The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus Cars has notified US dealers that the current generation of 2ZZ-GE engined Exige and Elise will cease production this July on Model Year 11. There are to be 3 final Elise and Exige versions – “Final Editions” to be built between now and July 2011, for arrival in the US and Canada between June – August 2011. These are to be produced in strictly limited numbers as the supply of engines for production is approaching exhaustion. Interested customers need to reserve their cars NOW.
More info at: Lotus to cease production of 2ZZ-GE engined Elise/Exige Chapman Report Online

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I pointed this out in the threads from Abe featuring the "Final Editions," so that begs the question, will there be 2012 Elises/Exiges? If so, will they be refreshed versions of the current models with 4 or 6 cyl. engines? Or none until 2015? Seems unlikely they will move to 6's in 2012, as that would cut down on the wow factor of the new cars? Given Lotus' typical timing, the 2012's, if there are any, could be a full year away or even a little more.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I think they will be limping along with the various Evora versions until the Esprit hopefully arrives in 2013. Then they will definitely need a new platform soon after.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
wow so 4 more months then all we have is the evora.. i hope lotus has a plan to survive until the vaporware cars are actually brought here.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
wow so 4 more months then all we have is the evora.. i hope lotus has a plan to survive until the vaporware cars are actually brought here.
They do and it definitely revolves around the Evora and variations of it ;)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
lotus is going through a complete rebranding process, and--sadly-- they are getting rid of the elise and exige designs of the old Lotus. i spoke once to several key Lotus execs last year, including Lotus USA's kevin smith about this very issue.

What he told me was that they had bought up the remaining supply of 2ZZ's and would continue producing the cars until they run out of engines. When asked how long that would last, he said the estimate is "through 2011". After that, I'm told the designs will be discontinued, displaced by newer models.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
lotus is going through a complete rebranding process, and--sadly-- they are getting rid of the elise and exige designs of the old Lotus. i spoke once to several key Lotus execs last year, including Lotus USA's kevin smith about this very issue.

What he told me was that they had bought up the remaining supply of 2ZZ's and would continue producing the cars until they run out of engines. When asked how long that would last, he said the estimate is "through 2011". After that, I'm told the designs will be discontinued, displaced by newer models.
Correct with newer models meaning Evora variations then "new era" vehicles.

The Elise had 1, maybe 2 good years in the US for Lotus then after that it was down hill :(. I think the 260 Exige models were a bigger success for Lotus in the US than the 240 & 220 versions in terms of not sitting in dealers inventory long but fewer allocations will do that :eek:

·
Registered
143 Posts
FIL may, potentially, be able to gather some answers/information for us during the VIP tour coming up shortly (from Bahar and others).

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Hmm, so is this good or bad for current owners? There will be no new Elises/Exiges. If you want one, you will be buying from a current owner, so that may help prop up prices, as the only choice will be some variation of an Evora, with a presumably much higher price point. On the other hand, how many dealers will survive on only the Evora? Certainly no Lotus-only dealers (are there any left?), and some multi-brand dealerships may drop out, which is a problem for those who do not live in metropolitan areas. Mechanical parts should remain plentiful, but watch out for trim parts, I would think?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just got back in from the garage. My car is all wrapped up in the vacuum sealed capsule now. It has just become an icon. :bow:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Hmm, so is this good or bad for current owners? There will be no new Elises/Exiges. If you want one, you will be buying from a current owner, so that may help prop up prices, as the only choice will be some variation of an Evora, with a presumably much higher price point. On the other hand, how many dealers will survive on only the Evora? Certainly no Lotus-only dealers (are there any left?), and some multi-brand dealerships may drop out, which is a problem for those who do not live in metropolitan areas. Mechanical parts should remain plentiful, but watch out for trim parts, I would think?
I think you're correct that once the Elise/Exige models are done, current Elise/Exige owners will be the beneficiaries of their vehicles going up in value. However, regarding the Evora, it is somewhat of a trick question because as of now, most if not all sales from dealers have been Evora's so even when the Elise/Exige are gone, nothing really changes :shrug: And you're correct, no stand-alone Lotus dealers.

I see no reason why a multi-brand dealer would drop the Lotus franchise especially since they will be selling a Lotus model (Evora) that is competing with their other brand models and with the IPS and S versions around the corner, I see a big boost in sales for these dealers and at least the smart dealers realize this.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I agree. Abe, you always give intelligent, rational, and civil answers, and I thank you for that!:clap:

My main reason for not getting an Evora was my desire for a convertible (uh oh, slap from RoadDad), I mean targa. And, I really do think the back seat is small. I'm the only one in the family that can drive a manual, so the auto would appeal to me as well (slap, slap!! ouch, even Ferrari's have autos!). I will be very interested to see the new models, or potentially, perhaps there will be an Evora roadster/targa some day. I have an '09, so the timing of the new models works very nicely for me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wouldn't be counting on price appreciation for the Elises/ Exiges. There's a new generation of vehicles around the corner that will more than fill the vacuum. For example the Alfa 4C, likely to cause lots of problems for Lotus going forward -- especially without having a product to compete with it. It will sop up all of the latent demand before the new Elise hits the market.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I think the Tesla roadster dying is also further proof that the elise chassis won't be continued with any powerplant.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I think the Tesla roadster dying is also further proof that the elise chassis won't be continued with any powerplant.
I wouldn't tie them together. Lotus afterall builds the chassis so it's not as if they're running low. Tesla is simply changing strategies early since the roadster version isn't doing well.

As some have stated, there's still the possibility that Lotus will come out with a 6-cyclinder Exige down the road and if that happens, it's a high possibility that they keep the current chassis.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Lotus to cease production of 2ZZ-GE engined Elise/Exige

they specifically mentioned the 2zz engined cars. They do make a 1.6l, what about it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
According to the UK car magazines, LOTUS has signed a multi-year deal with Totota for the supply of 4cyl engines ONLY. Presumably the upcoming cars will get the mystical LOTUS in-house engine/s.

This in my opinion leaves the door open for the current 1.6 Elise to receive more power or better powerplant. The current engine is the 1.6 1ZR-FAE. Toyota do the 2ZR-FAE which is 1.8 litre with 147hp (In Toyota tune).

So I see the range along the same lines as current models:
1 - Elise 1.6 VVTL-i
2 - Elise 1.8 VVTL-i
3 - Elise 1.8 VVTL-i S/C
4 - Exige 1.8 VVTL-i
5 - Exige 1.8 VVTL-i S/C

Regardless of which way LOTUS go, I reckon that this engine deal secures Elise/Exige production until the 2015 Elise is released.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My main reason for not getting an Evora was my desire for a convertible (uh oh, slap from RoadDad), I mean targa.
I'm with you on that. I want a targa, like the Elise.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts