The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In press release issued by Lotus Cars, the British exotic car maker takes issue with recent reports that a new Formula 1 team for 2010 will run under the banner of Team Lotus. The new team, however, says that's not the case.

U.K.-based Litespeed Racing has already secured a sport on the 2010 F1 lineup and decided to run under the Team Lotus name, with the permission of the name's rights-holder David Hunt.

When Lotus Cars Limited heard of this, it issued a release which clearly stated that, "Group Lotus plc will take all necessary steps to protect its name, reputation and brand image," a thinly veiled threat that the automaker will seek legal action if Litespeed continues with its plans.

That all seems straightforward enough, except this morning a report in AutoSport suggests information to the contrary. An unnamed source inside the newly formed Team Lotus said, "We've kept Lotus fully informed of our intentions and are well aware of the need to protect its brand image. We look forward to having closer ties with it in the future."

Is this all just a big misunderstanding, or is it possible that Lotus Cars has been made aware of Team Lotus' plans and is not amused?

More: Lotus Threatens Legal Action Against New Formula 1 Team Using Its Name on AutoGuide.com

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Dooooh!!

This would imply Lotus really do plan to return to F1. Otherwise, it would be free advertising for them regardless of the F1 teams success. One doesn't turn down free advertising unless one has "other plans".

The plot thickens.

Rob

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
THE DRAMA!
:rolleyes:
...seriously, i think this is all exaggeration for the sake of exciting stories - there's nothing whatsoever in group lotus' initial press release beyond standard trademark maintenance, and no reason to infer animosity between the two entities...

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
This is what's needed after reading all this crapola amigo!

THE DRAMA!
:rolleyes:
...seriously, i think this is all exaggeration for the sake of exciting stories - there's nothing whatsoever in group lotus' initial press release beyond standard trademark maintenance, and no reason to infer animosity between the two entities...
It is Friday after all. ;)

So good chilled.

:cool:

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Not anymore muchacho!

...meant to be had hot, though...
You may have missed the boat on this being in that azz-backwards Texas but cold sake has been de rigueur in California sushi bars for over 5 years now. ;)

Try some. Believe the World Market has a decent selection as they're California-based.

:p

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is just legal posturing.

Lotus has no intention of actually winning anything from team lotus. they just need to protect their trademarks, or anyone can use them.

So, it is a lawsuit that is all show. They probably warned team lotus it was coming, but they have to do it, and team lotus knows that.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Dooooh!!

This would imply Lotus really do plan to return to F1. Otherwise, it would be free advertising for them regardless of the F1 teams success. One doesn't turn down free advertising unless one has "other plans".

The plot thickens.

Rob
I do agree with you completely.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm told you drink good sake cold and crap sake hot :p
not always the case but a good general rule of thumb. but i'm more of a shochu (wheat on rocks) kinda guy. you're starting to find that at decent japanese restaurants now.

back on topic, regardless of who's doing what, it would be neat to see the lotus name back in F1, assuming there is such a thing next year :confused:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Dooooh!!

The plot thickens.

Rob
I disagree. Grid up a second rate F3 car vs. the top F1 teams and you're going to look BAD. Why would Lotus, who has an exemplary name in F1 suddenly want to be associated with being the worst of the manufacturer cars, especially with the launch of the Evora and new Esprit imminent?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
...well they certanly won't start winning in F1 since they won't be starting in F1 :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts