The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LOTUS USA Release the damn cars already! Part II

What are you guys thinking in holding cars at the Port for weeks upon weeks. You are holding cars longer then it takes Lotus UK to build and ship them. To add insult to injury these port delays on the East coast are self induced! Don't you think that the original delay of an April delivery, the LSS delay, and the multiple missed deadlines where enough? Now you continue yet again to hold cars because you don't want to hurt the feelings of some dealers. What the hell is that? It's your damn customers that you should be thinking about. We are loosing another whole summer month now for what? It seems most are happy to hear of anyone getting cars. I dont think anyone really cares for others to not get a car that is already here so that some dealer feeling are protected. I really don't even understand the silly notion to begin with :rolleyes:. Thanks Lotus I'm glad you think this stupid reason is worth it, now the enthusiast who have supported this car for years get to park it in the garage for winter. :( way to go!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
You are not serious? :confused:

Lotus USA is not holding cars.

That is soooo last month.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Randy Chase said:
You are not serious? :confused:

Lotus USA is not holding cars.

That is soooo last month.
No Randy not exactly, did you miss this post: Dated 07-27-2004
Where Are The Cars That Landed 7/17??

(childressmd quote)

oh, for f*'s sake...
...just got off the phone with St. Louis dealership...

My car arrived on the 7/17 shipment. Got the clear bra. Car's ready to go, but not been transported yet. It's just sitting at port, or the distribution center, or wherever.

Dealer talked with 'factory'. No one has any idea when it might get transported. He said that they are still trying to get demos and #1 customer cars out to ALL the dealers, so my car might well sit there for a while, as those other cars have priority.

(sigh)

I ask if it will be ready to pick up next week or the following weekend, and he honesty doesn't know. He thinks middle of the month... so in essence, about a month after it hit port? End Quote

It's apparently true cause I dont have my car from the 17th arrival date and my dealer dosent know why it isnt already here

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
We have different interpretations of what the dealer told you then.

Look at the facts. Consider how many dealers are getting customer cars and still don't have demos. Consider how many dealers have multiple customer cars. Consider that some dealers still don't have any cars.

Do you really think there is a concerted effort at this point by Lotus USA to make it fair for all dealers and hold certain cars?

I think it's much more random than that and that the entire process is taking longer than anyone thought it would. Your car was not one of the early arrivals if it came in on the 17th, it was behind 50 or so other cars and the transporter is supposed to be moving out all the cars in the order of receipt with the exception of how it works out for their trip logistics.

You said "he really does not know." Okay, but that does not mean middle of next month. He said it would probably be ready to pick up next week also. That might be very true. So you car came in the 17th and if it was ready next week, we are just around 15-20 days. About what it seems is normal right now for all cars.

P.S. No, I can't read every post so I probably missed your's. But it is not an issue of Lotus USA intentionally holding your car.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Anyway, I am only arguing the point that you made that Lotus was intentionally holding some cars to appease dealerships. That would be conjecture only and incorrect from what I know.

If you posted that it basically sucks and takes too long and you want your damn car right now.. I am with you. I am waiting too. And the closer it gets, the more frustrating it is. And as other people get the cars and we read about them, it is also adding to that frustration.

But heck, if the dealer calls you on Monday or Tuesday and says "hey, your car is here!".... it will all be worth it. Yes it requires patience and delayed gratification. Just hang in there. The wait is coming to an end.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Well if it is just a an issue of cars ahead needing to be delivered and not waiting for cars behind on some boat then thats fine. I'll go back in my hole now :D
Do you feel better after venting now?:D

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Hmm...

If they really are taking that long from port-dealer, I may not be looking at September after all, since my car hasn't shipped yet as far as I'm aware.

I was hoping to at least be able to take it out for the fall colors tour that FVMC puts together before storing it for the winter :(

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I should note that I expect that how long it took for cars in middle July will not stay the same. They had all that artificial backlog to clear and then it is a continual process improvement.

I know Lotus is working on speeding up this part. They recognize it's taking too long and are actively working on it.

Anyway, should not be that long in August.

Consider though that the factory shut down for two weeks (will come back after next week).

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Hopefully the kink is fixed by the time my car arrives in port...

If I don't have my car for the colors tour in October, I'm not going to be very happy.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Might be relevant, but I recently spoke with my companies freight forwarder on East Coast and she related that there are big delays at the ports for imports due to heightened security by customs.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yep. Cars that were scheduled to arrive on the 23rd of July ended up arriving on July 30th, a week behind. Customs delay.

So there are some delays on both coasts that are out of the control of Lotus.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Yep. Cars that were scheduled to arrive on the 23rd of July ended up arriving on July 30th, a week behind. Customs delay.

So there are some delays on both coasts that are out of the control of Lotus.
Lotus is trying to smuggle "speed" through customs.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Randy has done a fabulous job sharing what's happening. :clap:

I thought I'd just chime in and share this thought...

The folks at LCU and in Hethel are doing everything possible to produce the cars and get them here. There are no conspiracies, no evil plots, nothing except a lot of really great folks busting their arses to get a quality product to market in a timely manner.

Our complaints are not falling on deaf ears. Lotus feels the pain too. But, the reality is ports are backlogged, customs & security is heightened, and parts vendors did not meet specs.

Things like websites and fancy borchures are moved to the bottom of the "to-do" list in order to focus upon getting cars on transporters, information to dealers, etc.

I understand the frustration, but IMO we enthusiasts should be more supportive (patient).

[/soapbox]

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
23 Posts
There IS an evil plot...Lotus' competitors are trying to make sure Lotus doesn't get paid for the cars they've produced...Honda, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Chevy and Mazda representatives have been seen in joint negotiation with the teamsters to ensure maximum possible delay in the delivery of our Elises to the dealerships.;) Their goal is simple: Push Lotus over the financial edge so that they will not have to redesign their 'sports cars' to compete with Liz. ;) That is all...

·
Registered
970 Posts
did anyone from this board take delivery this week???...seems like there are only like 4 members on here that have their cars so far

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is there someone here who ordered the following:

Chrome Orange
Sport Package
Touring Package
Hardtop

?

If so your car is sitting at port.

Did someone order

Ardent Red
Biscuit
Sport Package
Touring Package
(no hardtop)

If so, your car is sitting at port.

I know someone who works at the company that does the PDI in Brunswick and she shared this information with me. I shared what I could with Randy to try and assist him.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I think the issue is more with the transportation of the cars by the trucking company than any conspiracy to keep you from your car.

Chris
BTW> Took my friend up, (silver bullet, never posts) he picked up his Silver Elise this morning at Lotus Atlanta, he's a very happy camper.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Later Apex said:
Is there someone here who ordered the following:

Chrome Orange
Sport Package
Touring Package
Hardtop

?

If so your car is sitting at port.

Did someone order

Ardent Red
Biscuit
Sport Package
Touring Package
(no hardtop)

If so, your car is sitting at port.

I know someone who works at the company that does the PDI in Brunswick and she shared this information with me. I shared what I could with Randy to try and assist him.
Have you seen this car? :p

Krypton Green
Touring
LSS
Hardtop

Missing since: Fall 2003

1 - 20 of 26 Posts