The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stopped on 635E between Preston and Hillcrest this morning in a long line getting onto the high 5. The silver Honda behind me just didn't stop. A few go's and stops prior, he actually ended up on the shoulder because he was hitting the gas and breaking late. :( For some reason that alone was not enough for him to get the picture that he was driving like a tard.

Stuff of note:
Right side door would not open. Right back tire is bent out and would not turn. Engine would not turn over. Battery stayed connected to wires, but was on the right side of the trunk. Trunk won't close. New Tires have 50 miles on them. Had my insurance papers inside the Mesh behind the driver's seat before the wreck. After the wreck, nothing was inside the Mesh as the impact threw everything out.

I'm fine, just really sore. Dr said I would be extra sore tomorrow.

Totalled? :crazyeyes

This is the damage on the silver honda:

This is the damage on the white honda accord in front of me:

Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffandlaura/sets/72157600325511214/

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Looks repairable. No obvious frame damage.

Oh, and "that will buff right out". Had to be said.:D

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Thats fixeable... But might be totalled out due to the expensiveness of the clams and other parts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I think total due to front and rear damage. Let me know if u want to part out the wheels tires :) Sorry for being a vulture.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If it were just the clams they'd prolly fix it, but by the looks of things the front crash structure is most likely damaged and if that's the case I bet they total it. I think your insurance settlement should include getting to beat the other driver with a sack of oranges, but that's just me.

·
Registered
982 Posts
wow...that sucks...+1 for sack of oranges beatdown

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mine was totaled, the damage to the front of your car looks almost the same as mine, and you have rear damage on top of that! So...

Mine: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48254&highlight=wrecked

They totaled it due to the cost of repair, my frame was fine... I'd say since you have rear damage too it's gone - but then again they ruled mine totaled due to the high salvage value and since your rear clam is gone it's not worth as much so they may benefit by repairing....

But my guess is the cost to repair > total - salvage costs

Sorry to see another one go, I know it sucks man... just make sure your insurance company is aware of the factory options you had on your car, bumped up my settlement a couple extra thousand because they hadn't accounted for them at first

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Right rear tire is at an odd angle...suspension and/or frame damage is a given.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
So, now that you are fine and walked away, what are you going to name the next one?

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
wow, sorry about your car, man. :(

i thought it would be a drag racing thread when I saw the title.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My wife is upset because she only drove it a few times before getting pregnant. She was looking forward to taking it out once in awhile after we deliver( eta 1-2 wks). Also, her Dad offered his car to us until we get this sorted out. While that's very generous, the car is an Accord. Oh the irony.

I forgot to mention a few details from the scene:
Policeman #1 asks me as we survey the damage in the rear, "Who makes this car?"

Policeman #2 tells the guy who caused the accident that, "these cars cost $200k!" The driver then tells me he only has 100k in insurance and that he just knows I'm going to sue for the rest.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think it's toast. You were able to walk away, livid but walking. Sorry to see your baby in such a condition, what will you replace it with IF it gets written off?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Policeman #2 tells the guy who caused the accident that, "these cars cost $200k!" The driver then tells me he only has 100k in insurance and that he just knows I'm going to sue for the rest.
I would have been like "yep." Sucks about the car though, seems like people like running into Lotus'.:(

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
That's why you always carry some Ferrari stickers and a prancing horse emblem on you just in case. BAM new F430 :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
What a bummer! So sorry to hear about your car. I live in the middle of nowhere with very few traffic jams and find myself constantly veering away from other drivers as they take 4 and 5 looks at my car while veering into my lane. Even have people pulling along side me taking pics with their camera phones and swerving into my lane. Sure this guy wasnt taking a picture of your car with his camera phone causing the accident? Almost got rear ended at a stoplight by some fool taking a pic of my car with his cell phone. I stay in a constant state of defense and watch cars behind me and along my sides. I couldnt imagine driving an Elise in a big city with huge traffic jams and high volumes of traffic. And what is it about those fools that just love to race from a mile behind to see your car on the highway and then just ride your bumper at 80mph? I shake 'em loose with more throttle and just walk away from them since the car can go from 80 to 110 in a heartbeat. Most folks dont stick around after 100 mph.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts