit to see them on paper.

#8 ·
Boy, can you just see all the dealers scrambling and sweating with the notion of there customers knowing the truth aboout their car and it's real delivery date! -eek- The creative excuses would be just great entertainment

#9 ·
1FASTMX5 said:
Boy, can you just see all the dealers scrambling and sweating with the notion of there customers knowing the truth aboout their car and it's real delivery date! -eek- The creative excuses would be just great entertainment
Yeah, we should start a thread "The sorriest as$ excuses from dealerships, on delivery dates."

Neil

#10 ·
They don't even have to get too specific, tracking your order ala Mini takes manpower which Lotus might not have, frankly I want their resources concentrated on building me my car :D
However, they do need a regular dissemenation of data, can we say coming Fall 2003? Regular updates, breaking news on their website wouldn't take much and would go a long way to stem rumors and bad feelings about the company.
A place to feed us simple updates such as:

Dateline Hethel: "The production of the first Fed Elise was started last saturday."
Dateline Hethel: "Lotus a hit at Alabama at the dealer outing."

Now how hard updating a ticker list like that would be?

#12 ·
I think at this point they know how in demand this car is and have no motivation to spend any time it these areas. It's just the nature of the beast when you are riding this high i guess. Ironically, what surprises me is after such dis-interest in the US Esprit market you would think they would revel and appreciate the new found customer interest and excitement for their product.

#13 ·
_JD_ said:

A real bonus would be a photo build book of the car (for which I would be willing to pay obviously). If the book could be signed by those putting the car together that would be swell too.

now, how cool would THAT be?

i'd definitely be willing to pay for something like this as well. It would be a very interesting piece to have on the coffee table. ;)

#14 ·
All I want and expect is for my dealer to keep me informed of whatever real, not speculative information they have - they've done that and I'm satisfied.

A build book for sale would be WONDERFUL.

Other than that, don't rush with MY car - maybe yours - but take your time Mr. Lotus, build it right not fast and we'll all be happy. In the mean time I'm a patient man - we've waited years for this car in America, a few more weeks/months will be worth the wait.

#15 ·
I can't say that I am dissapointed with Lotus. While a VIN tracker would be nice, I'd rather the focus be on manufacturing and logisitics. All I want is notification when my car ships so that I can move money to the right accounts. Even that isn't really neccessary. I know what month to expect my car (from my dealer) and can plan based on that.

Reminds me of a classic Ferrari story. In the early days the factory was offended if you were too picky about options. I remember one story about a woman who ordered a red MM with tan leather. She got a yellow one with green leather and race exhaust! Now that is bad service! Cool car though...

#16 ·
Wow.

I'm just going to chime in here with the perspective of the "way down on the list" people.

What we need is an accurate estimate from our dealership about the following:

- How many cars per month each dealer gets.
- When I will have to place my order.
- When my car starts production.
- When my car leaves the factory for the US.
- When my car will arrive.
- When I have to write a check for it.

The problem at this point, is that I can't tell if I'm 6, 10, or 16 months out. My dealer doesn't seem to know, or doesn't seem to be giving accurate information. This leaves me feeling like I'm never going to get the thing, at least not any time in the forseeable future. I'm contemplating putting down deposits at several other dealers, since its possible that their allocations are different and that I may be able to get a car sooner.

I also suspect that others have done the same thing, and Lotus should realize that this is going to be a *big* problem for them once the cars hit the shores, and "the masses" really start putting down their deposits.

Because they won't hand out accurate allocation information, it must be assumed that they don't know accurate demand inforamtion either, because the # of orders is no longer a good indicator.

Steve

#18 ·
I think we have to give LotusUSA a little more credit. They're a small establishment. 15-50 employees is what I got from the last Automotive News I read. Think about all the leg work that they have to do now to just get the cars here...

I'm sure we'll see them getting to this rumor-mill and discussion forum once they have a few spare cycles.

#19 ·
I would like some of these things but I doubt it is realistic for Lotus to provide Mini levels of service. I would bet Mini runs on an SAP system and they can track every car and part in the system. Lotus probably works with a much simpler IT system and cannot provide details without a person doing some work.

Of course, that does not stop them from releasing basic information like when Fed cars are shipping or when the Lotus store will open :D. It is obvious from this and other boards that the US market cannot get enough information on the car. I am sure the folks at Lotus USA are damn busy with a 25 fold volume increase on the way, a dealer launch and a move!!!!!

#20 ·
Maybe I am just a simple man (no comments from the peanut gallary on that one) but I just would like the know the month I should get it, and when it leaves the factory, I should have 2 weeks from there to get things in order
I think the options arent going to be available till later and I want my car as soon as possible so I can speed past unsuspecting motorists.
-Me

#21 ·
jdl,
Last time I was there (bout month ago) they had a total of around 10-12 employees. I know they plan to expand in the near future to handle the increase business. Clyde got a well - deserved promotion to in house sales director. Those who've been on the elise scene for a year or two know how much he's done to get info out there on the car. Unfortunately with all his increased responsibilities, he's a bit short of time to visit the boards.

slacy,

I think it's been mentioned, but I suspect it'll take some time to get up to full production speed. At that point they can give the dealers more accurate info about delivery times.

I don't know that they'll ever have a vin tracker, hell, I'll just be happy to have the car.
:clap: :clap:

Chris

#23 ·
My complaint so far with my dealership is this:
about a week after putting my order in I decided to change my color choice. I called the dealer and left a message with my salesman regarding the change. A week goes by and I haven't heard anything, so I call him and ask. He says that he forwarded the request to Clyde at LCU but hasn't heard anything back. So I call Clyde and leave him a message asking the status of the color change and weeks have gone by and he hasn't returned my call. So right now I don't know what color Elise I'm getting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.