The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus Will Get Engines From Geely In the Future

Geely announced that its new engine-development department will supply Lotus. So, when will the British sports-car brand stop using Toyota power?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a29387623/lotus-geely-engines-volvo/

Lotus began using Toyota engines with the Elise in 2004, and continues to do so to this day. That could change, however. Today, Lotus parent company Geely announced its intention to merge its internal-combustion engine development with Volvo to free up the Swedish brand to develop electric powertrains. In a press release, Geely said the internal-combustion and hybrid powertrains it's developing will find homes in all its brands, including Lotus.

A spokesperson for Lotus told Road & Track simply "we won’t expand upon this suffice to say that details of future product programs will be shared when we are ready to announce them. This includes our powertrain strategy." The spokesperson didn't offer when (or if) its Toyota engine supply agreement will end.

We know that Lotus is readying a new sports car based on its current chassis for next year as a sort of step between today's Elise, Exige and Evora and a range of totally new sports cars a few years away. It seems safe to assume that those future sports cars could receive Geely engines. For the foreseeable future, though, Lotus will likely stick with Toyota power, except in the upcoming Evija hypercar, which gets a 2000-hp electric drivetrain developed in concert with Williams Advanced Engineering.

Currently, Volvo only produces three- and four-cylinder engines, relying on forced induction and electric motors to offer V-6- and V-8-rivaling performance. Geely's engine lineup consists mainly of three- and four-cylinders, too, though its Emgrand GT sedan is offered with a 3.5-liter V-6.

Lotus fans shouldn't be scared by this news. As it's shown with Toyota engines—and the Rover K-Series four-cylinder in the first Elise—Lotus can do great things with rather ordinary-seeming powerplants. And if it ends up abandoning V-6s altogether, remember that the vast majority of Lotus's roadgoing models have used four-cylinder engines.

via Motor Authority

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good find. Does anyone know the if Geely/Volvo engines are as reliable as Toyota?

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
A future of sucks and blows may be coming..SC/T Volvo type motors. What we need is MORE boost!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes--Volvo does appear to be bringing reliability to Geely....(pers opinion, not quite TYO caliber, but way better than anything Geely could do). And not to forget that Geely has 10% of Daimler ---certainly the potential to gain some tech there.

Happened across this pic that shows a Geely next to TWO Lotus's-- what looks like a prod ready Lotus SUV next to the Evora 400.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Yes--Volvo does appear to be bringing reliability to Geely....(pers opinion, not quite TYO caliber, but way better than anything Geely could do). And not to forget that Geely has 10% of Daimler ---certainly the potential to gain some tech there.

Happened across this pic that shows a Geely next to TWO Lotus's-- what looks like a prod ready Lotus SUV next to the Evora 400.
The blue SUV is a Lynk & Co model. This pic is just highlighting different brands under the Geely umbrella.

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good find. Does anyone know the if Geely/Volvo engines are as reliable as Toyota?
I'd (almost) bet that they don't compare to either Toyota or Honda.

·
Registered
90 Posts
With Geely placing big bets on electrification, now is the perfect time for Lotus to get a fresh start in the engine room with the disruption that is about to take place. It's a true level-setting in the industry, though sad for us 6M ICE folks, it gives the marque a fighting chance at a brighter future.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am glad I have an older Evora with a Toyota engine. no way i believe this is a good thing in terms of reliability and quality.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hope Lotus can snag Toyota's 5.0l v8 for the last car they use Toyota engines in. That engine is glorious but it has yet to be put in the appropriate chassis. I would love to see what Lotus could do with it.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
I have to agree that we have nothing to suggest what Geely has for Lotus....at this moment.....to replace the Toyota 6. I am not interested in a turbo four and less in a three as respects an Evora class car. Perhaps they will develop a motor that is more exciting. If they do that, it would be fine by me. As it stands, the crystal ball seems cloudy.

·
Hickory, NC
978 Posts
I hope Lotus can snag Toyota's 5.0l v8 for the last car they use Toyota engines in. That engine is glorious but it has yet to be put in the appropriate chassis. I would love to see what Lotus could do with it.
Agree 100% I’ll bet they could get 400-600 reliable horsepower out of it, maybe more.
And it would look nice in any of these concepts
428B7231-B9C5-4A80-BE11-57DCF0C5B34A.jpeg

229854EC-1C75-40DD-AAA2-9B36548EE8CD.jpeg
D6AB2236-C399-4445-8AEB-FE40E12FFF96.jpeg
AF86C520-D2EC-460C-B438-9DFFF6DC0911.jpeg
E07310F3-1A9B-440C-9F8C-B63AAAEAD6BB.jpeg

And the rumor has it that it will be the Elan for 2021 to take the Evoras place

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
760 Posts
I already found a hybrid driveline package for the Volvo S60 that has the right amount of power to make an interesting car if it can be intelligently crammed into an Evora tub. The normal 2.0 L turbo four Volvo engine just doesn't have the beans for an Evora. it would be adequate for a new Elise/Exige though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts