The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:Okay not quite an ultimatum yet, but anyone experience this...

I genuinely love my new Elise, but I wouldn't ever put a vehicle on a higher pedestal than my wife. Needless to say neither her nor her friends think so. Anyways, long story short, things at home have been miserable since picking up the new ride. In the month I've had her, I've waxed her twice & installed a starshield on the front. Somehow that has been construed as me washing the car "all the time" and being an egotistical jerk. It's painful to imagine ever parting ways with my new Lotus, but it seems inevitable. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

I genuinely love my new Elise, but I wouldn't ever put a vehicle on a higher pedestal than my wife. Needless to say neither her nor her friends think so. Anyways, long story short, things at home have been miserable since picking up the new ride. In the month I've had her, I've waxed her twice & installed a starshield on the front. Somehow that has been construed as me washing the car "all the time" and being an egotistical jerk. It's painful to imagine ever parting ways with my new Lotus, but it seems inevitable. Anyone else experience this?
You've probably got something more serious than car envy going on.

I try to wash all of our cars each weekend, not that I think my significant other would care if I only washed the Lotus.

Alot of women just want to be the "baby" so to speak... so the car is competition.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
My wife refers to my Lotus as "the other woman", but in a good-natured way.
I was a car guy when we met (Austin Healey with a 327, shortly replaced by a Lotus Super Seven), so that helps.

It's all about balance.

Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Sorry, no. Quite the opposite actually http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/few-reasons-my-wife-great-35720/. There are a few posts in that thread that may help you however... They are the one's that include "bright and sparkly." Although, that was not true in my case, perhaps taking some of those suggestions may help ;).

Pamper her extra over the next few weeks. She's worth it. And treat the wife nicely, too. :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found this post a little humorous as my wife used to treat me as described over my motorcycle. We agreed that she would feel better about me being on four wheels than two and is thus more happy to date...new lotus coming tomorrow and I'm bringing her with me for the ride.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Somehow that has been construed as me washing the car "all the time" and being an egotistical jerk. It's painful to imagine ever parting ways with my new Lotus, but it seems inevitable. Anyone else experience this?
Don't sell the car. Clearly there are greater relationship issues at bay. They will just crop up again even if you sell the car. What's the real deal? She wants more attention? For you to spend more time with her? She's insecure? Keep the Lotus and start marriage counseling. Presenting issue: My wife if jealous of my car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I first got "Lisa" my wife was the same way. I offered this up to her: I'll get rid of the Lotus if you get rid of all but 3 pairs of shoes. I still have the car and she still has a ton of shoes :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Like others are saying...the car isn't the issue, something else is and you need to find out what. The car is just an excuse and is hiding the real issue.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts

Right car, wrong girl? :shrug:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Obviously you haven't been married long enough. She should be happy you are not spending time and money cavorting with other women. I my case when buying my Elise I was far more concerned about hurting the feelings of my '71 BMW coupe than my wife's feeling. Now I have to spend equal time driving each car, equal money buying goodies for them and washing both at the same time - kind of a ménage à trois with water and bubbles. We all know how temperamental exotic and vintage cars can be. Oh yeah, I didn't give up the bike either but I never worry about it's feelings because it's a Harley and they have thick skin.

*questionable comment removed*

I always try to indulge my wife before indulging myself. This way she feels guilty and encourages me to buy and play with toys. Have you bought your wife a new car, house, diamonds, furs lately? Get her a Day Spa pass (or several) and tell her that she's pretty and no stupid car can take a backseat to her but when she's at the spa you can go drive your Elise like you stole it!
:coolnana:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
The car is just an excuse and is hiding the real issue.
actually the real issue seems pretty clear;

you are married to a b***h.

as others have said, keep the car, the rest will take care of itself.

i am a newlywed, so i really dont know anything, except thank god i am not in your situation.
life is too short to not be happy.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.