The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a Lotus yet, but I'm hoping to in the very near future. But reading the forum posts about a myriad of engine problems in these cars has made me a little wary. I thought one of the benefits of a Lotus is its use of the 'reliable' Toyota poweplant? If the engine is so reliable, then why all of the stories about cam and rocker arm problems, etc.? Is this just a matter of a vocal minority of owners who have had legitimate issues with the car and come here to vent, or is the Toyota engine in the Elise/Exige really that unreliable? I can deal with some window leaks, squeaks and rattles, weak AC etc., but if the engine is going to break down repeatedly then I'm going to look elsewhere for a driving thrill.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Toyota has the worst rep in the business. Go with a Fiat or a Yugo.

Kidding, of course. There are some issues, perhaps, but I doubt the current batch of Lotus are statistically worse than any other brand. I have no problems after 12k miles over 14 months. I drive it in the rain, on the track, to Home Depot, etc. I'm sorry to disappoint you, it's just another car. A really cool frikkin' car.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Everything Lotus-ish has held up ok in my car, and I was surprised and dismayed to have Toyota engine problems at 15,000 miles. I agree w/RoadDad, even if he is kidding.

Wendy

·
Registered
134 Posts
No matter what car company engine you run across, there will always be problems. If your scared a Toyota engine might fail on you constantly, you might as well not touch any car because Toyota & Honda engines on average last longer then anything else around. Thats a statistical fact.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't own a Lotus yet, but I'm hoping to in the very near future. But reading the forum posts about a myriad of engine problems in these cars has made me a little wary. I thought one of the benefits of a Lotus is its use of the 'reliable' Toyota poweplant? If the engine is so reliable, then why all of the stories about cam and rocker arm problems, etc.? Is this just a matter of a vocal minority of owners who have had legitimate issues with the car and come here to vent, or is the Toyota engine in the Elise/Exige really that unreliable? I can deal with some window leaks, squeaks and rattles, weak AC etc., but if the engine is going to break down repeatedly then I'm going to look elsewhere for a driving thrill.
Driving a Lotus is already a thrill. With its handling and quickness, the toyota engine is just icing on the cake. I'd say get a saturn sky. They are much more fun and reliable too.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If you're really worried about the sky falling you ought not go outside. LOL!

I like the "get an EVO" or "get a Cayman S" comments, awesomeness. :D

Again this is a Toyota motor not a Rover and certainly not a Audi/VW thing. If that isn't enough to sway your fears, then the cars are not for you: get a certified pre-owned Lexus LS and be smug in your uber reliable car :D

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Mazda Miatas are very reliable too. In fact, I swapped a Miata engine into my Lotus. A couple thousand miles later and the #3 intake cam screwed up.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Lotus owners saying 'get an Evo or a Cayman S'? This isn't good... :eek:
I understand your confusion and will explain.

For some time now there has been a huge conspiracy on this forum. Almost immediately after buying our cars we all quickly come to realise that we have made a big mistake. On the few occasions when the car actually starts it sounds terrible, is incredibly slow and handles like a boat.

In order to have any chance of selling our lemons we fostered the illusion that the Lotus was indeed a reliable vehicle that was orgasmic to drive (especially on the track).

Now, however, we have become more subtle. Those new members prepared to search diligently for the answers to all their questions are still taken in by the thousands of misleading posts that have already been made.

Those new members, such as yourself, who were smart enough to just come out and ask a question without spending any time on stupid research, are rewarded with completely honest answers.

Simple really.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

For some time now there has been a huge conspiracy on this forum. Almost immediately after buying our cars we all quickly come to realise that we have made a big mistake. On the few occasions when the car actually starts it sounds terrible, is incredibly slow and handles like a boat.

In order to have any chance of selling our lemons we fostered the illusion that the Lotus was indeed a reliable vehicle that was orgasmic to drive (especially on the track).

Now, however, we have become more subtle. Those new members prepared to search diligently for the answers to all their questions are still taken in by the thousands of misleading posts that have already been made.

Those new members, such as yourself, who were smart enough to just come out and ask a question without spending any time on stupid research, are rewarded with completely honest answers.

Simple really.

Well put. And I'll add, when you decide you don't like the car and get rid of it, for whatever reason like the cupholder was too small, be sure to hang around and constantly remind us that you didn't like it, and that we're idiots.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Simple really.

I did do some research, and that turned up a host of problems that owners have been complaining about. I'm not trolling here. I asked a legitimate question in the hopes of getting a set of balanced replies which might put some of my reliability concerns to rest. Not sure why I'm getting nothing but hostility.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well put. And I'll add, when you decide you don't like the car and get rid of it, for whatever reason like the cupholder was too small, be sure to hang around and constantly remind us that you didn't like it, and that we're idiots.
Wow, I didn't call your baby ugly, I just asked a simple question about the reliability of the engine after reading about some problems. Sheesh...

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Fine, I'll answer.

Relax. It's a Toyota engine. Someone pointed out to me on this forum that Toyota engines don't die, they just get exported to third world countries.

Do regular maintenance on your car and it'll be fine!

18k in exactly one whole year and 4 days of ownership, and the only engine related problem I had was a defective cat pipe which was replaced with no hassle.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Wow, I didn't call your baby ugly, I just asked a simple question about the reliability of the engine after reading about some problems. Sheesh...
Sorry. But that has happened enough times, despite numerous warnings beforehand that an Elise is not for everyone, that it is extremely irritating for many of us.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts