The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June 15 2020

"The yet-unnamed sports car would occupy a more premium segment than usual for Lotus, surpassing the brand’s regular $56,000-$98,000 base price bracket, according to UK publication. "

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Unless we finally get a New Elise/Exige that can carry the IC flag for another decade or so, the only thing I can expect is a final iteration of the Evora, say a GTS 430-450. Doesn't need 600 HP to compete as it weighs a thousand pounds less than all that big HP stuff. That's not now nor do I ever expect it to be the Lotus way.
A Exige V6 we could actually drive on a street in America would get my attention immediately!!

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Better have at least 600hp Lotus, you are falling behind
The P100 has less than that and weighs nearly 5,000lb because of it. If Lotus went the other way and kept it around the 1-ton mark and 200hp, it could still fit the Lotus ethos pretty well. The Elise already has a terrible range, so keep it in the 200mi territory can further help with mass and packaging, keeping the car smaller still.

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless we finally get a New Elise/Exige that can carry the IC flag for another decade or so, the only thing I can expect is a final iteration of the Evora, say a GTS 430-450. Doesn't need 600 HP to compete as it weighs a thousand pounds less than all that big HP stuff. That's not now nor do I ever expect it to be the Lotus way.
A Exige V6 we could actually drive on a street in America would get my attention immediately!!
This will be a 2022 model. It will be hybrid with above 500 hp and rumors say a shrunk Evija, not a final iteration of the Evora. A total different car. No more Elise/Exige/Evora.

Right after the hybrid they are going pure Electric in 2023 with prices on the $200k plus

·
Illegal Alien
4,778 Posts
This will be a 2022 model. It will be hybrid with above 500 hp and rumors say a shrunk Evija, not a final iteration of the Evora. A total different car. No more Elise/Exige/Evora.

Right after the hybrid they are going pure Electric in 2023 with prices on the $200k plus
Based on my factory conversations this new Type 131 will not be a shrunk Evija, but rather a lot of Evija styling put on to a new 2 seater body riding on a modified Evora chassis. Engine offerings may vary over the production run from ICE with SC and/or TC to the highest power final offering with hybrid at maybe up to 600 Hp.

June 15 2020

"The yet-unnamed sports car would occupy a more premium segment than usual for Lotus, surpassing the brand’s regular $56,000-$98,000 base price bracket, according to UK publication. "

I don't know where you got this quote from? Not the article that you linked. Talking with the factory, this car is intended to be priced in the corvette C8 range which is below the Current Evora GT market of 96 to 120+k. Yes the electric cars will cost more and closer to their higher competition but starting at 200K+, this has not been mentioned nor probable as 911's start below 100K , NSX metal stat mode 100 ..

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Based on my factory conversations this new Type 131 will not be a shrunk Evija, but rather a lot of Evija styling put on to a new 2 seater body riding on a modified Evora chassis. Engine offerings may vary over the production run from ICE with SC and/or TC to the highest power final offering with hybrid at maybe up to 600 Hp.

I don't know where you got this quote from? Not the article that you linked. Talking with the factory, this car is intended to be priced in the corvette C8 range which is below the Current Evora GT market of 96 to 120+k. Yes the electric cars will cost more and closer to their higher competition but starting at 200K+, this has not been mentioned nor probable as 911's start below 100K , NSX metal stat mode 100 ..
Dude UK media stated it is going to be the stop gap car before the new all electric platform. Yes, it will seat above the Evora GT. Whoever told you that it will be priced to compete with the C8 is wrong doesn't know what is talking about just like you. I just stated facts from UK media interview with CEO of Lotus. Surely he knows more than you.

Regarding Lotus electric cars price...well

-Tesla Roadster base price $200,000
-Founders Series Price $250,000

You talked to "factory" 🤣 🤣 🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Julian usually ends up knowing a lot more than some UK rag. Pricing up in territory like 200K will be suicide in the short run. Also Lotus is a driver's car. Not going to see many 200K track day cars. Last I checked the shirts spend a lot of time in the "factory". Time will tell. I put my money on Julian's hypothesis. It makes more financial sense and fits with the company's history.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if this will make existing ICE engined Lotus cars more or less valuable as time passes. Love the acceleration of all-electric drivetrains (full torque from a standing start) but so far, for me, they don't evoke the visceral feeling of an ICE. They also don't engage the driver like a manual transmission. Granted the transmission is only there to accommodate an ICE's power band, but it permits the driver to make tradeoffs in real time that an electric drivetrain doesn't even expose to the driver.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am not sure I am 100% convinced its the last ICE car from Lotus. I mean if that were the case, why even bother? Why not just start with a whole new line of EV and not waste time with an ICE car? I know this car may be a car to help bridge the gap with dealers, but it seems like a lot of work for what is most likely to be little reward. Even if its based on an existing platform like the Evora, there is still a lot of engineering and money that needs to be spent to get a new car off the ground. If the "last" ICE car sells like hot cakes, relative to Lotus' normal sales anyways, are they really just going to abandon it and the idea of ever making another ICE again? I have a feeling this next car is a test. If it sells very well (at least very well in Lotus standards) my guess is ICE at Lotus won't be completely out of the question for future cars. Lotus is probably smart not telling people that their future is ICE because that may very well end up a lie, whereas if they have a change of heart and they will make EV and ICE cars for a long while still I don't think anyone would be upset.

I mean Geely obviously is pushing hard for EV. They essentially mandated the Evija. In an interview with Russle Carr he basically said the higher ups and Geely said "we want an electric hypercar" as one of their first requests. Maybe this next car is a car Geely is allowing Lotus to possibly prove ICE is still viable. If it fails then most likely it would be the last Lotus ICE. If it succeeds then maybe ICE will still be on the table.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
We are a major market. They screwed up not homologating the Exige V6S. They sell Volvos here...why not?

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I must admit I found this all a bit confusing. The new car will borrow from the Evija, but be built on a modified Evora chassis. The engine will be ICE initially, priced like a C8, but generate up to 600 HP. Is that the base engine, or the eventual e-engine? Even if the base engine generates "only" 400 hp, ff it costs $20k-$30k less than the GT, I don't see how that would help resale. Maybe this is a page from the Porsche book, but Lotus cannot yet afford to build 47 exterior versions of the same car? I think we all know that the base price of a Porsche is just the beginning (e.g., the current lowest cost car - as opposed to SUV - is the 718 (300hp), listed at $57,500. It seems any 718 is in very short supply, and the MSRPs are in the upper '70s to low '80s for those few that are (in my area). The GT models range up to $150k. The "S" (350hp) starts at $70k, but 2 I found were both $90k. The GT4 (413 HP, so now in Evora GT territory) lists for $99k, and a couple found at $110-$130k. To make a long story short, are we to assume that the new car will be in this vein, i.e., different engines and trim levels, but looking much the same exterior wise (a few ducts, wings, bumpers to differentiate, and priced in $10-$15k jumps depending on engine (and maybe even a roadster? Though I must confess, I finally gave up. Been waiting 11 years for a new roadster, and that means I'm 11 years older, so recently purchased something completely different).

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Porsche has made an artform out of the sucker base MSRP tag, then m akes you wait ions if you want one equipped that way, you no tires, no AC, etc...kidding about the tires. Let's just be patient and wait. We are now less than a year away. We have always been happy in the past with the resulting vehicle. Considering what they have done to the Evora in the GT,and considering how forward thinking the Evija has become...I am happy to wait.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Must be the Itunes genius hard at work....

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Lotus should just wait till capacitor technology is ready for prime time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts