The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully, many of you know about a very successful and amazingly enjoyable LotusTalk UK trip in 2007. There was talk amongst the participants of the 2007 trip to do it again in 2008. So Ellen (premier trip organizer :bow: ) and I have been researching and pondering about a 2008 trip... at the same time Richard P has been looking into a special Lotus 60th anniversary trip which would look something like this>>>
Thursday Sept 11th Arrive at airports (Gatwick/Heathrow) back to Norwich
Friday Day of rest....possibly. Lotus dinner in the evening with speaker(s)
Saturday Trip to Classic Team Lotus, other places of Lotus interest such as ACBC final
resting place, Ketteringham Hall etc.
Sunday Lotus 60th celebration.
Monday Donington Car museum
Tuesday Back to airports, or onward journeys......

Richard has ties to Lotus and this sounds like a great program, but nothing is finalized (call it a work in progress). Both Ellen and I are interested in this (Richard’s) trip so we thought why not ADD to it...NOT replace or compete with it. So wanted to gauge interest in a post Lotus 60th trip to continue to Scotland for a 5 to 7 day tour (could go by bus as we did for the 2007 trip) thru the central and upper Highlands, hitting B&B type lodging, local sites, food and yes the 'wee dram...' and ending up in Glasgow or Edinburgh. In simple terms arrive Heathrow/London then the 4 day program Richard is organizing then we would continue onto the next leg to Scotland and depart out of Edinburgh. Ellen can chime in on some specifics but please treat this post as an 'exploratory' to gauge interest.

Michael

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
When I did the day track event last year at Hethel here is what we did - First off buy Brit Rail pass over here vs over there you will save a lot of money, we flew into Heathrow found killer deal at London Tower Hilton right next to the station, stayed one night, took a train the next morning up to Edinburgh and stayed at an amazing hotel for pretty cheap called the glass house 2nights, took day trip over to Glasgow, then came down to Norwich, stayed in a cool little B&B about 3 miles from Lotus called the Yew Tree, the owners have been their all their lives. Then after the track day took the train back down to London and stayed one night in the St.James Sofitel for get this - $90 a night !!! priceline is your friend sometimes !

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Hmm, very tempting. I'm going to put myself down as a maybe because I've got a trip to Marrakech in the works for the same time frame.

You keep this up you're going to get used to traveling without dive gear. ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
You keep this up you're going to get used to traveling without dive gear. ;)
Well, one of us, maybe. :cool: I've got my gear in for servicing after returning from Indonesia in December, and I head to the Galapagos (again) in June. Michael has, however, convinced me that a vacation does not have to include diving. ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
When I did the day track event last year at Hethel here is what we did - First off buy Brit Rail pass over here vs over there you will save a lot of money, we flew into Heathrow found killer deal at London Tower Hilton right next to the station, stayed one night, took a train the next morning up to Edinburgh and stayed at an amazing hotel for pretty cheap called the glass house 2nights, took day trip over to Glasgow, then came down to Norwich, stayed in a cool little B&B about 3 miles from Lotus called the Yew Tree, the owners have been their all their lives. Then after the track day took the train back down to London and stayed one night in the St.James Sofitel for get this - $90 a night !!! priceline is your friend sometimes !
The one thing we'd like to do differently is to hit the Scottish Isles and Highlands. Thanks for the tip re: buying the rail pass here vs. there. (And I've heard great things about the Glass House. Good choice!)

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
You can put me down. I will be in UK from July 2008-August 2009, so I will be around for this. I don't know any Lotus owners in the UK, and will be new in the area.

I will be in Northern London (Regents Park Area).

·
Registered
538 Posts
All -

As all this starts firming up, please be sure to get on Richard's email list. His address is [email protected], and he's handling the UK/Hethel end of things.

Michael and I will be organizing an add-on to Scotland for those who are interested.

Thanks!

Ellen :wave:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts