The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I should be working on other things (I'm off to that stuff next), but I woke up this morning about 6AM and just had to make a trailer hitch for Lotus...

I wanted to make something that would be very light and easy to schlep around. It needed to be easy to make or reproduce, and easy to remove from the car. Finally, I didn't want to be too invasive from an installation stand point... So this little setup required drilling just three holes in the rear most cross member. Those three holes obviously don't impact the integrity of the brace. It's fully boxed and there's loads of webbing remaining... I then used some nut inserts to create the threaded holes. Finally, I drilled 3 holes in the diffuser just big enough for the mounts to fit through... You can see that the hitch is even big enough to fit below diffuser exhaust in case I ever got back to that. The legs that extend forward rest on the under-tray near the two bolts that hold the under-tray on by the NACA ducts. There are rubber bumpers where the legs contact the under-tray. There's no doubt this setup can handle the minuscule tongue weight, as it holds me jump up and down it just fine. Then I've got sheer strength of 3 M8 bolts to deal with pulling and stopping the light weight load. Plenty strong for the purpose of getting 4 tires to the track, a jack, awning, and a cooler:cool:

Just needs a coat of powder coat to finish it up.

I thought you track rats and long distance travelers might find this interesting...

Best,

Phil

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pics...

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had those kind of photoshop skills:(:D

I thought about making the trailer, but just couldn't make one as cheap as Harbor Freight sells them. That trailer weighs 130lbs, is 4'x3.5', uses a 1 7/8 ball, AND costs 144 bucks-eek- I couldn't touch that price by the time I factored any of my time into it...

I gotta say, I'm pretty excited about this little setup. Will be nice to not feel like I need to trailer the car to the track just to bring an awning and a cooler, and keep miles off my track tires...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I was prepared to call shenanigans.

But that is awesome!

I would love to see that going down the road.

May I suggest putting some of those orange flags on your garage wall on it, about SUV eye level?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Phil, your fabrication skills never cease to amaze me. That's a track junkie's dream setup! Nice work!! :clap:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Can you throw one in with my tilting clam? :D

Just what I need, a reason to buy a set of dedicated track wheels and tires!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
very tidy and looks good.
now, if only i didn't have the dirt road lane to my home to deal with.
great for the blacltop only folks.
i envy them.
sam

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks All... I actually got started around 630ish this AM and finish around 10AM. I then had to assemble the trailer which came unassembled. By the time i cleaned the shop for a photo op and got the trailer put together, it might have been 6-7 hours or so...

The hitch takes just about 2 minutes to remove since there's only 3 bolts. The bolts are up in those 3 tubes you see in the earlier pics. I wanted the mounting surfaces to be flush so the bolts would be in a tight sheer where they're stongest...

I just went for an hour long drive: over RR tracks, down the highway, et cetera to put the rig through the paces. It passed with flying colors, Whew!:D:nanner:

So who's ready for the track? I am:shift:

That said, part of my drive took me by a Home Depot and I actually thought to myself that I could use the new rig to pick up some drywall or plywood too, rotfl That would be a site for sure!

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
A novel approach to a problem I thought wasn't solvable. But it looks like the whole rig can pivot on the three mounting bolts if the trailer tongues goes up, then down, with any force, stressing the bolts and crossmember in various ways. It might be better to figure out a way to secure the front end as well. Meanwhile, I gave up and bought a trailer.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jay- I need to see if Team Dynamics will make me a custom trailer set since I've got so many of those wheels on display...:cool:

The hitch won't pivot. It's got 3 M8 grade 10.9 bolts saying so;) Seriously though, there's just not that much pressure on the thing. I drove it at speed over obsticles today that I normally wouldn't take my car through without a trailer on it. Everything is still just as tight as it was when I put it on. It doesn't even make any noise inside the car, which I was really surprised about-eek-

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
533 Posts
Did you test it out to see how much it hurts your acceleration though?? :D

Looks pretty bada$$, nice job.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hmmm, looks like the boomerang tow hook won't fit with this on there. Not too big of a deal I guess, just two more bolts to deal with when removing.

As for the trailer, I was looking at some of the miata threads with tow hitches. They said there is an upgraded trailer with a bit bigger wheels and a tad wider at harbor freight. The basic one only allowed four 225's all the way across. Probably ok for stock sizes, but for those with 245's it might get tight.

Hmmm, after looking it weighs another 55lbs... Will 12" tires fit on that one phill? 8" is pretty small for those of us driving 5hrs to the track. :(

Here was the link I was looking at from the Miata guys.

Autocross Trailer for Your Miata

·
Registered
853 Posts
+1 on another great one and I'd be happy to buy one, too. Phil, Can you open the rear clam while the draw bar is attached with acceptable clearance?

·
Registered
56 Posts
+2... If you make a kit, I will buy at least one

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm, after looking it weighs another 55lbs... Will 12" tires fit on that one phill? 8" is pretty small for those of us driving 5hrs to the track. :(
The unit with the 12" tires is the same size- I think... We have a Harbor Freight Store and the 12" trailer appeared to be the same as the 8" wheel trailer - just with smaller tires... Given the amount of fender gap, I would imagine the 12" tires would fit right on. Even if they wouldn't, it would be VERY easy to to just remove the fenders or space them up an inch or two if needed. So I would say yes, they'll fit...with an asterisk;)

+1 on another great one and I'd be happy to buy one, too. Phil, Can you open the rear clam while the draw bar is attached with acceptable clearance?
Works with the Clamhinge:up:

+2... If you make a kit, I will buy at least one
At least one? How many trailers are you wanting to pull at once?-poke-:D:D

Thanks again for the comments. I'll be happy to recreate these if there's sufficient interest. I'll use it at the next couple track events to be sure that I'm happy with it and make any changes that may be needed as I put put more miles on it. Initially, the setup appears quite sound.

When I completed my maiden voyage with the trailer yesterday and pulled into the shop driveway, my wife was outside waiting for me. I looked at her from inside the car grinning ear-to-ear and gave her a big :up:... Her response was a resounding "YOU'RE SUCH A DORK." Not sure why, but I get that alot from her:shrug::D

Best,

Phil

1 - 20 of 132 Posts